Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color thread for the back of this quilt?? >

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

What color thread for the back of this quilt??

Old 06-29-2016, 11:12 AM

Default What color thread for the back of this quilt??

I am ready to start FMQ on my DSM, I have the quilt sprayed and pinned, I have never had real good luck with using a different color thread in the bobbin then the top thread, it seems like I get little dots of the darker thread coming through to the top. I am not sure if this is fixable or not..

My question is, the back of this quilt is a solid dark blue and the front is a white background with blue stars. What color would you use to quilt this quilt. would you use a dark blue for the bobbin to match the backing fabric and white for the top? I am not the best FM quilter and I think if I used white for the back it would show up all of my mistakes, and I am sure there will be a lot..The same goes for the top if I used blue for the top it would show up all my mistakes too and I don't think the blue would look good on the front of this quilt. + I have to think about the little blue dots showing up on the front using white thread on the front and blue on tie back

Anyone have thoughts on colors of threads to use, I would love to hear from you, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails img_1460.jpg  
Old 06-29-2016, 11:21 AM

I would use a blue bobbin and a white/off white top thread,. I would balance my tension so no "dots" appear. It can be done.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:37 PM

I always use the same bobbin thread as the top thread. I think it is almost impossible to balance the tension so that you don't get "pokies" on one side or the other.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Pretty top! This may be a good spot to use invisible thread on the top and match the bobbin thread to the back?
Old 06-29-2016, 01:24 PM

I am not good at FMQing but I just had to tell you I LOVE YOUR TOP!!!!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:45 PM

Invisafil by WonderFil might be a solution. It's 100wt polyester. It is not clear like the invisible thread, but it "sinks" into the fabric. You could use white Invisafil in both the bobbin and the needle. The white would sink into the dark blue of the batting, and it would work well on the top. No worries about "pokies". It's a good alternative to invisible thread: some machines don't like invisible thread ....
Old 06-29-2016, 02:05 PM

Lovely quilt top!!! What is the name of the block?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Monofilament on the top and dark blue on the back. Or a light blue that will show up on all blues on the top with dark blue on the back.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

You have a tough choice here. The challenge is on! How about a medium blue blend on the back and top. Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.

The tension can be balanced and that can take many tries. It might seem impossible so don't give up. Do some practicing on some scraps of lights and darks with both threads. You could also try monofilament in the bobbin. Superior has a great mono thread.

The top is fantastic. Anxious to see it quilted.
peace
Old 06-29-2016, 02:32 PM

Not the answer you are looking for, but I would use a backing fabric with a design just to avoid this problem I have enough things to think about while FMQing and don't want to add finding the perfect tension or using invisible thread. I hope you find a solution that works for you. Please let us know what works for you.