Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What color is your sewing room? >

What color is your sewing room?

What color is your sewing room?

Old 01-02-2021, 12:12 PM

Mine is such a pale blue it looks white with light yellow closet doors. I have recently changed all the light bulbs to the daylight so there is no yellow haze anymore. It's drove me crazy that fabric seemed to change color when I would take it outside. My DH walked in and was amazed by the difference.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:35 PM

I love my sewing room so much! We painted it Tame Teal by Sherwin Williams in semi gloss that we purchased in Lowes. All the cabinets are white. The cutting table is white and so are the countertops. I used glass drawer pulls and glass door knobs. It is in a daylight basement facing north with two large windows. Lots of ceiling can lights and white Christmas lights around the perimeter of the room makes for a light, bright, clean feeling wonderful sewing room. I have only my amazing husband to thank!
Old 01-02-2021, 12:37 PM

Default my room is a very light purple/white

But I wish I had painted it a very light gray, I'm a dental lab. tech. and we work in rooms that are very light gray so they don't effect the colors your eyes see, we also use daylight bulbs to keep the light in the room from casting yellows into the room. I also have a dark purple accent wall made from chalkboard paint, wish I had not done that too... I may change it this year.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:35 PM

I was going for lavender, myself, until our child with a fine art degree said that color reflecting from the walls would affect how I perceived colors of fabric and thread. There are several windows that I thought would help with that, but I followed her advice, anyway.

hugs,
charlotte
Old 01-02-2021, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

When we moved here I couldn't decide what color so it is just a cream color with white trim. I could change it easily, but, it seems okay. I'm not distracted or disturbed by it. I'm comfortable in there.
Old 01-02-2021, 01:54 PM

Mine are a soft floral wall paper. It is very relaxing when sewing. I have never thought about changing this room. I would love to redo the ceilings however. They are just not in the budget right now.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:20 PM

I am also aware of how colour can affect what you see. After the floor is done I will change the dark turquoise walls to a light yellow or a dark cream. I am thinking then that with the right lighting that my fabric colours will be true.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:06 PM

My studio is “Butter Yellow” and is located in the SW corner of our home with almost floor to ceiling window (with vertical blinds) on the west side.

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 01-03-2021, 05:07 AM

I moved into my current home in May. All walls except the main bedroom were a cream color, probably due to realto.advice to the previous owners. My sewing room is the 2nd bedroom & is on the SE corner of my house. It gets great light. I did want to change the room some, so I bought a pale yellow for it. I have Ott lights on my cutting & sewing tables to assist with true fabric colors. My drawer space is a wonderful 12-drawer cabinet rescued from a redo of a college biology lab. A friend & I sanded it, painted the insides of the drawers (due to college kids' graffiti) put a polymer coating & casters on it, & moved it in. It's wonderful, & a lovely golden oak color.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:22 AM

I live in a cabin, so my walls are an aged fir...amber brown. If I had drywall on my walls, I'd paint them either white, or a very pale gray to show off all of the other colors of the quilts.