Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a cutting mat for a longarm? >

What is a cutting mat for a longarm?

What is a cutting mat for a longarm?

Old 06-20-2014, 07:29 PM

Default What is a cutting mat for a longarm?

I was looking at a brochure for Gammill longarms, and in the list of available options, they have "cutting mat". How are cutting mats tied to a long arm machine? Is there someway to put a large cutting mat on the frame and use it for rotary cutting?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm, no idea. If there is such a thing to be able to trim the quilted quilt edge on the frame, it would be mighty handy.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

I also haven't heard of it, but I can imagine one going all along the table where pantographs are loaded, useful for any cutting where a long table is helpful. (Batting, trimming edges of quilts, etc.)
Old 06-20-2014, 09:02 PM

I've only seen photos of this - they lay on the frame bed, and they would be handy for trimming! I have mirrors on mine so I can more easily see the stitching on the backing.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

My Hinterberg frame has a long table running from end-to-end on the backside. This is where I can lay a pantograph pattern, which are sewn from the back of the machine. (My machine has an extra set of handles on the back for pantograph work.) I think quite a few machine frames are set up this way, especially if the longarm setup does not come with computerized quilting. Computerized quilting options include pantographs which can be digitally loaded -- no paper pattern -- so you can work from the front of the machine, using the pattern displayed on the computer monitor as your guide. So, I expect the Gammill comes with this back platform for laying down paper pantograph patterns.

One thing I will say is that a cutting mat laid on my Hinty's platform would be too low for me to be comfortable cutting.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Power Poster

is it possible that it says ruler table? that would be a platform around the needle to be able to do ruler work.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

I've seen them at quilt shows. They lay on the back area of the frame where you would put your panto paper. I'm not sure that I would ever use it to cut anything as it would be too low, and the way my frame is laid out, you couldn't really cut excess backing or batting. There were folks buying them, however, so I must be missing something!
Old 06-21-2014, 03:58 AM

I agree, too low for cutting...but my back table is plexiglass(APQS)...makes a great light box.