Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you think about Lancaster Show this year? >

What did you think about Lancaster Show this year?

What did you think about Lancaster Show this year?

Old 03-17-2013, 06:39 AM

I went to the original sewing and quilt show in Atlanta last weekend. Really enjoyed myself. I attended several classes and listened to several designers talk about their quilts and techniques. I will be attending the expo in Pittsburgh. The dates are Aug 22,23,&24.. I was in sewing heaven. If you click www.sewingexpo.com you should get the web site.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ro View Post
Just wanted to know opinions about the show in Lancaster this year. I myself thought it was pretty discouraging. Didn't see any new patterns, no new techniques. Some of the older vendors were not there. Noticed that the 2nd & 3rd floors both had quilts for show. If I remember, I thought it was only on the 3d floor last year. Didnt have any problems spending money in the shops around town though. There were plenty of "good deals." What's your opinion?
I'm not clear if you mean vendors area or quilt area...? sounds like the vendors?
The last quilt show I went to last fall left me dreadfully underwhelmed for several reasons, but going out the door I realized what I'd enjoyed was the creativity that went into the award ribbons. And that isn't worth the drive anywhere at today's fuel prices.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Power Poster

I have never been to that show but what I have found is that many of the shows that I have been to have increased the price for vendors making it almost impossible to end up in the plus column. I went to a major show a few years ago and was talking to a vendor who made quilting jewelry and they told me that the price for a booth had gone up so much that they were not going to be there next year. Seems that sometimes $$$'s get in the way of a lot of projects. IMHO
Old 03-18-2013, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by bigredharley View Post
HAd a marvelous time, but didn't have much to compare it to. I bought lots of nice fabrics for projects (we won't discuss what I spent LOL) which is especially nice since I don't live near any nice shops - it's always a day trip to go to one. My biggest goal was to determine whether LA was for me, and found out I want it BAD. Now to figure where I can put one and which one....

Def going to the Hershey and Baltimore shows and hope they have the same amount of shopping!
love the Hershey show and the vendors are lots and great
Old 03-18-2013, 03:56 AM

Does anyone know when the Hershey show is?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:07 AM

Off the top of my head, I think the Hershey show is usually near the end of July.

This was my first time at the Lancaster show. I thought it was okay. They had a lot of vendors. I'll probably go again next year simply for the sales and the energy out in the quilt shops nearby. I stood in lines with so many lovely ladies and struck up conversations with strangers who felt like friends by the time I paid for my items. Quilters in a fabric store are a happy bunch!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 AM

I really liked the quilts that were there. Since they are all waaaaay past my skill level, I was duly impressed. I had not been to any shows other than local ones put on by local guilds so this was a big day for me. I loved having all those vendors! Modern fabrics are hard come by around me so I had a blast picking up FQs. Here is some of my "haul". Oh, and I got one of those BlocLoc rulers for HST - very excited about that. I love HST except when it comes time to square them up.
Attached Thumbnails p1010004.jpg   p1010003.jpg  
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 AM

I've thought - and this goes for most shows - that the quilts are getting MUCH MORE artsy. Excellent quilters and designs to be sure, but I used to leave quilt shows seeing lots of quilts I would like to make, because I USE them. The quilts displayed the days are so elaborately quilted, they are like cardboard! And certainly not something I would use on the beds and risk the cats and dogs jumping on! I understand all the fancy quilting for a wallhanging, but I miss the "useable, cuddly bed quilt category". And it seems I see the same vendors at all the shows, and even when there are different ones, the product selection is very similar. But I love it anyway and wouldn't miss it!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:03 AM
dd

We went Sat., didn't appreciate the snow. We only went to the Host and Continental. Didn't get to the "real" show. Everyone was saying how disappointed they were. Host had some signature quilts and art quilts. Continental only had vendors. Got a pattern and some 30's fat quarters. Hope we get to go to Hershey in July 25-28.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:59 AM

This was my first time to attend. Had no idea that there were 3 shows to visit. Went to the Host first. Then the Continental via shuttle (the traffic was awful) . Finally headed downtown and had no signage to tell a stranger where to go for parking. Asked a mounted police officer for directions and he was very nice and helped us. We spent the next day going to quilt shops and the roads are made by going around every farm. NOTHING straight about them. got lost and turned around numerous times but the people are very friendly and helpful,

Bought a beautiful clock that chimes, my souviner for my trip! Got LOTS of fabric at the local shops but not at the shows as it was much more expensive.

I like going to the Des Moines show where everything is in one place and it is much easier to find your way around. Enjoyed the many quilts and vendors. I bought a pattern that will be just stunning when I get it made. It is so new that I had to order it.
Attached Thumbnails gypsy-026.jpg  

Last edited by peppermint31; 03-18-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: spelling and post picture