Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with a really ugly vintage quilt top?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisethreads
    This one is a real doozy. It was made in the 50's/60's. My MIL gave it to me to finish, but it is awful. It's scrappy, I call it crappy, with pastels, dark plaids, cartoon fabric, some polyester even. Should I hide it away somewhere or try to salvage it? I should mention, it is in perfect condition despite it's ugliness!
    My sister brought two quilt tops to me like you have described. Her deceased MIL made them and she asked me to quilt them. I was not excited about it because I thought they were very unattractive but did it for her. When I got through with them, I was surprised at how good they looked after being quilted. Made a big difference.

Blog Entries
    Quilt them. They will look really good.

Blog Entries
    Oh I love my mother in law dearly and the more the quilt sits on the bed the more I'm diggin' it! It's got attitude:))
    It does kinda' grow on you, doesn't it?

Uh....u could almost hear the pin drop after pic popped up! It doesn't look bad , it just unusual. Lots of interested colors and the border added made it prettier. I think after it's quilted , will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    Actually, I've seen worse :shock:
    I was certainly expecting worse.

I love it! That is my kind of quilt....scrappy! I think it would make a wonderful quilt to take a nap under or to cover a sleepy child, etc. It's the kind of quilt that is meant to be used rather than showcased.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I like it. Strip-pieced blocks have a certain charm. Not too crazy about the turquoise to be honest, but it could be the color of my monitor that threws the color off. Hope you finish it.

Power Poster
    I like it the way it is. When you are cold or sick you will thank your mil for sure.

I have one worse than that, made my dh's great grandmother, its kinda in rags now, it was made with old clothes. I think its kinda interesting to see all the different styles of clothing and such from way back when.

Blog Entries
    I'm the other way about it.
    I love it.
    If you dispose of it, send to me.

I really like it. reminds me of what my Grandmother would do. I lost mine from her during my divorce and I sure do wish I still had it. It was all polyester.

I like it as it is! The first quilts I can remember were made by great or great-great aunts and are in the possession of my grandmothers. During winter months, these were piled upon us children when we slept over at my Gran's. (They made good forts any time of year.)My first exposure to quilts was not to pretty ones! They are still my favorites when I go for a visit. Now I enjoy examining the fabrics and wondering what they came from. I also believe them to be indestructable, as they are unchanged from my earliest memories about thirty years ago!

Blog Entries
    Sometimes those quilts become family favorites. It's the quilt no one's afraid to use, so it makes for lots of memories.

np3
    Blog Entries
    I think you will be surprised at how good it looks when it is quilted. It is actually quite nice.

I like it too....I collect old dbl knit polyester quilt tops that are a wild mix of colors, some are hand quilted. They are very warm. They aren't everyones taste but the trend now is to match or use nice new prints. I hope you keep it and use an old fashioned color for the border...the turqoise too obviously new! (Just my opinion.) I will someday take pics of my polys for you all to see.

here we go with a few pics. I added the turquoise border just to see how it looked...it helps a little.
    Due to the design, the craziness fits it perfectly. Put it in the guest room for when she visits. I've got a couple much like that in my future---------when my 93 year old MIL passes out her "treasures". I almost died trying to keep in some giggles when I saw one. All 40's and 50's fabrics except for one corner that was 70's big bright prints.

Blog Entries
    i like it too ,so scrappy and well kept i would proudly put it on my bed

it doesn't look as bad as you described it. It's kind of quaint. I would just quilt it, use it for a beach blanket or picnic blanket.

I don't think it's ugly....it just needs to be loved so it can bloom into the beauty it was meant to be! You have your work cut out for you! :D :D

It's actually not "that" bad. I would quilt it and use it to snuggle under while watching tv.

I don't think it's bad at all---and it's family treasure! I'd finish it and use it as a throw or a TV-snuggle quilt. Thanks for sharing the photos....I'd expected MUCH worse! (Like the Log Cabin quilt my grandmother made with red/white pindots and pink/white mini-stripes...all sewed with DARK GREEN THREAD THAT SHOWS!!!!!)

Banned
    ugly quilts are just as warm as beautiful heirlooms on a cold night. I have one on an extra bed and love looking at the fabrics and combinations. Such quilts seem to connect us with past generations. I grew up sleeping under such quilts. For me the thing that destroyes the beauty is pantograph machine quilting. They should be quilted in the style popular when made.

Blog Entries
    Just think about the stitchin that went into it...and the possibility that they used what they had.
    We love our pretty quilts but think about where quilting began and why...you have to appreciate it for the time effort and love put into it.
    Don't ya?
    Add some fun appliqués to each square or every other and see if ya like it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by kit'smamma
    How is your relationship with the DMIL? If it is as bad as my relationship with mine just throw it in the trunk of the car. They sure are handy when you are having a skid problem. If you like her go ahead and quilt it for the sake of the relationship. Just do diagonal lines across it to hold it together and chalk it up to your good deed for the month.
    I too had the MIL from hell no way would I put a D infront of MIL,
    but none the less I quite like the affect, I think if it was mine I would have sewn the squares together differently to make 4 look like a square,
    but you must admit it is colourful

Blog Entries
    I like it...it is definitely a scrappy original. I think I would do croos-hatch, using beige or gray thread to give it some demension and then bind it in either black or navy blue.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast