Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do y'all use to hold your machine? >

What do y'all use to hold your machine?

What do y'all use to hold your machine?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 PM

I use a garden kneeling pad under my machines no matter what table I have them on while sewing. It cuts down on vibrations and noise. Although mine did not vibrate much I used it more for noise reduction. Any table I do use is very sturdy. I have too much invested in machines to not take extra precaution. I hope this helps.
DeeDee
Old 01-14-2010, 09:59 PM

My husband bought me one of those sewing tables with the extra length top and shelf,etc from JoAnn's a couple years ago and I put my embroidery machine on it. I have my other machine set up on a computer type desk. They both have served the purpose except when I'm sewing full throttle and then I think we're all bouncing.:) I have a question about those Plexiglas like tables that they advertise in some of the quilt magazines. I'm not sure how it works, but I was wondering if anyone else knows what I'm talking about and if she(or he) think it would help with the free motion quilting. :) Bethy
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 PM

I have a large dining room table, I put a large piece of carpet of carpeting that was left over from when we had some carpet laid, that covers the whole top of the table. I have an elegante and a quattro on the table, going at the same time with no vibration. It is great because you can stick pins in it if you are in a hurry and dont have a pin cushion at hand. You can vaccum it. It also helps cut down on noise.

I also put HEAVY rubber shelf lining under all my machines to cut down on noise and vibration.

Margie
Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 PM

I use a folding table also, but I use a placemat made of the shelf lining material under my machine. I also move my maching to the short end of the table above the legs. There is much less vibration while the machine is enbroidering there. Give that a try, it's a quick fix.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:27 AM

I purchased 2 file cabinets then placed a 6ft counter top from Lowes over the top. I have 2 drawers on each side to put patterns & sewing stuff. I have the same B/L machine. I keep the embroidery part in the bottom drawer so it won't get damaged, along with all the tools for it. My surger sits on the side, I can slide over either machine I need & still have room to hoop,cut,etc. I can move these if I need the room in the future.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by monogramlady
I purchased 2 file cabinets then placed a 6ft counter top from Lowes over the top. I have 2 drawers on each side to put patterns & sewing stuff. I have the same B/L machine. I keep the embroidery part in the bottom drawer so it won't get damaged, along with all the tools for it. My surger sits on the side, I can slide over either machine I need & still have room to hoop,cut,etc. I can move these if I need the room in the future.
Great suggestion, hum.... can I make room for this?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM

I have mine on a cheap Wal-Mart folding table but I had my son cut me a piece of plywood the same size of it to put on top and that helped a lot.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by tuesy
My problem is that my machine is also an embroidery machine. It's a B/L Ellagante and when it gets to stitching with the machine unit on, it can really move things.

I have it presently on a 5 foot folding table that locks, but it's not sturdy enough.. well I mean it holds it alright, but it will get to moving/shaking when it's stitching.

I also have my 301 on that table, so when I'm not using my Ellegante I can use it there. I have about 6 feet to work with here.
I have an old wooden conference table that a local bank was getting rid of. It's a bit scratched on the top, but when you put cutting mats over it - it works fine. Very sturdy. You could check out yard sales for a table and put inexpensive laminate on top if you had to.
I've looked at the thrift store for a old desk, table or sewing machine cabinet, but nothing there and we only have one thrift store.

Does anyone have any ideas? I desperately need help as I don't want it to fall or shake off (yes it get to shaking and scares the bejeepers out of me).

Thank you for any ideas...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Lyn

Having an embroidering machine myself, the only thing I can say is, you need a much sturdier table or get a heavy duty desk or a sewing table. The big thing is you don't want to leave it while embroidering and either have it walk off the table or have the table collapse. Too expensive a machine.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Hi Tuesy,

I bought a solid wood desk (very heavy) for $30 at a Habitat For Humanity ReStore. I actually bought two, one for my granddaughter and one for me. I just love them.
My SE350 doesn't move around at all, and I use that rubber shelf liner under my serger. (geeze...I think I use it under everything in my craft house.)
I used to sew on a recycled kitchen counter top (it's a computer desk now) and my machines would walk all over the place. I think the long length of it (No leg in the middle) made the machines jump around.
Needless to say... the two solid wood desks are so heavy I have no problem.
You can see them at my blog under "my dream craft house." You can see the skirts I attached with hook-n-loop around the desks to dress them up a little.

Have a great day!
Debbie
www.bzstampr.blogspot.com