Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with 30's repro fabric?

I was wondering if there are easy-to find "authentic" patterns for the 30's fabrics? What do you do with these fabrics?

Most of the 'traditional' quilt blocks/patterns would be appropriate.
    The ones I specifically remember that we had when I was growing up (made before my parents got married in 1938) were a double wedding ring, one with pink & blue four patch blocks (don't remember what else was on it...maybe plain bigger squares?) & a green and yellow stars one, plus the crayon and embroidered state flower blocks that I helped finish as a home ec project.

I think pinwheels and bowties.

I don't buy them

I just finished putting the "plate" together for the dresden plate quilt block with scrappy 30's fabric. If you check out the tutorial from the Missouri Star quilt co, you might get enthused too!

This book is a wonderful pattern book for 1930's repros: http://www.amazon.com/Egg-Money-Quil.../dp/1891776193 Full-size, cardboard templates are included as well as large, applique patterns, etc. It's a great book.

There are lots of patterns out there using repro prints. I really love all the designs taken from old feed sacks. There seems to be no end to their popularity. Most quilters love them.

I have lots of the 30's reproductions and a good collection of true vintage fabrics, too.

I really like the book called Fabulous Feedsacks. It is chocked full of perfect patterns for the vintage and reproduction prints.

If you go to Amazon and search for Feedsacks, several books will pop up. They all look interesting to me, I just can't personally vouch for any but the Fabulous Feedsacks.

Also, try searching for free vintage quilt patterns online. You might find just what you like!

i like to use patterns that really let the print show such as pinwheels, or bowtie or Dresdan plates, orange peel, drunkards path, etc. For some reason I think those fabrics look good in circular type patterns. Like the one on the cover!

Good luck! Be sure to come back and let us know what you decide on. Of course I am assuming you are asking the question because you want to do one??
    Quote Originally Posted by Naturalmama
    I was wondering if there are easy-to find "authentic" patterns for the 30's fabrics? What do you do with these fabrics?
    Attached Images Attached Images

lol! I've been collecting fabric for many different quilts-to-be, but I just picked up some more 30's fabric today and was thinking about how I'd only want to use a pattern that was from that time period - so I can start thinking about it and put it in the bin with the fabric I'm slowly collecting (it was in the discount room, so I had to get it! ;))

Thanks for the ideas - I will check them out!

I just added the feedsack book to my Amazon wish list so I can keep track of it! :) And the Egg-money book...

I just received my grandmothers rocking chair - it had been given to her by her mother. I have lots of memories rocking in it on her front porch with my cousins. My dad says he remember rocking in it when he was little - and he remembers his dad rocking in it. That really means something to me as he died when my dad was 18 so I never met him - and we named my son after him. I wanted to make an appropriate quilt to drape over it - so I figured the 30's repro would be best. :)

I have a number of the 1930's patterns that appeared in Newspapers back then - Nancy Page, Ruby McKim, etc. PM me if you what I have as I have some that I'm selling.

Her's what I did with mine. 'Had the fabrics for years. 'Hope you enjoy it.
    Karen

lol! I've been collecting fabric for many different quilts-to-be, but I just picked up some more 30's fabric today and was thinking about how I'd only want to use a pattern that was from that time period - so I can start thinking about it and put it in the bin with the fabric I'm slowly collecting (it was in the discount room, so I had to get it! ;))

Thanks for the ideas - I will check them out!

I just added the feedsack book to my Amazon wish list so I can keep track of it! :) And the Egg-money book...

I just received my grandmothers rocking chair - it had been given to her by her mother. I have lots of memories rocking in it on her front porch with my cousins. My dad says he remember rocking in it when he was little - and he remembers his dad rocking in it. That really means something to me as he died when my dad was 18 so I never met him - and we named my son after him. I wanted to make an appropriate quilt to drape over it - so I figured the 30's repro would be best. :)
    I don't have a suggestion, but I wanted to say that I loved reading your story. I too remember my Grandmother's rocking chair. It is the only thing my mother has of my grandmother and mom has already told me I could have it whenever I wanted it since she doesn't really have room for it! My mother also has a rocking chair that I will fight tooth and nail to get. My father gave it to her when she was pregnant with me.

I just love rocking chairs.

Blog Entries
    All the ones I can think of have been listed :lol:

Shequilts that quilt is beautiful :lol:

The greens in that quilt look like the green in my avatar. The quilt top was pieced by a lady who died in 1947. I'm not sure when she actually made it, but it probably contains fabric from the '30's. I quilted it for her great granddaughter who is 68. I love the quilt you made, shequilts.

The butterfly and sunbonnet sues are vintage fabrics. Also the children's animal quilts.
    There are tons of floral patterned quilts one of elenore burns recent books comes to mind, "The majic vine quilt".

There are dresden plates, of all shapes. But, my favorite is the carnival or wheel of fortune blocks done with the vintage.

Here's an easy pinwheel on my frame.

I am excited to hear the replies. I have two charm packs of 1930's fabrics that I want to make into a lap quilt for my MIL. It needs to be simple and quick to make as she is not well and I'm kind of slow so I want to get it done before she is gone :(

I love the patterns that use a white or white on white for the sashing and backgrounds.

I was at a LQS today and saw a pattern called "Cherry Tweet". It is fantastic and I would love to make it but way too complicated and the pattern was $15!!! Maybe next payday :wink:

I love the small 9 patch with the plain white muslim squares. Most of the 30's fabric to the best of my fleeting knowledge is a white base. So when you make up you patch block or what block you with the fabric, it always look very crisp using the same white fabric.

I love the 30's fabrics so much!!!!!!! I usually do easy scrappy quilts with them, like a simple 9 patch, those alternating with white. Thats how I made my last charity quilt, and it turned out cute just because of the fabric!!!

I love 30's fabrics too and have a couple of Darlene Zimmerman's books,both of which have 30's quilt patterns. Some of the quilts in her books are actual 30's quilts that she reworked because they were not finished or damaged. The titles are Granny Quilts, and Granny Quilt Decor.

I love asking questions here - you always give me so much to think about! :)

Oh my! That is absolutely beautiful.

Great job!!

Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    Karen

Sunbonnet Sue and Sam Too

Quote Originally Posted by shequilts
    Karen
    Awesome feather star medallion quilt!

I have an applique pattern of a balloon bouquet that I plan to do some day in 30's fabrics.

Now that sounds intriguing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Patsy's "Mom"
    I have an applique pattern of a balloon bouquet that I plan to do some day in 30's fabrics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast