Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you do with all the quilts you make? >

what do you do with all the quilts you make?

what do you do with all the quilts you make?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:58 AM

Most of what i make goes to my family-my kids and their spouses.I'm also saving some to give to grandkids as they arrive. I do give some baby quilts as gifts. Can't really explain how I decide who gets one as a gift, but sometimes I really feel drawn to give a certain person one.
I also make a couple simple quilts to donate to a charity auction every year,along with other handmade items.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM

I've made about 100 quilts and I have about half of them. I am running out of places to put them and have been thinking about giving some to some family members that don't have any. My cousins (7) of them are so good to my Mom (in TX). They visit her, take her out to lunch... I'm thinking of giving some of my quilts away for Christmas to them. Thanks for asking, this started me thinking.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 AM

90% of the quilts I make are given to a nonprofit that gives them to widows or injured fire/police/millitary. The other 10% to family.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:55 AM

I usually make my quilts for family and friends. I have done a few I spy kiddy quilts which a "friend" asked me to do but I realise now I seriously undercharged for them! I am now doing quilts for injured UK Soldiers. I don.t like doing commissions as I can.t work under pressure or in colours I.m not happy with. I just enjoy making quilts and so far all are enjoyed by those that have received them.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Mostly, I make quilts for me. However, I am in the process of planning one for a young girl who lives next door. This one is an exception. I have made several quilts for others, including my grandchildren, my nieces and nephews, and my daughter. She has given one to my son because I won't give him any as he has cats. No more for my daughter or granddaughters though. At least until they graduate from high school.

The quilts I make for myself I just like to see hanging on my banister - which I change out every so often. I enjoy looking at them and remembering how much I enjoyed making them. It's a creative hobby just for me.

I make any number of quilts for the hospital in which my daughter works as a nurse in NICU.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

I give away the majority of the quilts I make, to friends and family, and only recently a couple for charity. I like to do scrap quilts, though, and have only once bought the entire amount of everything for a quilt at one time. That was for my grandmother, and I estimate that it cost around $50 for everything, maybe less. It was a large lap size. Most of the fabric came from Joanne fabric.

Usually I only buy one or two fabrics just for a particular quilt, and the rest is scraps I already have, some of which are from other quilting projects, some from clothing projects, and some that others have given me. So it's hard to estimate cost. I'd say I've got around $100 in batting, backing, and sashing for the queen size I'm working on, more in the fabrics used for the blocks, but they're scrappy, and I have no idea how to estimate that.

I know I've made at least two quilts that were entirely from scraps or yardage that was given to me (and even batting) and the biggest expense was the fabric for binding.

Now that I quilt, I try not to make clothes out of fabrics that I wouldn't want to quilt with :)

I also tend to buy most things on sale or from remnant tables, thrift stores, etc, so that keeps my fabric cost down.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM

so far most of mine are for family and friends. i did make one for our volunteer fire dept to raise money. on the fabric it depends on if it is for a child or adult.if it is for adult and i know it will be taken care of i have spent $9/yrd for but for a child i try to stay in the $4/yrd area
Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 PM

I have, so far, given mine away to friends. Then again, I've only completed two. Problem is I start planning or even start getting fabric and then life gets in the way and I end up forgetting about it.

I'm doing a t-shirt quilt right now and just the costs of t-shirts are going to be about $300. Just bought two today and it was like $44. Besides each shirt being at least $14 (and there's 14 shirts total I think), part of the costs have to do with the shipping adding up from getting shirts from different buyers. The other part comes from buying half of the shirts from one site and the shipping costs being so high from a large order. I can't tell you what the costs for the fabric for the sashing/borders/binding, thread, and batting because I can't determine the size until after I get the shirts. But I imagine since the quilt has to be quite large to accomodate the over 6 foot tall person who is going to recieve it...eh, I cringe at the hypothetical costs of the other stuff.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 PM

I've only made a few quilts - around 20-25. They've gone to family members, an elderly neighbor, and about four to children in Nicaragua. I have none here in my home that I've made. Although I do have a few quilt tops without backs (destined for the Nicaraguan children); one for my granddaughter that I am almost finished quilting; and, one I made for my father-in-law that I inherited when my mom-in-law passed away. (and of course, the ones that I'm currently working on.)

I've never made a bed-sized quilt. Although I have made duvets and pillow shams. My quilts are all lap-size, in varying sizes. They've gotten bigger as I've quilted longer.

And the cost? Kind of like everyone else has said, I am a fabric gatherer. When I first started quilting, I used to buy lots of fat quarters. Now I don't buy anything smaller than 1/2-yard, although I do love those little guys. I do buy sets of pre-cut strips, and occasionally charms.

I have loads of fat quarters and I'm so happy I do because I'm always running to them to make little things, or to fussy cut to personalize a quilt.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

my lap quilts are always about 60"x72"-80" (the guys in my world are all well over 6feet tall, so i make them long.
i pretty much give them away...to friends, family, charities. i may sell 2-6 a year. depends. as far as charity quilts,,,i do not skimp on quality fabrics because it is going to a charity, if anything i make sure there is no 'less than quilt shop quality' fabrics in a quilt i am sending away. if i am going to use any sub-standard fabrics they are going into the kids game/car quilts that get used to death and replaced. i would think it probably costs about an average of $125-$150 to make a lap quilt. i don't usually...most of my quilts are queens, an occassional king...for the kids, large twins...leaning toward fulls. if i receive (and accept) a special order for a quilt i talk to the person about what they have in mind and budget. i try very hard to stay within budget, if i dont think it's possible i let the person know it is not possible...and the bear-minimum i can do it for...like dog-gone game quilts...i love making them the kids love them...no matter what i do it costs me $125 to make one...not including any time. anyhow.....
my family gets most of my quilts...and some of them have very expensive quilts.