Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what do you do with all the quilts you make?

I make mostly for Linus - made 100 for them last year and am well on the way this year - have donated 84 so far. I have no idea what it costs me for each quilt. I rarely buy $10 yd fabric My favorite are scrappy quilts. I love making quilts for Linus - I get to try all kinds of patterns and all kinds of color schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    So far all the quilts I've done have been for family and friends. Once I get those all done, I will likely do some for others, but at the rate I'm going, that may be awhile.

It's really hard for me to tell how much any given quilt has cost because I tend to buy fabric as I see it in whatever quantity strikes my fancy (or my budget) that day. Most likely I'll use that fabric in several different quilts, for swaps, etc. so it's not like I've gone to the store with pattern in hand to buy exactly what I need for a particular quilt.
    I'm the same.

Mostly I do gifts for family and friends, but I have done a few for charity, too. I use the same good quality materials for both. As far as cost, a queen costs between $400 and $500.

My quilts are usually given away as gifts. Just gave one to DIL who was headed to Houston for Cancer surgery. Told her that when she wraps up in the quilt, think of it as me wrapping my arms around her and giving her a great big hug. I do donate one quilt a rear for a raffle for our Relay for Life team. Have made over $1,000. the past two years. You'd be surprised at how many people want homemade quilts.

I'm just starting out so I am about 50/50 keep vs. give away. I do have a hard time parting with them b/c I usually do something I know they will like, but I also have to like it, too! ha ha! I mostly do scrap quilts so I don't know how much each costs - a LOT of my fabric has come from the remnant bin. The one I am making for my dad will be close to a twin size and all the fabric was purchased for it - maybe $100 start to finish?? Thankfully our LQS sells their fabric for around $5/yd. I didn't realize how good I had it until I went to a couple other places! Whew! They do it as a hobby, not to make a fortune or anything. I do know they shop around to be able to offer us those prices...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday
    Do you always give away, if so to whom and do any of you make for charity and if so are you more careful with the price of materials.

I would also be very interested what you estimate a decent size lap quilt costs you to make [ not including time ]
    So far I have only made lap quilts and I give them to the local Nursing Homes for their patients. I am also making a regular size quilt, my first one of that size, for my niece who is a missionary in Africa. I have no idea how much these quilts cost because I use scraps, sheets and men's shirts purchased from thrift stores or yard sales. I plan on making some baby quilts for the local women's shelters or the hospitals.

I don't think too much about cost, although I always buy fabric on sale, or with a coupon. I look at it as my hobby. How much $ does my DH spend on golf? I don't add it up or ask and he doesn't ask me about what I've spent on material. It works for us.

I have yet to keep a quilt for myself. I either gift or sell. I buy mostly all materials on sale, yard sale, etc. The one quilt I did as an order from a lady, I spent over $125 on materials and that was on sale fabrics. Yep, quilting is not a cheap endeavor but the joy of sewing, can't get that in a pill.

I give most of my quilts away--of course I have lots to give too. 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and a great grandchild

Have any of you started covering furniture or making pillows ? I have a large bluejeans quilt that will cover the back and arms of a rocker.The seat will get regular denim

I also make for friends and family. For the ones I just can't part with, I put on the label who gets it when I die. My youngest grandson always points to the one on the livingroom wall and tells everyone that it really belongs to him.

Do you always give away, if so to whom and do any of you make for charity and if so are you more careful with the price of materials.

I would also be very interested what you estimate a decent size lap quilt costs you to make [ not including time ]
    I make a lot for gifts. My family fights over who gets the next one! Everyone I know that has a baby gets a quilt, etc. Then, I do make some for charity, (Project Linus usually) and our quilting group at church presents a quilt to each baby that is baptized. I make some to sell and I even occasionally make a few for my own home.
    The economy being what it is, I don't buy too much fabric lately, but I have had tons of it given to me by various friends and family, so I am currently working on my stash. And there is enough there to keep me busy for a long long time!

I make quilts for friends that are sick, or having a baby..I started out with making them for my grankids first...Then giving one to friends that were becoming first time grandparents...Now am making them for my grankids for when they are older, they can choose one for college...I make just tops for my ladies to tie at church to give away at Christmas time. I do a lot scrap quilts so they end up pretty much free as I do strip piecing for a lot of family quilts and scraps are left over

FREE Fabrics: FreeCycle and Craigslist

Cheap sources for Fabrics: Garage Sales, Thrift Shops

In NJ, there are many affluent people and many poor. We have many opportunities to get free fabric, then donate quilts to those in need.

I have made Project Linus quilts, quilts for our Wounded Warriors and quilts for friends who "need a hug"- one with cancer, one who lost her husband. These ladies told me they wrap themselves in the quilt when they need comforting.

That's something money can't buy!

I'm just beginning to accumulate. I've been sticking with table runners and toppers, making one for myself and for my daughter. I am now getting more into lap quilts and larger and I don't know what to so with them. I'm not good enough to give them as gifts but I can't stop making them. I am now looking for a quilt rack to keep and display my work, but I mostly just do it for me. My daughter says I'm addicted, I think she is right

I found several tubs with baby flannel in my storage room, so I am going to make baby rag quilts and donate them to S.A.F.E. and use up as much as I can. Other quilts I make are for family and extended family. No one quilts so I get requests. I have offered to teach them to quilt, but so far no takers.

Blog Entries
    There is not one quilt in my house made by me. As soon as I get them done I give 'em away! Making them right now for the grandkids (have 14 and am on #7), then the husband wants one, then it'll be for the great grandkids (3). Think the kids will want one? Guess I could make each of them one, too...thats another 5! Don't think I'll get any charity quilts done. Have not made anything smaller than a twin size.

Like most of the other quilters most of my quilts go to family and friends. I also make quilts and/or tops for veterans, Heartstrings, and for my guild's giving closet. Each of my children and grandchildren have a quilt I've made for them and as the grandchildren have graduated high school they get one for college. Over the past few years I've been making quite a few quilts as baby shower gifts for the children of my neices and nephews. One granddaughter married last month so I maybe making a quilt for a great grandchild in the future. DH has a quilt I made for him but so far I haven't made one for myself. May in Jersey

i think a good way to estimate any size quilt is to add up the number of yards required from your pattern/book..say a total of 6 yds...then decide what you paid for your fabric..cheap like garage sales..or maybe joanns or real expensive like lqs...so lets say inbetween like joanns at $6.00 a yard...so times 6 x 6yds..so now you are at 36.00..then add cost of your thread,batting and backing..so lets say 3.00 for thread,15.00 for batting and 4 more yards for backing at 6.00..so 36.00 plus above prices..approximately 78.00 for materials..now there is your time which includes quilting and binding..so there you are and of course the larger the quilt..the bigger the cost..

Blog Entries
    I know the cost of me NOT making quilts - my sanity!!
    I make them mostly for myself and family. Considering there are 5 siblings, all of who have children and some of them are having children, I have a long time before I catch up!

I'm using up my stash making children's quilts for a local women's resource center. I make them 45" x 36" so it takes a yard of backing and a yard of batting. I figure the cost to be under $20.00 each, and I make a couple a month. The last time I went in the person at the front desk said, "Oh, great, it's the quilt lady!" That made me feel so good because I know I'm helping someone out.

Most of my full sized quilts, with careful buying, cost about $350 to make. That estimate includes the thread to quilt. Lap quilts are generally $150 - $180, and I have made the odd King - size every now and then, which blow out to $500 - $600, depending on how elaborate they have been. Of course, these are only the material costs. The man - hours are another issue.

I give all my quilts away. To family, friends, and charities. I no longer shop at JoAnn's, but do have quite a bit of their fabric that I am still using for charity quilts. I buy quite a bit from Fabric Depot in their 50% off clearance area. but I try to be careful of the price of the materials, no matter who it is, just want to use good enough fabrics that the quilt will hold up. I made a nice quilt for my son one time and used JoAnn's cheap polyester batting. Wel, never saw anything like it.... the batting dissolved after a few washings. Also don't want to make a mistake I made with a small quilt I made for my step-mother. She washed it and the back shrank terribly so it was all puckery

I'm new but love this site.
    I joined binkypatrol.org. I donated my quilt to get free disney tickets, all I had to do was make a tied flannel blanket. I met the most wonderful ladies, approximately 10 at my region. We meet once a month and each one of us donate a project. These quilts can be simple or works of art but they go to shelters, abused woman shelters, hospitals, those receiving chemo and they get cold and at different sites where we find the need. I found that even though my adult children say, "mom no more blankets we have enough. This group of ladies welcome all and the best part our mistakes, flaws only add to the quilt, we share ideas and it just feels good to give back.

Most of the quilts I make are either lap size or for children. I give them as gifts to children I know and the rest are usually donation quilts. I have made about 40 quilts so far this year for donation. I mostly buy the fabric for charity quilts when Joann's has their "red dot" fabric at half price...which means about $2/yard. So with batting (also at 1/2 price), that is about $15-20 per quilt. I rarely make for adult gifts as I don't know what people's tastes are and really don't want to give to someone who has no interest in quilts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast