Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do to get yourself back in the mood to quilt? >

What do you do to get yourself back in the mood to quilt?

What do you do to get yourself back in the mood to quilt?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:16 AM

I went through about a two month period where I had no desire to look at my machine, much less sew, or do anything creative....I was stuck in a rut...So I started looking a new techniques that were interesting and I haven't looked back....One was hot ribbon art applique (which I LOVE) and that spurred an interest in card making.....and the rest is history.....the creative juices are back flowing..... I've got three quilts going and I just went to work one day a week for our local quilt shop as well...I'm a happy camper...:)
Old 02-13-2011, 03:17 AM

PS.....Love your Aussie.....I've had a couple over the years...Great dogs!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 AM

Sometimes I'll just sit down and start looking through my quilt books and magazines to find inspiration. Also if I attend a guild meeting or a class, that seems to put me in a sewing mood. And sometimes I just like to play with my stash, kind of like a kid with a toy chest LOL
Old 02-13-2011, 04:18 AM

I usually do something quick, simple and fun. That gets me back into my groove most of the time. I feel you - I'm lacking motivation on a current project. I don't think I've been in my "dungeon" (sewing space in the basement) for at least a week...maybe two! Today I'm going to get down there and do a quicky Valentine's day project for my daughter's teacher, hopefully that will be my motivational moment.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:37 AM

Go on the board & look around!! That usually does it.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 AM

I often go on the tutorial section of this board and find something I want to try and that gets me geared back up. I found some nice blocks that I tried and then made the backing of a quilt I need to finish. Now the quilt is ready to be quilted. The sun is out and snow is melting Yeah!!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:46 AM

just start paging through you quilt books and mags, you will get the itch really fast!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:52 AM

I go with the flow rather than force it. I've always had two or three or six different types of projects going on at the same time. One might be a quilt, another something knitted and maybe even a woodworking project around the house. Sometime one takes over for quite a while, but for me that's okay because these are things I do for pleasure.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 AM

I too suffer with quilters block. I looked at my underground railroad blocks and the story behing them and thought if the slaves can have some go int them then so can I. So taday is the beginning of the new me. Working 4 days a week does sometimes hamper my plans, but I always will have the weekends. I also go on quilting retreats twice yearly to Scarborouhg and that seems to get me going again.

There is always hope
Old 02-13-2011, 05:09 AM

I experience that lull in quilting often - could be the weather or just life in general. When it happens I clean something - the house or the sewing area. After a while I realize that I'm tired of cleaning and need a break and I'm in the mood to sew again.

AND

I can sew with a clean house and better yet a clean sewing area! No guilt involved! Double benefits!