Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

Blog Entries

What do you do with hideous ugly polyester fabric from 1970s???

I think I've seen quilts made out of that stuff but I just don't think I would like it. There are about 18 yards of it. Any ideas?

Name:  hideous polyester fabric 001.JPG
Views: 4633
Size:  131.3 KB
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Power Poster
    I don't see it as hideous and/or ugly -

If you don't care for it, sell it or give it away.

I'd use them all in quilts except the wide blue/green/yellow stripe!! Love the pink one.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

LOL, I made my first quilt from left over's form Mom's and her girlfriends pants suits! My Grandmother hand quilted it with a poly cotton backing. I still have it and its in rough shape, all except the knit fabrics. Don't know what your going to do with that but I keep watching this thread. My girlfriend cleaned out her Mom's stuff and I got gifted with several peieces of doubleknit.

They can be used as batting if the color does not show through( a concern for lights in the top) . Used as batting they make a warm quilt .. and for those who do not want to do alot of quilting you can stitch far apart.

Blog Entries
    It's bullet proof fabric! I have two quilts made with this stuff, no batting just two sided double knit nine patches and tied. It's heavy and will last forever. Great yard quilts.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    well i was gonna say gift it to someone else or drop it in the bin at goodwill. perhaps you may come up with some other use.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

I know what I'm doing with the 3 boxes of this poly stuff from the 70's that I've got - it's going to Goodwill!! I'm all for a stash, but not this stuff.

Give it to Goodwill and take the tax deduction.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Give it to Goodwill and take the tax deduction.
    That's what I've recommended to her on another thread.

I received a quilt top that my grandmother made out of polyester and I backed it with a birthed it with a sheet and hand tied with yarn and it's on our bed everything the power goes out in the winter. Warmest blanket we own. Don't give it away, make yourself a "utility" quilt out of it. You may need it some day!

Blog Entries
    Cut it into strips and braid it into a rug for your sewing area. My Mom made a few of them back in the day. The polys are indestructible and wash well. Sorry its not a quilty answer, but that's what I'd do.

Asheville, Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    Make an ugly quilt for the ugly quilt project. They don't care what you use as long as it is warm. Here is the website.

http://www.uglyquilts.org/
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karen924 View Post
    ...... The polys are indestructible and wash well. Sorry its not a quilty answer, but that's what I'd do.
    can you believe we wore this stuff way back when.... indestructible fabric. the only thing that could destroy poly fabric was fire and you knew not to get too close to flames.
    My Quiltboard Blog
    ~Joy is what happens when we allow ourselves to recognize how good things really are..(Marianne Williamson)
    ~If you can't change your fate, change your attitude.(Amy Tan)
    ~As long as one keeps searching, the answers come.(Joan Baez)

Blog Entries
    Make single quilts or lap robes and give them to Nursing Homes. You tie them instead of quilting. They are really warm and they wash and wear great. We make them all the time. Have about 6 different Nursing Homes in our area and they love them. The residents grab them as soon as they go in.

Blog Entries
    Nursing home lap robes. They love them tied and they laundry great.

Blog Entries
    Wish you were close to me. My Missionary Group would love it.

I have fabrics like those sewn into quilts - half finished - in my garage. They have been tied, sorta - but not bound. Going to Goodwill here!

I too had a bunch of double knit. Made lap robes for folks in our local nursing homes. Not only did the residents love them, the nurses and aides said that fabric would stand up to the hot water and numerous washings they had to endure. The fabric doesn't have to be cut up and turned into an actual quilt. Make them like a pillow case of sorts.. just two layers of fabric and stitched down all the way around.

Also have two double knit quilts my Mother made from scraps. They are warm, won't fade and stand up to washings. All in all, not a bad fabric. Just not most peoples first choice.

Let us know what you end up doing with your fabric.

Blog Entries
    contact - My Brother's Keeper organization & see if there is a group in your area- they put to good use ugly poly fabrics into (ugly quilts) for homeless people---they are not offended by the ugly part- they want them to be ugly- so no one steals them =
    it is a great organization with groups all over the country-
    i didn't see any ugly's in your picture- but if you think they are...
    put them to use for good donation quilts- you can use the deduction at tax time & put them to very good use- polyester wears like steel- they quilts made with them will last a long time- local shelters, fire department, good will, st. vincent de paul---all would love any you donated.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I agree with ckcowl about using it for quilts for homeless people. Our church made a bunch of them, and the homeless shelter said they were great. They stand up to harsh environments and yet wash well. Being polyester, they also keep their warmth when wet as long as you use a polyester batt too. They don't have to be pretty, just big pieces.

Pam

Make some donation quilts...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Quote Originally Posted by karen924 View Post
    Cut it into strips and braid it into a rug for your sewing area. My Mom made a few of them back in the day. The polys are indestructible and wash well. Sorry its not a quilty answer, but that's what I'd do.
    We have done this with a lot of poly. Also DH made a garden quilt to cover the frost-sensitive vegs when frost is expected in the fall.
    never used any for quilting.

I bet it would be great for pet beds though.

Power Poster
    There are people who can use the fabric if you don't want it. Donate it to the Charity store of your choice. I made my kids poly cotton quilts back in the 70's and they got loved to death. They washed up well, kept their colours and lasted. As long as you put like materials together, you won't have any problems.
    You could also make them into pet beds for the shelters. The clothesline fabric bowls are another use for fabric of questionable content. I made a nice basket out of a Rayon blend. You could cut it into strips for crochet rugs and shopping bags. As you can see...lots of things to use it for.

I have used it cut into 41/2 squares and piece randum colors, backing old jeans, no batting, tied with light weight yarn. have had them in trunk of cars, behind truck seats. used for picknick, change tires, laying on under truck for road side repairs, kids naped on them under pine trees, wraped sick pets in on trip to vet, dogs layed on them on the way home from a swim in the ocean, even used one night when a cow gave birth and died shortly after, kept calf safe and dry on the trip to his foster mom. They are indistructable!! Had to retie one but fabric is still going strong!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast