Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you store your fabric in and would you change it?

I have plastic bins, cupboards, closet, drawers and a bookshelf for storing fabric. I was thinking it might be nice to have a pantry type cupboard, maybe with glass doors and a pull out worksurface, for storing some things in.
    What works for you and what would you change if you could?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll be watching, I am in the process of building my sewing space and am interested in the ideas. Your space looks wonderful!

Blog Entries
    I store my fabric in plastic totes. Yes I would love to have some sort of shelfs so that I can see my fabric. I think I would spend less if I could see what I have available to use up first. I also think I would make better fabric choices if I could see what I have better.

Blog Entries
    I keep mine in tubs. I would love to be able to have them on flats like in the store, all standing together, perfectly inline just waiting for me to pick them! But I think the tubs is best. With dust, cat hair, dog hair, and sticky fingered children running around the house, put away is my best bet.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    First off if I could change anything it would be to have a room like yours. :lol:
    Here is how mine is stored. I just straightened all of this out and so far I am happy with it.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    I use an inexpensive barrister. We originally bought it at Staples for our videos and cd's. I took it when we set up my current sewing area. It hold mostly fq's and 1/2-yards. Have more fabric in stacked rubbermaid drawers.

that is a nice sewing room

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I really like those flat plastic things to wrap fabric in but I don't feel like buying a million of them!!
    I'll watch this thread b/c I'm forever trying to get organized.
    Nothing seems to work for me :cry:

Blog Entries
    if i could build my "dream studio", i'd have wood cabinets with glass doors and glass fronted drawers.

in the meantime, i really like using the stackable plastic drawers to store my fabs.

i can see what's in them; they make my space look neat and organized even if what's in the drawers is not; i don't worry about dust getting on my fabs, or about fading at the folds; and they fit my budget. :-)

Your sewing room is very nice. Everything looks well organized and easy to keep clean. Right now I have my fabric in tubs, but it is hard to see what I've got.

Blog Entries
    I had mine in those rolling plastic drawer units. I bought a vintage china cabinet and am in the process of refolding and putting my fabric in it. So far I love the look. The folding, not so much.

I am watching for a couple of barristers...love the look.

I use Rubbermaid basket bins I got thru WM.com. They are reasonably priced. I bought 4 originally. The plan was to have one drawer for each color, with a drawer for 30's, batiks, and cat fabrics. I now have 12 units (for a total of 60 drawers!!), and could use one or two more. It really helped me out when I got all my fabric together from bins and boxes and folded it to fit -- I got to revisit some old favorites I forgot about, and I also got a good idea of what I had too much of and what I needed more of. I included a pic of one row w/ my big ironing board on top of them. Keeps fabric visible and keeps the cats from getting into it. This is the best solution I have come up with so far (other than custom cabinetry, which I would never be able to afford!!). I may one day make "curtains" for them and attach w/ velcro. One day...sigh...

I would like a narrow taller shelf or glass doored shelving unit to replace the bookshelf.

The last house I lived in there was a small bedroom that I turned into my fabric store room. I put shelves around all the walls and used it just to store my fabric in, that way my work room was for sewing and it kept things a lot neater. I wish I still had that extra room.

The last house I lived in there was a small bedroom that I turned into my fabric store room. I put shelves around all the walls and used it just to store my fabric in, that way my work room was for sewing and it kept things a lot neater. I wish I still had that extra room.

I live in a 2 bedroom home ... well really a 1 bedroom and a studio home - the studio is what was the large master bedroom. [Since I only sleep and read in bed, so why do I need a big bedroom? I'm in the studio when I am awake and love the openess there.]

I bought the IKEA Antonius system and then double stacked one in a closet and the other one is under my embroidery machine table which I also bought at IKEA as I can alter the height of the table to fit my needs. I don't sit while using the embroidery machine by use either my sewing machine, HQ, or my computer while the emb machine does its thing.

ali

Blog Entries
    I keep mine in the 9 cube shelve organizers you can get at target. I have 2 of them.. could probably use another one.

Blog Entries
    I keep my fabric in 2 cabinets with doors on them. They are the Sauer (sp?) tall cabinets that you can get from Walmart, Target, etc. I would love to have one more cabinet to really organize my fabrics better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cherylynne
    Right now I have my fabric in tubs, but it is hard to see what I've got.
    Me too. Mine are in the cabinets and I have to remember where each color is or there is a lot of door-opening until I find the right bin.

I wish I had doors on all of my stash storage, even man made light will fade fabrics .

I had been storing my fabric in those plastic zippered bags that comforters, sheets, pillow cases and blankets come in. They work really good but I've recently started using thosed boards to put them on my bookcases. I really like how they look there.

I have 7 of the pattern cabinets that you find in any fabric store, all filled with fabric, folded on a 4x12 ruler, and put into the drawer, where I can see all the fabric in that drawer. I have 6 of them, back to back, then a 2 piece counter top, which is my cutting table. Each drawer is designated for a certain background color, although there are usually at least 2 drawers of certain colors. I love how my fabric is stored, I just wish I had my old sewing room back, because this one is very small compared to it.

I have the baskets in the racks too and I love them, at least can see what I have and with everything folded it stays pretty neat.

Mine are in plastic tubs, not much room so for now this is what I have to use. Soon hope to move to third floor there is lots of room there!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast