Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine? >

What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine?

What do you use to keep your quilt rolled up when sewing on a domestic machine?

Old 03-15-2021, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
Well heck, I was hoping for a magic answer.
This doesn't actually address the rolled up/puddling/suspension question but do you have your sewing machine bed level with the table surface either through a drop in table or some kind of table topper? If you don't, I suspect that would be the magic answer you're looking for I didn't have the money for a custom drop in table nor does my husband do any woodworking so I suffered for years without a level surface and no amount of rolling, puddling, anything would make up for a level surface - I ended up building a foam insulation table topper to fit my machine and my only regret is not doing it sooner!
Old 03-15-2021, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post
I suffered for years without a level surface and no amount of rolling, puddling, anything would make up for a level surface
That's 100% true! I can't imagine trying to quilt anything larger than a crib quilt on a portable machine - it has to be terribly frustrating. I've always used cabinet mounted machines and I know that helped me more than any other single factor.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:53 PM

Aha, I think that is the answer I'm looking for.

My Juki lives on my grandfather's sofa credenza because it's what I had, it's the right height for me, and I don't have room for another piece of furniture. Ad, because of my rheumatoid arthritis, and pain in my back and shoulders, the back of the Juki is on rubber wedges, tilting it a bit, to help lessen the pain.

I do have a treadle machine that's built in but I don't imagine that would be the best for FMQ. If someone knows how that can be done I'd like to know!

Sephie, how did you make your foam insulation table topper? That may be the way to go.
Old 03-15-2021, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by mcadwell View Post
Sephie, how did you make your foam insulation table topper? That may be the way to go.
I'll put the links at the bottom of my post. It's way cheaper than you'll ever get for a custom table and isn't hard to make. Total game changer.

At my Home Depot, they didn't have the thicker kind of insulation she uses in the links. What they had was about 1in thick and comes in huge sheets but they can cut it for you a little smaller so you're closer to the dimensions you need. You purchase by the sheet and you used to get 1 cut for free? Additional cuts are usually something like 25c or 50c? Each sheet when I bought it was around $10 and something enormous like 4ft by 8ft? Online, it looks like they have quite the variety! I have the one with the Pink Panther on it I only needed 2 sheets to get the height of my machine ($20) , so you'll just need to do your measuring carefully so you know what height you'll need to get to and how big your table is.

Things I did differently: I just used some thin vinyl sheet from big box store ($5?) instead of searching out the thickest. as I believe she recommends. I also taped my foam boards together first with clear packing tape, then after making the cut out for my machine, I taped the vinyl all around to seal the edges of the foam so my quilts don't catch on the edges nor do I ever worry about pulling the vinyl off - you just kind of fold it around like you do if you're wrapping an odd sized gift. Packing tape worked great and this many years later, it's still awesome! I did leave a small bit of the vinyl where the cutout for the machine is? I left it whole, smooth, and uncut so that when I slide my machine in, the vinyl goes right up to my bobbin cover so I don't even need a Supreme Slider. That's the only spot really where the raw edges of the foam are exposed, right at the end of the machine but it's hidden under the vinyl so you'd never know. I can't remember if she does that but it's been great! I can access my bobbin quickly and I never move my machine from the topper unless I'm using the free arm.

Foam Topper Video 1
Foam Topper Video 2

Old 03-16-2021, 03:19 PM

This is WONDERFUL!!

My quilting table wasn't nearly large enough so I think this fits the bill!!

Thank you!
Old 03-16-2021, 04:14 PM

I took a picture while I was in the room today so you can see how I did the vinyl around the cutout It's not the prettiest but it doesn't bother me since the function and cost savings tremendously outweighs any cares I might have about appearances. I've nicked the vinyl a couple times over the years with pins and such but a little scotch tape has fixed it easily.

Attached Thumbnails pxl_20210316_150416087.jpg  
Old 03-16-2021, 05:34 PM

It's actually ingenious. It's true, necessity is the mother of invention.

Thank you for sharing this. I never would've thought of it in a million years