Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: What do you use to store your current project?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by susanwilley View Post
    I found small see through plastic envelopes with velcro closures at Holly Lobby. They are great for storing my triangles, squares and other pieces. They're about 4 x 6, I think and are great for keeping the pieces seperate and I can see at a glance which one to grab. I also use the zippered see through bags that sheet sets and blankets come in to store the fabric that I'm using at the time. They are great for holding all the little envelopes in and keeping everything together. I haven't been able to find these envelopes anywhere except Holly Lobby and I've looked everywhere I go because Holly Lobby is not at all close to me. I tried to post pictures but haven't figured out how to yet. I keep getting a failed message.
    Try an office supply store or even the online office supply - good luck

Blog Entries
    I use rectangle cake carriers for projects. It will hold pieces for a large quilt. Handles fold out of the way for stacking. I buy them at WalMart.

Got fabric?

I use ArtBin containers for each project, including the double deep ones--two towers of them. Also zippered plastic bags. As you can tell, I have too many projects.
    SandyQuilter

I mostly use these sterilite bins- they fit my shelves perfectly: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...Clear/15940593

I've only ever found them at Wal Mart, unfortunately. I never shop there, and I'd like to get some more. I have no idea if they still carry them in the store.

Here's a pic of them on my shelf:
    Name:  6938019786_c2b6a59c0a_m.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  19.0 KB
    QMFAO

I have both clear plastic containers with lids or a Zip type packet (12X12 file folder) that I purchase at Walmart. I like to have things together, so as not to lose items or a quick grab on the way out the door. I have also used the zipper plastic bags that sheet/pillowcases/curtains come in.
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I have gone to using these containers also. Can purchase in different sizes. I think my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock Tea View Post
    I mostly use these sterilite bins- they fit my shelves perfectly: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...Clear/15940593

I've only ever found them at Wal Mart, unfortunately. I never shop there, and I'd like to get some more. I have no idea if they still carry them in the store.

Here's a pic of them on my shelf:
    Name:  6938019786_c2b6a59c0a_m.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  19.0 KB
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I use zlploc bags in sizes from snack size to 2 1/2 gal. to keep cut pieces together. Then those bags go into plastic 12"x 12" Artbin cases to keep everything for one project together. I have 2 stacks of the cases---working on 3. lol. This past weekend I found 14" x 14" plastic project cases (I think they are intended for scrapbooking, but they are perfect for quilting.) at Costco---a stack of 5 of them in 5 different colors---for $18 and change. That price is much better than the Artbin at JoAnn's even with the 50% off coupon. They don't have a carrying handle, but they have the same clasps as the Artbin so they stay closed securely.

I use zlploc bags in sizes from snack size to 2 1/2 gal. to keep cut pieces together. Then those bags go into plastic 12"x 12" Artbin cases to keep everything for one project together. I have 2 stacks of the cases---working on 3. lol. This past weekend I found 14" x 14" plastic project cases (I think they are intended for scrapbooking, but they are perfect for quilting.) at Costco---a stack of 5 of them in 5 different colors---for $18 and change. That price is much better than the Artbin at JoAnn's even with the 50% off coupon. They don't have a carrying handle, but they have the same clasps as the Artbin so they stay closed securely.

The gremlins are messing with the board today. My last message posted twice and then I got an error message that said the message was too short to post. Go figure! lol.

Kel
    Have a signture quilt stored and a plastic container, then have the 12 different colored blocks in seporate ziploc bags, all 180 of them... with directions of layout, and yardage for the boarders and binding so I can purchase the right amounts when I go to the quilt shop. The quilt is for my daughter. At her wedding I will have all the guests sign a block with a well wish, and then do the genalogy of relitives for her future viewing. Kel

Multiple totes they hold cut and cut items for any project
    pat design

I like to use a clean plastic strawberry box from the grocery store for small pieces. I have some in plastic bags, but prefer the plastic shoe boxes for stacking.

Um, one quilt top is on top of my printer and the pieces for another top is in a USPS box sitting on my sewing table. lol I need a better storage area.
    Sabrina
    Mommy to a 6 year old little girl, 3 dogs, 5 cats, and 2 fish. lol Life keeps me busy but when I have a moment, I love to sew
    http://ataleofamilitaryfamily.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsLove

I keep mine in Zip Lock bags but I keep them out on my cutting table so I don't forget to finish them.
    Mommy of 2 beautiful kitties & 1 adorable husband

Thank you for the link to the sterilite boxes! I will be ordering them this week!
    I'm finishing up my new quilting room, the drywall just needs finishing, and then paint. It's right next to my sewing room which is jam-packed and the sterilite boxes will be perfect as I spread out into the new room.

I placed photos of what I did for storage in my sewing room on my blog if you want a look.
    http://quiltdasher.blogspot.com/2012...and-clean.html
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Banned
    im going out and get some pizza boxes for the small projects.
    Looking for some shallow plastic boxes for other projects.
    Finding that empty shelves close by the cutting table is good to store projects on so i can see them.

An email came in just now... "organize your sewing room" LOL Is someone trying to tell me something???

This is the link from the email, thought I'd share it. There are lots of photos! Oh my gosh, they even broke the storage ideas down into "styles".
    http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...plies_ss1.html
    https://quiltdasher.blogspot.com

I like to make lists. I also like to leave them laying on my sewing table and then guess what's on the list while at the fabric store. Fun game.

Stored? my stuff is everywhere, in piles, in clear plastic containers, on seperate tables. No one else is living with me so I am usually messy. Of course, for holidays I must clean up when my children, grand children and siblings arrive between there are between 25 and 30, they need to be able to sit someplace and eat
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    A pile on the cutting table??? Doesn't everybody??!

Jan in VA
    Yes! Isn't that what cutting tables are for?
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    They stay out, visible and accessible. If they were 'stored' in something, even clear plastic, they'd never get finished.

Ain't that the truth!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I use the plastic storage bins from Walmart. They aren't too expensive and have a couple of different sizes.

Kathie

I use the ex-large zip lock bags that, since 2 of my sisters and myself are nurses, isolation supplies come in. The supplies have to be removed before going into the rooms and instead of throwing the bags away in the trash at the door--they get recycled by/for me! Just the right size to place all the supplies in for the entire quilt-can use small baggies and large baggies to put cut pieces in for different blocks, thread, scraps for borders and binding and then place all in the ex-large bag. If going to a class this keeps everything where it belongs and so much easier to travel with!
    Bootsie

I use plastic bags and plastic containers with lids from the dollar store to keep a whole project. Tape label on outside of box because sometimes have a couple going at once with guild mystery, step-by-step, regular projects, etc. Can use more than one box if big project. Also how I keep all fabric I am working on for specific project. Cheap way

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3