Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: What do you want to do with your stuff?

I have belonged to my local weavers guild for years. It is common knowledge among our spouses that when one of us passes the spouse is to call a friend in the guild and they will take care of it for you. We call them 'Dead Weaver's Sale' and have done it for a few members. One member had so much yarn and weaving supplies that it sold for thousands, and that was just by word of mouth, no formal sale. She donated all of her fabric to the local 4H and they had to use a high school auditorium to arrange the sale.

My mom has a list of her quilts she wants to go to the museume, she has a few show quilts. But it looks like I will have to make a list of my own, Daughter is for right now only interested in sewing clothes, but we all know who that can change with how the wind is blowing on what day. My girlfriend and I will be exchanging. I think I need to put more thought into this. I want a "wake". lol Hubby will just have to understand.

I'm not sure about my stuff because I have two sons who have absolutely NO interest in it. But I know that I will get all of my mom's sewing/quilting things. My sister told her one time "Mom, I will wear or use anything you make me, but I don't want any of your machines or materials". So Mom told her, "Well, I guess Cristy gets everything I own when I die." :)

Blog Entries
    My DMIL passed away a few months ago.. she left no will, no instructions, nothing. Her life was sewing, she made her living managing a large fabric store, sewed professionally and had a 3 bedroom home stuffed with everything someone who sews, crochets, knits, or paints could ever want. When she died quit suddenly I had to figure out what to do with her things. It has been a daunting experience. I have gone through her things room by room and tried to do something with all of it.. I did not want to take it to a land fill, and I didn't really want to sell it. I brought more home than my DH can stand, but much more of it has been given to whoever I found that needed/wanted it. I overheard my DH say to another man, "if she (meaning me) dies before I do I'll have all this stuff cleared out of here in a few days".. I have to tell you it broke my heart to hear that. So I plan to make what quilts I can from what I have here now. Weave the wool rugs I have wool for, knit what I can with the yarn I own... but I'm not buying anything more, and when, and if, I can use up what I have, then I'll be done. My machines and other things will go to my daughter.. she may get them earlier than she expects. I won't leave them here for him to take care of.

Quote Originally Posted by materialworld
    I have been down-sizing all but a few hobbies (quilting, knitting), because I came to the realization that I can't possibly do it all! Especially, after going to estate sales and watching the families struggle to liquidate items that only a few understand the value. On the other side, those who do understand the value will apreciate and use these items, and carry on the traditions. When I buy quilting items from an estate, it makes me feel like the new caretaker, and am very reverent of the gifts.
    I love your use of the word "reverent". Very appropriate.

I don't have anyone in my family that quilts. I've told my daughter I don't want my stuff to go to Goodwill. She is to offer it to church groups that sew. We live near an academy that teaches Home Ec that could probably use it.
    Your story made me sad. The lady must have died suddenly.

My younger daughter will get all my quilting stuff She sews and quilts when she has the time. She's a teacher with two small boys. My other daughter wouldn't know which end of the sewing machine to thread but she's a wonderful nurse.

Blog Entries
    I have been thinking about this too. I have a very expensive sewing machine and I want to make sure it goes to someone who will love it as much as I do. My daughter-in-law is a career woman and hardly cooks let alone sew. I have many nieces but I am at a loss on what to do??? I am 62 but these days you never know so want my husband and boys to know what to do with all my fabric, machines, etc!!

Blog Entries
    I have 3 daughters but only one sews, understands me more than the other two and is closest to me. We are both under the same sign. Anyway, she will be the executor of my meiger things. We, my husband and I are over 70 and still haven't made out a will. He is balking really bad. He must think he will not make that journey. I, too, when time tells me, will downsize. I have more than just sewing stuff. I have collections that will need to be distributed. But for now, I have only stash enough to do 2 more quilt tops and don't expect to buy any more material until they are used up.
    Rita

Mine all goes to my daughter. I have quite a stash, and daughter and I are sorting through it now, some of it must go as we're out of space.

I had never really thought about this before, but I should as I am 81 now and who knows how much longer I can go....Anyway my only child, daughter, isn't interested in sewing so she would probably give it to Good Will. I think I will tell her to give it to the local quilt guild instead.

Thanks for bring up this subject. I wish I could just ship it all to the wonderful folks here at the QB. Maybe someone could come up with some way we could put this group of quilters in our wills. Idea? Kate

A wake with friends is a great idea, I also have sons, who on occasion have dabbled in sewing, not quilting, but have two quilting sisters (both older) and a few close friends who all quilt, and I think this is a great idea !!!!!!!!

I have a small family. My granddaughter came and stayed a week with me and sewed a lg. queen size quilt for her bed, quilted it on my LA and even bounded it by herself, as well as making 6 pillowcases. She will get everything. The only thing I have asked is not to sell it at a garage sale. Give what quilts I have to my friends and family that want them after she picks out what she wants, and give what my friends and she doesn't want to charity. She is the only one that has shown any interest in my family.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnna
    I've had some serious thoughts on this last year. I have sons and neither quilts. I didn't want to leave 'unfinished' projects, etc. it's always so sad to find those in thrift stores! So I got serious this year and started the Ufo & Wips challenge thread. To finish up all the projects, not buy anymore fabric unless it's needed to finish projects. As I get going I'll downsize my gadgets as well.
    When my grandmother died (many years ago), and when my mom died a few years ago, the only things they had left were their old sewing machines, 1 each, some thread, a few notions, my mom had about 12 well used patterns and some embroidery floss and 5 skeins of yarn. both had about 1 shoe box of scrap fabrics left. That's it.
    My hope is that all my projects are complete and all my remaining 'stuff' is well used.
    Blessings,
    MaryAnnd

Getting all my Wip's and finished but unquilted tops done and reorganizing my quilt room. This was my New Year's resolution. So far, so good. I feel exactly as you do. katie

I don't have any children and none of my nieces or nephews have any interest so far.....some friends have children so maybe we'll be able to guide one or two of them in the quilting way and choose them as our heirs ;-)

Wow, 81 years old, and are you still quilting? I feel the pain in my fingers at 62, and wonder if I will still be able to sew much longer. I enjoy it so much, made a lot of things over the years, but it is getting more difficult now. I will miss it when I can no longer do it.

Yes, I am and I intend to keep doing it as long as possible. It fulfills my creative needs. I also make placemats, coasters, bags and all sorts of quilted smaller items. The quilts I make are more the lap quilt and wall hanging size, easier to handle.

They say, "If you don't use it, you lose it" and I v'e lost enough already. LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trisha
    I told my DH to come onto the board and give everything away to whoever wants it.
    Make sure to write exact instructions on how to get to this site before you go. :) That way he can never say he didn't know how to get here.

I have thought about this, I'm only 42, but you never know.
    My DD does not quilt, but she understands my love for it, as does my DS, so they can have whetever they want and sell the rest or give to someone who does quilt. I would hope that when the time comes they will think about the grandkids(ages 7 & 15months) even if they don't quilt now they may have an intrest in it someday.
    My DMIL is now getting Hospice care and recently had her daughter and I go through some of her fabric and take what we wanted, the rest she wants donanted to a Sr. Center Store in town, so I will be taking some there soon.

I hope to have used it all up by then!

I like your sense of humor! I make some small items too. I like making pillows, wall hangings and placemats, etc. But I love putting together the quilt tops. I don't mind making the quilt tops, but I can't put them together anymore. I have a friend who has a long arm quilting machine and she puts the batting and the backing on for me. I love to applique, I just finished a basket quilt I worked on for almost 3 years while sitting and watching tv. (I guess I didn't watch much tv) ha ha. Finally got it put together and I am so proud of it. It is good that you still love to sew. I hope I still can when I am your age. :)

I have just been thinking about this very topic as last week I had to dispose of a relatives collectables. He did not sew, but mentined how much his collections was worth --- but not to us.
    I have told my husband many times, just who he should call when i go. She will know just what to do with everything that my daughters do not want.
    I did find a dealer for my BIL's collection, someone he had dealt with while he was collecting.
    Last year our guild made many, many charity quilts from the collection of a recently deceased member whose daughter came to us with boxes and boxes and...

Many of you have nailed it by saying you were going to "write it down". That's the only way we can insure that it won't get dumped. I think I'll put my list in the drawer of my favorite machine, just in case someone wants it before the will is read.

Me too! I have this fabulous stash of fabric, that I inherited from a dear friend who was an avid quilter and passed her talent on to me, she passed away a few years ago and her daughter and husband sent me several boxes of her fabric, and I have made several quilts from it. I am recently started a new style of quilt to use up a lot of my scraps. It is turning out to be a lot of fun, and the scraps have really made it quite pretty.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6