Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what fabric would you use to make dresser scarves?

Blog Entries
    I want to make dresser scarves for Chirstmas and do not know what type of fabric to use. I have an embroidery machine and tons of designs that would look beautiful, but I haven't done it because I have no idea what to use. Should I use Kona cotton or some other cotton. I prefer to stay with cotton as it is easier to wash. Help!

Power Poster
    I used bath towels. (terry cloth)

I made table runners in the same fabric as the quilt on my bed. Love the look of it But then I have antique wash stand and dresser in my bedroom

I think I would use a poly/cotton blend as they are more wrinkle resistant, some people I know would toss it in a drawer after washing rather than ironing it.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    I think I would use a poly/cotton blend as they are more wrinkle resistant, some people I know would toss it in a drawer after washing rather than ironing it.
    I agree.

I use Aida or Hardanger for hand embroidered dresser scarves. Seems like they would work for machine embroidery just as well. Both are 100% cotton and come in lots of colors. http://www.juliesxstitch.com/Tips_ChoosingaFabric.htm

I'm with Ghostrider. I've used Lugana and linen and embroidered with my machine and they are lovely. There's a web that sells just blanks for different projects.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    I'm with Ghostrider. I've used Lugana and linen and embroidered with my machine and they are lovely. There's a web that sells just blanks for different projects.
    Do you know what website?

I use upholstery fabric for my runners. Not the heavy olefin type fabric but the lighter weight sold from rolls for pillows and draperies. Wash and wear!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseP
    I want to make dresser scarves for Chirstmas and do not know what type of fabric to use. I have an embroidery machine and tons of designs that would look beautiful, but I haven't done it because I have no idea what to use. Should I use Kona cotton or some other cotton. I prefer to stay with cotton as it is easier to wash. Help!
    What are dresser scarves please?

Blog Entries
    i make all mine , lie table runners, out of quilting cottons

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by loopywren
    A dresser scarf is a piece of cotton fabric that is usually embroidered and has lace around it. You put it on the top of the dresser, almost like a doily.

Banned
    Now Denise.....it may be that only us "older" quilters know what a doily is......I just had to get that "older" in the message which was referred to in another post....lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Now Denise.....it may be that only us "older" quilters know what a doily is......I just had to get that "older" in the message which was referred to in another post....lol
    It's funny, our kids get older but we never do.

It's funny, our kids get older but we never do.
    I agree with Denise.

Linen and Rayon or cotton

A dresser scarf is a piece of cotton fabric that is usually embroidered and has lace around it. You put it on the top of the dresser, almost like a doily.
    Thank you. I understand now, I am old enough to know what a doily is though I hate to admit it!

I would use linen or something similar.

Blog Entries
    Me, too-even my brother and sister age but not my mom!! She is a very young 84!

Denise...here's the web:

http://www.allaboutblanks.com/

I am making table runners for my dressers - I guess they would be dresser scarves.
    I'm using cotton fabric, using a heavy muslin or maybe a light flannel for batting, and cotton backing.

Blog Entries
    quote=retired2pa]Denise...here's the web:

http://www.allaboutblanks.com/[/quote]

thank you for the link Retired2pa. I put it in my favorites :!: I am always looking at new ideals for Christmas.

Blog Entries
    I am not that old :lol: but I know what a doily is ;)

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I hand embroider them using white 100% cottom broadcloth. It is not quite like the fabric used in the 1920-40 however it is the best substitute for the heavy weight cotton that was used in dresser scarves. When they get soiled toss in the washing machine and starch the heck out of them when you iron. I love a nice crisp dresser scarf.

Blog Entries
    Basically the same thing as a table cloth, something to protect the surface or be decorative. I like a fine linen for mine. Kona cotton is too hard to keep the wrinkles out of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast