Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you? >

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

What was the first thing you ever sewed and how old were you?

Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Yoyos for my GM's quilting bee once a week. Age four.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
I learned to sew at age 11 in Home Ec.
The first thing I ever made was a drawstring gym bag.
Then a circle skirt. (They were "in" back then. No guessing my age....)
And I've been thankful for that Home Ec class ever since. I also knit, crochet, etc but my favorite hobby is by far sewing/quilting. (That teacher also attempted to teach me to cook but that's a sad story :-) )
Barbie doll clothes about about age 8 or 9.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:42 AM

Wow long time ago. 6 years old, grandmother taught me to embroider. She made all my dresses and I had to trim the collars and cuffs. hated it then love it now, as well as quilting
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Home Ec but couldn't say at what age or year. My father raced horses and my mother once counted up that I went to 52 schools. The point being that everything kind of blended together in my mind. Made the usual apron, skirt kind of thing.
I do remember an incident in HS where we made those "tent dresses" and when I clipped the seam allowances on the sleeve interfacings I clipped through the yoke of the dress. Teacher wanted me to take the dress completely apart and put in a new yoke. Of course...yeah right. Went home and made a complete new dress over the weekend. She never knew the difference.
That was how I learned to sew but my dear grandmother actually instilled the love of sewing and sewing machines in me and we spent many a summer sewing dresses for school in the fall.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:27 AM

When I was 6 or 7 I wanted my Barbie to havve cslothes, so I made them. Then I joined 4-H. I have been interested in quilting all along but really sewing clothes was my main interest. It's funny, when I met my husband (over 30 years ago) he had his tools in the back of his van wrapped up in a quilt his Grandma made. I rescued it immediately and told him if we broke up he could have it back, but it has a treasured spot in our house. Let's see in I can share a pic of it:

This looks to be more involved than I can do right now, let's say for now it's a gorgeous appliqued quilt. She died a few months after we were married, I know we would have been best friends
I have to tell abbout my daughter. She was scheduled for scoliosis surgery when she was 16 and had a few appointments before the surgery to give some of her own blood 'just in case' She was lying there and I noticed what she was wearing and I asked "Where did you get this skirt?"
Seems she bought a top at Goodwill and she's so tiny, it was enough fabric for her to make a skirt out of it! We bought her a new sewing machine as a 'glad you made it' gift after the surgery.

So glad so many of you learned to sew in Home Ec classes, having been a Home Ec teacher for many, many years. Started sewing when I was about five. I learned on the old Singer treadle (I loved the story of Rumpelstilskin, so with the old treadle I was able to "spin much, much gold!!) As I got a few years older, if I did the mending I didn't have to do the dishes -- great incentive! I made my first quilt when I was in fourth grade, and I still have it. And I still like to "leave the dishes" and sew.

I started in 4-H, probably 9 or 10...the first thing I ever tried on my own was an A-line skirt with side pockets... I sewed those darn pockets 4 times before I did it without sewing them shut!! I remember being VERY upset with myself each time I finished the seam, only to realize I'd sewn it shut AGAIN!!!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:36 AM

Hmmmm. I'd have to go with a skirt I made for myself in home ec class in the 8th grade--so 13? I chose the more horrible fabric for it too. I never wore it, but my girlfriend loved it.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 AM

When I was about 7 I made a pair of shorts, inadvertently cut to paper doll, not human, shape. Big sister's ridicule put me off sewing for years. The next thing I remember is a home ec project of a black and pink checked dress. In my zeal to be done first for chance to model, I sewed part of skirt bottom in side zipper. Fortunately the home ec teacher was more diplomatic than Big Sister so I went on to greater things and have sewn for myself, a son, 3 granddaughters and friends for many years. I'm fairly new to quilting, though, so I feel like I'm starting over.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 AM

I made a doll dress for my byelo baby when I was in 4th or 5th grade and then took home ec. in HS - In the 60's we thought polished cotton was terrific in pink no less - Do you have the picture of a big pink outfit headed your way - boxed pleated skirts and tops - What were we thinking.