Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What a guy on a date should never say to a quilter....LOL.

When I had small children I had mad some cookies that had some nutmeg in and were very good. My boys shared some with some friend of theirs and their reply was "these are the kind that old grandmas make" So I can say they were in training at a young age.

Blog Entries
    Around new people I say I like to sew. They always ask what do I sew and then I say I sew quilts. Most say Ahh, my ___________ use to make quilts. And usually go into a big spill about the quilt frame being in the living room, hand stitches, cutting out pieces of cardboard, and all the other ways grand or great so and so did it. I say I don't quilt that way, the new methods are much more fun.
    Got fabric?

I primarily work with men in a high tech environment. They usually just grin when they find out I sew (children's wear, some adult garments, quilt, and have a small side business doing embroidery). I tell them that I started sewing again when I moved into management. As an engineer, I was able to create wonderful things, but a manager's job is never done. Creating things with fabric gives me a rush and a feeling of accomplishment. Then they finally "get it" (particularly if they end up getting small gifts like luggage handle wraps or mug rugs which they have uniformly liked).

Pam

I hate it when they refer to our quilts as blankets!
    Linda

What was your response to him?
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    My mother always told me ignorance is bliss. But, in this case I'd say that you should enlighten him. If he still thinks its something that old ladies do, take him to a quilt show. If he doesn't catch on by then, ditch him. hehehe!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Hee Hee. I've had comments like that regarding my knitting.

I predict no second date for him

Blog Entries
    If he's a keeper otherwise, you'll probably have HIM quilting before too long.
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

My husbands comment "boy, that sure wastes a lot of thread' No, they don't get it.

I hear it all the time, especially since I quilt on treadles! And, I'm 40 and holding... Wouldn't believe how many people stuck their foot in their mouth when we were building our home and we told them that the big, bright, beautiful front room was a sewing room. SO many people said "Really? It's such a nice room. WHY waste the space for a sewing room?". Wanted to slap 'em. ha ha
    There is no monotony in real joy.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

My husband told me quilting was making me old. He had to stop at McDonald's for awhile to get his supper. He also had to do his own laundry. When he asked what was going on I told him I was old and couldn't do those things any longer. Needless to say he apologized. LOL!!!
    Kim

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog. ~Franklin P. Jones

Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    Husband told me yesterday that we have enough quilts now (8-10), so I need to find something else to do. Can you just stop quilting, just like that??? They just don't get it. We don't quilt to just make quilts. Silly men!
    lol,yes silly men.I have bins full of quilts and as soon as I feel better I have a bin of tops to quilt.I am not stopping until my health makes me stop.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Dont hold much hope for that date I wouldnt look for a second.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    whoa .. 2 questions: Did you finish the date? and Are ya gonna go out with him again? LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fixfido View Post
    I went on a first date with a man not too long ago and, while we were making small talk, I said I loved to quilt in my spare time. He said, "Quilting? Isn't that something old ladies do?" All I could think was, "If he'd open his mouth a little more, he might be able to fit his whole foot in there!" Just thought it was worth a chuckle...
    Orrrrrr, if he'd just stand up and turn around, your foot might fit on his hiney. Bless his heart. If you liked him give him another chance, just educate him quickly.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Some people (mostly men) consider anything hand done by a woman to be busy work. It's not anything to be excited about, especially sewing, because (according to my daughter and son-in-law) the machine does all the work. Needless to say, they do not get any of my quilts.

Blog Entries
    I once had man say that it was great that I quilted because if we stayed together I could do his mending -you know, since I already sew and all. I laughed and said that mend was a four-letter word to me and I don't like to say (or do) it. We're not together, but we're friends and I've had his wife in a few of my quilting classes. I don't think she does his mending either. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I can't think of a better hobby or way of life than making quilts.
    Amen to Jingle!
    Each day is a new beginning. adrian...

I get that all the time and it sounds like the rest of us do as well. He just doesn't know. Unless your obsessed like the rest of us, many people have no idea what is involved in our craft. Like the rest of the ladies I am wondering if there was a second date?

Years ago I went on several first dates. This one man actually said the same thing to me.."Isn't that what old ladies do?" I told him I was in disguise...and no, no second date...

I would have told him that this little old lady can whip out a great many wonderful quilts! Then say bye bye! Luann
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Blog Entries
    And, what's the rest of the story, are you still dating him? Men can be so insenitive some times.
    Retired & enjoying life

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    ....So, when people make innocent comments about sewing/quilting or any other hobby they are not familiar with, it is a learning opp to teach them. Heck, I never knew people actually hunted morels until I saw it on TV!

Give the guy a break. I have to give a lot of ladies like me a break when they don't realize how strong the quilting world really is. If you are not involved, how would you know?

The regret for me is that I did not discover it sooner! (I did not know about rotary cutters! LOL!!)

Sandy
    Very Well Said Sandy!

That was one big "OOPS" on his part. Did he realize what he said?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast