Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what happens to FMQ after wash? >

what happens to FMQ after wash?

what happens to FMQ after wash?

Old 08-13-2016, 01:03 PM

Default what happens to FMQ after wash?

Today I have spend lots of time looking at FMQ on different sites, looking for inspiration.So many lovely quilts and quilting and I do love fmq myself, but I am just wondering what happens to any beautifully fm quilted quilt after washing, can you still see the quilting? I would not mind seeing pictures of quilts that have been washed and see how the quilting looks. Most pictures are of not washed quilts, so I wonder.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:26 PM

I think it looks even nicer after the quilt has been washed. It looks softer somehow with a little poofiness, if that's a word. Not sure I have pictures of before and after quilting. I usually try to take a picture when I'm done then wash, dry and give to the recipient.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Since all of my quilts are laundered as soon as I finish binding all the pictures I post of finished quilts are laundered quilts. FMQ- ing becomes lovelier , more pronounced, easier to see the detail after laundering. Here's a couple I think shows the quilting well on laundered quilts.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 08-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I just depends if you want your stitching to prominently show up. I would rather have my piecing be the star of the quilt. My quilting just enhances the beauty of my quilts or at least that is what I try to do.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:11 PM

There are a few choices you can make to ensure the quilting stands out.

1. Use a heavier weight thread.
2. Quilt it twice. I have a friend who quilted over the same stitches twice. It really made the quilting stand out.
3. Use a wool batt.

Here's one I made a few years ago, after washing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555921[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails brn-yellow-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra View Post
Today I have spend lots of time looking at FMQ on different sites, looking for inspiration.So many lovely quilts and quilting and I do love fmq myself, but I am just wondering what happens to any beautifully fm quilted quilt after washing, can you still see the quilting? I would not mind seeing pictures of quilts that have been washed and see how the quilting looks. Most pictures are of not washed quilts, so I wonder.
My fmq is not all that, but all of my quilts are washed before a photo is posted. I love the wrinkly look but I can still the quilting. Looks fine to me.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Since all of my quilts are laundered as soon as I finish binding all the pictures I post of finished quilts are laundered quilts. FMQ- ing becomes lovelier , more pronounced, easier to see the detail after laundering. Here's a couple I think shows the quilting well on laundered quilts.
Both of these quilts are lovely but I really love the first one. What is the name of the pattern please? Thanks in advance. BrendaK
Old 08-14-2016, 04:45 AM

I know this has been talked about before but as a refresher, how are you all washing them. Specifically the batiks with the white background - did you pre wash the batiks, use cool water, a special detergent, a gentle cycle, color catchers, line dry, air dry or any other tips you could give? Thanks.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:05 AM

Thanks CK for sharing some beautiful quilt pictures!
Old 08-14-2016, 05:53 AM

Love both your quilts but could you tell us the name of the pattern for the first one, please. It is my fav.