Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is an Heirloom Quilt? >

What is an Heirloom Quilt?

What is an Heirloom Quilt?

Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 AM

Default What is an Heirloom Quilt?

I've seen this a few times now and I'm wondering makes a quilt an "Heirloom Quilt"?
Old 02-12-2016, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

"Heirloom" is in the eye of the beholder!
To me it means something that has artistic and/or technical and/or sentimental value to you enough that you want to ensure it will continue to exist by passing its ownership on. Hopefully to someone who feels the same as you!
Interesting question. Very curious to read other responses.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:34 AM

I'm not really sure...to me, when someone says, "I'm making an Heirloom quilt" that makes me think that it's a quilt that is designed to be displayed rather than used. That's just my impression though - it probably means something a little different to each person who uses it.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 AM

When I hear someone saying, this is an Heirloom Quilt and I am passing it on, I think to myself, "What a Waste!". In my Guild it's usually a Baltimore Album or some other intricate designed quilt that gets put on a shelf and drug out every once in a while to show. Sort of like the formal living rooms of our grandmothers that we were never allowed to play in. A true heirloom in my eyes is a quilt that is used, loved and worn. A remembrance of happy times of childhood or events. A quilt that is put up for safe keeping is eventually a garage sale item, sold cheap because it means nothing.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Well, I am pretty sure my quilts won't show up in a garage sale. I expect that if I don't write it in the will who gets what, their might be some arguing over who gets what. I consider the quilt top that I bought from My Great Great Aunt (only met her once)in the early 70s is an Heirloom quilt. Disappointed when my Great Aunt Maude (she introduced me to this 90+ woman) didn't put a label with it's history on the back of this quilt when her quilting bee hand-quilted it for me. It is going back to the little town in Kansas being donated to the local museum where my Dad's relatives were born. it is not the greatest but is the only quilt I ever received from a relative and I cherish it dearly.
Attached Thumbnails antique-beth-star-quilt.jpg  
Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

The dictionary definition of heirloom is "A valuable object that has belonged to a family for several generations". So when someone is saying they are making an heirloom quilt they are hoping it will be valued and passed down and preserved for generations. They are usually very intricate and showcase the best the maker is capable of. When longarm quilters refer to "heirloom" style quilting it is usually show quality quilting capable of ribboning. Considering the best of show prize for an AQS show is currently $10,000.00 I can see wanting to save the quilt to enjoy for future generations and admire the workmanship and beauty of it. The BOS prize in Paducah is usually a purchase prize which means AQS retains ownership of the quilt in exchange for the cash payout to display in the quilt museum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a masterpiece in workmanship being only admired and not used. Consider how many people have gotten joy and inspiration from the Jane Sickle (Dear Jane) quilt which was probably never used and currently on display only a few months out of the year in Bennington, Vt. Same with many fabulous antique quilts displayed in museums. They serve a purpose just as much as any quilt that is used as a bed covering/source of warmth/comfort. They inspire, motivate and pique the imagination. There is no waste in creating art for art's sake only. the artist just chose fabric and thread as their medium as opposed to canvas and paint.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 02-12-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 AM

'Heirloom quilt', as I've seen the term used most often, refers to a quilt that is special in terms of the skill/artistry/amount of work it represents, such that one can imagine it being handled with care and passed on through generations. I don't think it necessarily implies that it must be shut away and not enjoyed. Having said that, an heirloom is not necessarily something objectively valuable; the value could be sentimental, and so any quilt made by someone that was greatly loved within the family could become a family heirloom.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:03 PM

It's very interesting that there are different ideas as to what an Heirloom Quilt is. For me, I would imagine I am using the best fabrics I can and doing as nice a work as possible for a family member to receive either now or upon my passing. Hopefully such a quilt would be appreciated and used, but loved and cared for as well, in hopes of passing it on yet again some day. I wonder how long the life of a quilt is?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:51 PM

No heirs to worry about! Lol!
sandy
Old 02-12-2016, 04:02 PM

Years ago I cross stitched an afghan. My DDIL had seen it several times while I worked on it but this one time she said, "You know what you're making." I answered an afghan. Her answer, "No, you're making a family heirloom and I get it!". So it is in the eye of the beholder.