Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Are the Hottest Trends? >

What Are the Hottest Trends?

What Are the Hottest Trends?

Old 09-15-2020, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
I think using the color grey in any quilt is the going thing. I see it as a background fabric a lot in the latest quilts I have seen
If someone told me a few years ago I'd use grey fabric I would have said no way. But I love it! I'm the perfect consumer haha! Love all the new trends.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:46 PM

Not so much for me! I want my quilts to pop...then again, I have never been a fan of gray!
Old 09-17-2020, 05:08 PM

My current trend is the Accuquilt cutter and the dies with all the embroidery patterns. So much fun.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

Digital print fabric.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:06 PM
Power Poster

Quilting your own quilts.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:10 AM

tee hee....I am old....I have seen it all....what was old is now new and what was new is now old....so....I stitch what I want to and quilt it how I want to ......I do have a big stash....but some of old stuff is now new....and some of the old patterns are now the rage again....so....I do what I want.....not a rebel...just old....
Old 09-18-2020, 11:52 AM

Got to go with the Hottest Trend...is using up what I have...Bad news is that...it generally takes yet another purchase to make it all go together!
Old 09-18-2020, 02:53 PM

Referring to gray quilts:
Originally Posted by rusty quilter View Post
Not so much for me! I want my quilts to pop...then again, I have never been a fan of gray!
It's fascinating to me how different people view things quite differently. I'm very attracted to quite light gray as a background fabric with strong and bright fabrics, and to me, I feel like the brights really pop. But then, I was never wild about plain white as a background fabric; my first quilt (around 1990) was a sampler (wall hanging size), and the white seemed blah to me, and I did not like where I could see the seam allowances through it. (I was not not taught to press to the dark side on the quilt.)

I also remember being wowed the first time I saw a quilt using black for a background and jewel toned fabrics for the piecing. The woman who made it told she was sooooo tired of the calicos of the 1970s and early 1980s. Looking at her earlier quilts really showed what a big palette change she had made.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:01 AM

I really like the use of tan, or khaki as a background color. It can look both modern and rustic at the same time. I also like odd, background colors such as periwinkle, sunflower yellow, or pastel coral. It's so unexpected and adds a new dimension to a design. I see this done in a lot of antique quilts.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:01 AM

Mustard gold seems to be popping up everywhere. I remember, many years ago, I did an, "ugly fabric swap," on this board and someone sent me a mustard gold with white flower print. It was hard to use, but I still loved it and managed to get it into several quilts. It looks great with coral and turquoise...also navy blue.