Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What was I thinking?

I've been there... getting a ton of fabric for a great deal. I have made out and also been disappointed with the fabrics I received. Normally it's on the sad side though. I think my fabric tastes have changed and now I've gotten picky with what I want to keep. I hope you make out on the happy side of the fabrics - it sounds like you are which is a great thing
    You will be kept busy now!

It must be a "Linda" thing. I am a Linda that keeps purchasing fabric thinking that in a few years not so very long from now, will be retiring and will not have the flexibility of funds to keep purchasing fabric like I can now. Good for you that you found a bargain! Keep ironing. Too bad I am not close by I love to iron!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lsb142 View Post
    I found an ad on Craigslist for quilting fabric. I met the lady yesterday and picked up 5 trash bags of fabric. I paid $100 but there is easily several hundred dollars worth of fabric there. I started ironing it to put it away. I will never finish and don't know where I am going to put it. I keep telling my husband I'm collecting fabric for my retirement on a little over a year.

Linda
    Linda, You should just put the bags in the back of the closet (under the bed or behind the door), until WINTER. Your in Pittsburgh and the winters get cold, it will give you some thing to do when you don't want to get out in the cold. Just a thought. Snooks

A year ago I saw an ad on craig's list for fabric. Called immediately and was told there was quite a bit of fabric, that I could come over to see it, and that it was his mother's stash. She wanted it to go to a quilter. To prove that, I brought several finished and unfinished projects. He gave me ten garbage bags of fabric, all quilt store quality stuff, for $100 (his price). When I thanked him and was loading my truck (gleefully) he told me that I wouldn't have had to bring quilts, the strings hanging on my black pants were just like the ones always hanging on his Mom's clothes! It turns out our tastes were pretty similar and I went from a small stash of two plastic tubs to this massive stash. When I am using her fabric I always hopes she approves of what I am creating with her legacy.

I seen that ad and was wondering about it. Then I got busy in the garden and forgot. Great find!!!

You were thinking this is too good of a deal to pass up!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

LOL! I bought tons of fabric while I was still working. Now I have retired and it's wonderful to have that stash to fall back on. I say, "Get it while you can, girls. Keep on collecting!"

What a great deal! Lucky you...

I'm new at this and wondering. "what are comic book boards???

What an awesome find!! I think I'll be staking out Craig's List today lol can't wait to see some pics of your newfound stash

I too buy fabric happily because when I retire I probably won't be able to afford it. Seriously, now it's gone up to about $10.50 a yard, so in 4 years or so, think about how expensive it will then be. I should start going to garage sales now.!

I know it is overwhelming but it is a good in the long run. Maybe just sort it in stacks for now.
    Anna Quilts

I have bought trash bags full of scraps before. I personally would never iron all that fabric, it will wrinkle when you put it away. Here is my suggestion: Put some of the fabric in the dryer with a wet towel to get most of the major wrinkles out of it and then fold it up on the shelf till you use it. You were very smart to buy that fabric. I am using mine in scrap quilts and when fabric is now at least $10 a yard in a LQS, I feel very lucky. I used small pieces about 10 x 10 to make a cat quilt that turned out darling, just think of what you can make . Lucky you.

I too have bought a large quanity from a certain individual I think it took me atleast 2 weeks to wash and iron all the fabric- but in the end it was worth it.

I always refered to those retirement or someday fabrics as my "401S" for stash - still occasionally need to dip into my 401K to add to my 401S. Luckily I'm not running out of either one.

[QUOTE=lsb142;5436432]I found an ad on Craigslist for quilting fabric. I met the lady yesterday and picked up 5 trash bags of fabric. I paid $100 but there is easily several hundred dollars worth of fabric there. I started ironing it to put it away. I will never finish and don't know where I am going to put it. I keep telling my husband I'm collecting fabric for my retirement on a little over a year.

At the current prices of fabric even if you can use half of it you still got a terrific bargain for about what 9 yds of fabric would be from your quilt shop. I'm still using my stash more and more and trying not to buy what I don't need. I know fabric will probably continue to escalate but I am afraid the soaring prices are putting many people in the position of not being able to take up the hobby anymore.

It must have been exciting to see what you could find in the bags! Great bargain.
    Tippy

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by dottiequilts View Post
    When I thanked him and was loading my truck (gleefully) he told me that I wouldn't have had to bring quilts, the strings hanging on my black pants were just like the ones always hanging on his Mom's clothes!
    What a sweet comment for him to make! TFS!
    ~melrose~
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much fabric.

Blog Entries
    Keep on buying your toys BEFORE you retire. It seems that the money doesn't go as far once you retire.

Ladies, thanks for the encouragement to buy now for later. That's a real good excuse, I mean reason, to indulge.
    When a dying man asked his pastor "How long does it take to die?" his pastor's heartfelt reply was "A lifetime." Live life to the fullest, but stop now and then to enjoy the sunset.
    Lynda

You were thinking that you can never have too much fabric. And you're right! Enjoy it.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Your find and your thoughts remind me of the way I have found myself in. I clean houses in my spare time, a friend of mine told her friend about me and he called me. We set a meeting time and we went to his mothers house, She was a quilter and all around craft person. Well to make this shorter I work of fabric, she had a basement full in tubs.I called it quits today on fabric! But I have a great stash now but no time to sew.When I can I will make baby quilts for a childrens home to pratice my la skills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2