Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. .... >

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM

I wish A LOT of things would go back to "how it use to be"! I use to love going to the gas station and watching the full service guy pump the gas, check under the hood, etc.

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED getting the green stamps and added them to the book while mama put the groceries away.

Could go to the corner store with a dollar and get a sack full of candy.

and so on, I am NOT that old but old enough to remember simpler times.

Sigh.....
Old 09-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

would be cool, IF they did not treat all that fabric with pesticides, and other chemicals..that would then end up in your food!
Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 PM

As wonderful an idea as this is it just isn't possible today. Not because of money or even treated fabrics. Its because of the Crazies out there.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:29 PM

[quote=RenaB]I wish A LOT of things would go back to "how it use to be"! I use to love going to the gas station and watching the full service guy pump the gas, check under the hood, etc.quote]

When our family ( maybe about 1958 or so), went on a car trip one weekend, we stopped at a gas station that had maybe a dozen or more pumps. Several men in white! uniforms came running out. One asked Dad( the driver) how they could help, and said soda and snacks were available inside, and we were welcome to use the clean restrooms. Another had opened the hood, and was checking fluid levels. Two men were washing windows, another checked the tires. The tank was filled, we were asked not only if they could do anthing else, but was everything done to our satisfaction. Only then, the bill was presented with thanks. Now, that was service. Memories.
One of our local grocers carries flour in sacks still. a couple of dollars more than paper sacks.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

You're forgetting about the bar symbols that are needed for scanning. It would not be practical to print those on fabric because they would crack or flake off. I have noticed that you can sometimes buy big bags of rice in fabric bags. They are not very nice though.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:38 PM

I would buy it, especially if it was a pattern I remembered loving as a child in the late 1930s...cream with little red feathers on it.
I adored that dress Grandma made me from those feed sacks.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM

I imagine it is a food safety problem now. Cloth doesn't protect from all the little beasties that exist in warehouses. But I think it would be great if they did use the cloth again.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:05 PM

I imagine it is a food safety problem now. Cloth doesn't protect from all the little beasties that exist in warehouses. But I think it would be great if they did use the cloth again.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 PM

When I was cleaning out my Grandmas house after her death I found tons of little boxes that contained a towel,
they came in boxes of Breeze? detergent. And My mom told me that Dolly Partin was the spokes person.

I would love it it our dry goods came in fabric sacks.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
Remember when you could get a glass inside a box of detergent? Or even at the gas station for a fill up? How about those trading stamps that you could trade in for household goods? Yes, I'm really that old.
They still trade stamps in Germany