Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What inspires you quilt color choices.

I'm with Cutebuns. I get a pattern I like and play with different colors until it looks the way I want. I did a sampler once in burnt red, navy on off white. Although not many colors, it was dramatic because it was a king size with double batting, handquilted.

I love bright true colors. Recently Mexico folk fabrics have gotten my attention. I also love earthly greens, blues, and purples together. I agree that the more different fabrics in a quilt make it more interesting and fun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by farscapegal
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    i've always been drawn to color. if things aren't colorful i actually feel like my retina is hurting.

i take my color ques from nature and when i studied natural surroundings i discovered that all colors go together and its value and tone that makes them play well with each other.
    It is always about values and tone for me. The color is secondary.

Sybil

so glad you posted this, I said the same thing! :D :D Color is not my first worry. Do I have enough darks? and so forth: I've tried the other way, but my brain just doesn't function that way anymore! :wink:

Ninnie, I've learned to think outside the box and my brain is wired up differently. The more colors, the more problems I run into, so less is more for me. I so enjoy seeing quilts done by others and the colors they use.

I love bright colors and also prefer needleturn applique. I just see something and then try do make do with what fabrics I have, and I have quite a bit of fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemjo
    I look for a focus fabric and coordinate with it. Then when I am in among the fabrics, whatever catches my eye is what I NEED at the moment, which I why I am limiting my trips to the LQS until I find a place to put what I already have! :?
    Oh! I'm surprised to see Shemjo's name on this. I thought I had written this one. :lol:

I do the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2