Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of quilter are you?

Quote Originally Posted by kat13
    Here is a site that really helped me with FMQ and so much fun to watch the videos and practice, practice, practice! Good luck.
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com
    Kat13....I love this site, but it frustrated me since my feeddogs don't drop. But I've tried some of her straight lines. Someday I hope I can do more.

I have always straight line quilted my quilts- sometimes diagonally one way, and then across the other for diamonds, or squares, or just SITD, which I actually only started doing in the last year. I've been quilting for 24 years, can you tell I don't change quickly?

I really cheat and I've never seen it mentioned in the forum. I've been using borders and blocks made easy, They have the quilting pattern on paper, adhere to the fabric then you follow the lines and tear the paper away. It's a pain to get all of the paper out of the stitches but it is much better than I can do freehand at this point. I get my patterns on ebay simply called 'Boarders or Blocks Made Easy". Is it such a lousy method that no one has mentions it here? It works for me,although my stitches are pretty uneven with practice that should get better.

I did free motion quilts on my sewing machine before I got my mega quilter and frame and they were always king size or queen size - no matter what size they start out to be they always seem to get bigger and my family likes they big....
    I found it was easier for me to put my little machine on a coffee table at one end and the quilt on the other - sometimes I would try to roll it but they always seem to have a mind of their own - so, I just kept fm until they were done - I know that mine won't ever be in a show or be a show piece but the people who get them love them just the same.....I could not sew in a straight line even if I wanted too.... and have trouble with my hands and having adult ada I would never finish a hand quilting quilt...

I've had all those same thoughts. When I learned to quilt, I was told I had no choice but to send my quilts to a long-arm quilter. Either that or tie all of them. Of course, tying would spoil certain designs. Recently though, I tried fmq and was surprised at how much less difficult it was than I expected it to be. I have a wireless internet connection, and so I just sat with my laptop next to my sewing machine and did some of Leah Day's designs. I watched the tutorial, and then did what she did. Sometimes I could copy her, and sometimes I couldn't. But even if it didn't look like hers, it didn't look half bad. So I'm getting bolder now. If you can relax, and not expect perfection right off the bat, you can do it. Really. Downy quilts are a good way to practice too. I'm getting ready to practice a design on my 4th Downy quilts, and if it works out, I'll move on to a quilt that is waiting on me.

Quote Originally Posted by jfowles
    I really cheat and I've never seen it mentioned in the forum. I've been using borders and blocks made easy, They have the quilting pattern on paper, adhere to the fabric then you follow the lines and tear the paper away. It's a pain to get all of the paper out of the stitches but it is much better than I can do freehand at this point. I get my patterns on ebay simply called 'Boarders or Blocks Made Easy". Is it such a lousy method that no one has mentions it here? It works for me,although my stitches are pretty uneven with practice that should get better.
    I don't think this is cheating - I do it, too. Called it "borders by the roll" or something similar in a previous post.

Also, I have heard that it is helpful to move a card table or something else behind the table you are using to increase the surface that the quilt lays on as you quilt it. I don't have the room, so I use my ironing board if necessary to relieve some of the weight.

Hey I read somewhere...probly on this site, that you can put a recipe card over the feed dogs if they don't drop down, probly would have to tape it over them. worth a try?
    Kat

Quote Originally Posted by klgreene
    Quote Originally Posted by kat13
    Here is a site that really helped me with FMQ and so much fun to watch the videos and practice, practice, practice! Good luck.
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com
    Kat13....I love this site, but it frustrated me since my feeddogs don't drop. But I've tried some of her straight lines. Someday I hope I can do more.
    My feed dogs want drop either but I was able to find a plate to attach and it really helps. Go online to your machine mfg and maybe you can find something that will work.

Gail

What is straight line quilting? I have a medium arm quilt machine and I would like to know. Have never made a full size quilt on the machine.

Like some of the others I have done the SID. I recently did one that I tried some FM on different parts and like the one said it looked pathetic. I then got one of the patterns that you trace on or dust it with chalk. I lowered my feeddogs and went to town. I was really pleased with the results. I have decided that I can't do anything without some sort of pattern. It may be that I will have to draw with the wash away pens and follow my own design.

I'm with the "can't fm to save my life" group. I can get the fabric to move ok, but I just can't seem to make that meander stitch look right - it's a mess and then I would have ruined what took so long to piece. I wish I COULD do some of the quilting by machine, maybe I could get something done then!! How do you figure out how to "fit" a meander stitch into one spot then move to another?

Quote Originally Posted by pinebeltquilter
    What is straight line quilting? I have a medium arm quilt machine and I would like to know. Have never made a full size quilt on the machine.
    I not positive, but I think she's talking about quilting in a grid. Corner to corner for a diagonal grid, or top to bottom, and side to side?

Also, I saw someone who had done irregular lines like you might do on an etch-a-sketch. Depending on the quilt, it doesn't look bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    I've always wanted to make a quilt. I did take a free motion class and working on a scrap was great. Big quilt...not so great, at least fun-wise. I can't seem to do free motion quilting unless I hold me breath and keep a death grip on the fabric. It just makes me so tense that I cannot keep at it very long and quilting is then not fun. I cannot afford to send tops out to a long arm quilter. Besides that, I want to be able to say I made it completely myself. So I always stuck with small wall hanging, pillows, potholder projects. Then I came across this quilting board and although all the free motion quilting designs look awesome, the straight line quilting is what has caught my attention and spoken to me telling me that straight line quilting is fine and looks as good as swirls and other free motion designs. Why didn't I figure this out 25 years ago?! Why did I think quilting had to be a fancy design? As always, better to learn late than never at all. I'm working on my second real quilt and happily I'm straight line quilting and trying to dream up my next quilt design. I have always thought quilts were more about the design and the fabric than the stitching design on top. I am a straight line quilter. What kind of quilter are you?
    Have you ever seen the 'quilt as you go' method? Georgia Bonesteel wrote some books about it, with patterns that your library might have copies of. It breaks even monster size quilts into manageable units. You quilt sections, then put them together , and quilt along where the joins are. Huge quilts, and small quilts can be done this way. Good luck. :thumbup:

Don't know if this will help but I found a site called www.daystyledesign.com she has lots of videos on fmq and how to set up your regular sewing machine I have found a lot of information on her site that has answered a lot of questions about speed control, hand and quilt control plus why I get buildup thread on the back of my fmqs.
    retiac

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe03
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Have you done any hand quilting??? That is my quilting of choice but I'm learning how to machine quilt so I can get more quilts done :)
    I try not to hand stitch anything except binding to the back of a quilted project. I do not like hand sewing.
    lol to put it mildly if it need hand sewed it will prob sit there for eternity! my hand sewing to ummm put it nicely SUCKS! I wish i would have paid a little more attention to my mother when she tried to teach me. darn where is that time machine when i need it!

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Freeze - who not make up a sandwich of some extra fabric - either leftover from something else or some "what was I thinking when I bought this?" fabric and some batting. Pin-baste it and use it as a practice piece to learn free-motion quilting. Like everything else, it takes doing something over & over to master a skill. I am not nearly as good as I would like to be, but I don't let it bother me - I just keep on "practicing." I took several machine quilting classes. I learned something (lots of somethings) each time. In 2 of the workshops, we needed to make this sandwich using 1 yard of 2 fabrics & batting. We were to divide this sandwich up into 4 rows of 4 squares each. We were to use SILK thread - love that silk! - In each square we were shown a different filler pattern and were to fill the square with that one. It's amazing how much better I was after just that 1 class. Try it a few times - you just might start to get the hang of it. Who knows.

Kathy

What kind of quilter am I ?

A good one, I hope.

take a piece about 1 yard square, and sandwich it and just play with it. Make vines, and squiggles, and stipple, and meander and just have fun. You can then add a binding to it for a table runner, a dresser scarf, or a candle matt. You will be suprised how happy you are with it when you get the whole thing covered with "PLAY" stitching. It will really help build your confidence. Beleve me, If I can do it, anybody can

Quote Originally Posted by bigsister63
    I do both SID and FMQ. I use SID to anchor my top down and then do FMQ in larger squares and borders. PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! and then press the pedal to the metal go for it. TRy FMQ on small projects and then graduate to larger. I find that FMQ is really quicker and easier after you get the hang of it especially if you meander. Just remenber to keep the quilting distance recommended by the batting manufacturer. This is also true if you SID . Good luck and Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!
    I agree practice practice practice. Have been following a blog by Leah Day and find it fun practicing her designs, now have the confidence to try bigger things and am just about to finish my third baby quilt and really enjoying it too. Have a look at 365 days of free motion quilting, you can just google it and it will come up. Always used to hand piece and quilt everything but running out of time now. Have made a rule for myself, handpieced quilt are handquilted, machinepieced are machine quilted. Works for me and I actually get some finished as there are so many waiting. Still enjoy handwork most but leave that for the evenings.
    Happy quilting every one! :thumbup:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I want to learn it all, so I don't know what kind I am. God bless.

I'm an addicted hand quilter and I quilt all kinds of patterns: straight line, motifs, borders, Backgrounds...I love them all. And I also do "free hand motion quilting", too!

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I'm an addicted hand quilter and I quilt all kinds of patterns: straight line, motifs, borders, Backgrounds...I love them all. And I also do "free hand motion quilting", too!
    Just had a look at your gallerie. What beautiful hand quilting, you must have great eyesight. :thumbup:

Thank you for your nice comment! I'm very short-sighted and I need my glasses for nearly everything. For quilting I have special glasses, normally used for working at the computer. They work fine for me! Good light (the best is natural daylight) important also.

I am mostly a hand quilter, but have recently purchased a mid-arm and frame. I do some easy, fast quilts on that... baby quilts, wall hangings, table runners, etc. But for important projects, I stick to hand quilting.

As for machine quilting, I did have a problem with holding my breath and getting dizzy, but over time it went away. Meandering is more relaxing and helped me get over that.

I've been hand quilting since 1975 and have taught across the country. Maybe it's because I've been doing it so long that it's my favorite. I've noticed lately that there are fewer and fewer hand-quilted quilts in quilt shows, and that makes me sad!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    What kind of quilter am I ?

A good one, I hope.
    :thumbup:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast