Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of quilts do you like to make? >

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

What kind of quilts do you like to make?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM

As a designer I am at a loss right now. I go out of my way to design things that no one has ever seen before and I am always amazed when I open a brand new magazine and see square in a square quilts again and again! New fabric lines or different sizes don't make it a new design. Who needs a pattern for this? Unless you started quilting today its not that difficult.

Am I missing something? Is this what quilters want?

I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
Sue
Old 07-25-2011, 02:35 PM

I am a fairly new quilter, and the simple patterns can be less daunting to a newbie. Having not grown up around quilting (or sewing) some of the very basic squares are foreign to me... (it is so funny when you realize how easy a pattern/square really is once you know how it goes together). That being said, I think the more difficult/original patterns have their place as well. I cant wait to be able to make some!! :) Keep up the great work of designing!!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM

To me, quilting is not about the design as it is in creating something that is new to me, pleasing to me, or something I see that I know someone would just love. Magazines often rehash the same blocks because in a different color pattern they look like something all together new.

I quilt because I am under tremendous stress at work, work in a horribly stressful place, and several of my family members have been diagnosed or have died in the last couple months of some sort of cancer.

So quilting for me is not about reinventing the wheel, but learning that the wheels that you designers make are pretty great methods of relaxing and escaping stress for a couple hours each night.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Sue I think it's a very delicate balance. Most of the folks who buy the magizines are probaly newer quilters according to the numbers. And these newer quilters want to see quilts that they themselves can make.

I know there are tons in the magizine that are not my style or skill level. And I really like seeing ones I know I can do.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:41 PM

What I'd LIKE to make are realistic looking ones of, say, the (Redwood) forest, N Cal coast, and other things that interest me, but lack the talent in sewing and picking colors.

For my dubious talent in even sewing a straight line, even with the 1/4" foot, things with straight lines and colors I like, get my attention.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Banned

don't despair...the magazines are made to SELL...the quicker the project, the better the chances are of the magazine selling!
Magazines are also geared toward the NEW/younger, sewer/quilter...NOT towards anyone who has been at it for more than 2 years...and after 10 years..well...we have seen it all, done it all and know that we won't make anything out of a magazine anyway..hehehe
so the magazines audience has to be the NEW person...no matter how many rail fences and ohio stars they have to publish...
Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

most magazines try to offer patterns for beginners as well as more advanced- and beginners kind of need the basics--it helps them realize how different a block can look with just a color change- or different layout-
and you would be surprised at how many quilters are out there that see a quilt pattern---and will not make it unless they can make it EXACTLY like the one they saw---
happens alot-
i used to work for a shop owner- she was one of those people-
every store sample had to be the exact fabric- the exact everything as the one in the book---period---there was no (creative license) ever---
she would even expect the quilting to be exactly the same- and if you failed at that...well the sample stayed in the back room- not out in the shop-
as soon as the fabrics were no longer available- neither was the pattern- and the sample would disappear-
i thought this was so...strange- being someone who has always liked to pick my own fabrics- my own layouts---
if we visited benartex- and there was a new pattern for a new fabric line- we had to make that pattern- we were never allowed to use the fabric for something else---
(and she has been in business for something like 26 years!

i am always looking for new fresh designs- techniques-
maybe the part of me that is so...a.d.d. is due to my time working within her restrictions---now i seldom follow a pattern- seldom follow someone elses plan-
i always look to learn new techniques- but when is look at a piece of fabric i see (my quilt) not the same one in all of this month's magazines.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM

There is a new idea for you...start a magazine for advanced designer quilters! Or maybe start with a blog and share your ideas or sell them. Be the next Eleanor Burns of designer quilts!

I would read them...don't know if I would do them yet, but I can always try!
Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by LisaGibbs
I quilt because I am under tremendous stress at work, work in a horribly stressful place, and several of my family members have been diagnosed or have died in the last couple months of some sort of cancer.

So quilting for me is not about reinventing the wheel, but learning that the wheels that you designers make are pretty great methods of relaxing and escaping stress for a couple hours each night.
Me too!! It is the perfect de-stresser! Even when I am stressing about ripping out a seam the 3rd time, its a good stress. :)
Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Different people want different things. My take is that years ago, the pieced pattern was really the 'star', because the fabric selection was much smaller. A complex pattern was the way to go. This, however, limited the number of quilters due to the complexity of the patterns. Now there are gorgeous fabrics with larger motifs. You see posts all the time about folks hesitant to cut into such beautiful material, so now there are lots of patterns out there with large pieces to showcase the fabric. I also think that the beautiful fabric and large selection attracts newer quilters who are looking for a quick project. Some will only make one quilt, some will continue with quick patterns and some will seek out unique, complex works of art. All the quilters get a sense of satisfaction from completing a project, no matter which pattern they use.