Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What kind of starch/sizing do you like to use?

I usually use the Magic sizing. Doesn't flake,which is good. As an end result, its much easier to use.

I like Magic Sizing. However my store was out so I just purchased a can of Niagra to give it a try.

I use Mary Ellen's.

I use Best Press, exclusively, and recommend it in my classes at my lqs. JoAnn's recently had it online for $29.95 for a gallon. A couple of years ago, I got a gallon for $50.00 and thought it was a bargain.

Blog Entries
    What proportions do you use to mix the cornstarch and water?

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I do use Best Press. I used to buy the ittle bottles for 7.95, then I went online to her site and bought a gallon for around 45.00 and it was like getting 3 bottles free. Then while at my LQS they had the 14.95 bottles to refill with. I have to have it no matter what so I buy on sale when I can. Because it is a little high I use it for only quilting and use NIagra Sizing for regular. Doesn't gum up or leave flakes. You can also go in with a friend and buy direct from Mary Ellen and you both save money.
    Or you can get it online at Joanns with a 50% off coupon. That's what I did.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    I wonder why she uses boiling water? I may have to try that to see if there is a difference. I use one tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in 2 cups of cold water. Then I pour it in a spray bottle. It dissolves fines, but I still have to shake it if I let it sit for awhile.
    The boiling water probably helps the mixture last longer (prevents mold from setting in so soon).

I like Mary Ellens Best Press as well. It's a lot cheaper if you buy it in the gallon size. You can order it on line that way or have you LQS order it for you. Then all you need is a funnel to pour it into your handy small sprayer. For the person who complained of alergies, it is available unscented which is how I prefer to use it.

I love MaryEllen's Best Press. there is one that is unscented if you are sensitive to the fragrance.
    Also the larger sizes are much more economical, and then refill your sprayer. I have watered it down a bit to get it to last longer and it still does a fine job.

I read over the directions and it says "pump spray". Is there a difference with that or will a trigger spray bottle work? Or can I clean and recycle a pump bottle from another use?

i think you can use any spray bottle which is clean - just set it for mist rather than "stream". they often sell empty bottles in home supply stores (such as home depot) or in drug stores.

I also use Best Press, but Magic Sizing is my favorite. Never use starch.

I like Mary Ellen's Best Press too, I buy it on-line from JoAnn's in the gallon size using a 50% off coupon, otherwise I couldn't afford it either, but at 50% off, it's affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by no1jan
    I like Best Press, but it doesn't like me. Every time I use it I have trouble breathing and start coughing. That is the reason I bought it in the first place as it wasn't aerosal.

I does work, but I think I have to get a mask to put on when I use it.
    I had the same problem with Best Press, and have had to stop using it for the most part.

I now use Faultless Heavy Starch in Fresh Lavender Scent. It's less than $2 and recommended by Harriet Hargrave. In her book "Quilter's Academy Volume 1.." she says, "Our favorite is Faultless Heavy Spray Starch. It seems to add the most crispness without flaking or scorching."

It does an excellent job without using too much and it does not bother my lungs. A win-win! :thumbup:

Where do you get this?

Are any of these liquid starches available in Canada? In the last couple of months, I bet I've checked at least 10 grocery stores including Walmart and the only starch that I've found is Easy On Spray starch in a blue can at $2.49 in a grocery store right near the army base. I guess they have to starch and press their dress uniforms. I can buy Best Press at $9.99 for a small bottle. We have a Mennonite grocery store about 30 miles away and when I asked there she asked me if I wanted to iron my husband's go to the meeting shirt or bake cookies? They usually have starch but were out. I guess I'll keep trying.

I really like Mary Ellen's Best Press as well. I just have to use unscented as I'm allergic to most fragrances so hesitant to try any of their scented versions.

Cheers, K

Quote Originally Posted by Crickett Sweet
    Where do you get this?
    If you're asking about the Faultless Heavy Starch, I got mine at WalMart. It's probably available at most grocery stores, some hardware and building improvement stores and I just saw it on Google at the Dollar Tree for only ONE DOLLAR for a 22 oz can. Best price I've seen yet. You can even order it by the case lot of 12 cans for $12.

I would hesitate on using cornstarch as it could attrack bugs and things that could eat into your fabric.
    I wash all my fabric, then store it until ready for use. I then will use starch only if the fabric does not have body to it. Niagra is good. Mary Ellen's is good but pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingladydi
    You can make your own starch with cornstarch from the grocery store. Yep, the same stuff you use in the kitchen to thicken sauces or gravy. Just mix up and put in a spray bottle. The only downside is you have to store in frig (because you aren't putting any preservatives in it)and if I don't use up, I mix a new batch weekly.

But it is dirt cheap!!
    what kind of ratio's do yo use sewinglady? 1/2 and 1/2 of what :?:

Hi Guys,

I have never heard of powdered starch.... I have only ever seen and used spray.... can somebody explain how I use powdered starch.

Hugs

Caroline

I make my own pressing spray that compares to MaryEllen's pressing spray..

2 cups of distilled water
    2 oz VODKA
    1 or 2 TBSP liquid starch
    a few drops of essential oils (I like lavandar)
    Mix in a spray bottle and enjoy the fragrance while pressing.

Hey Craftybear, where do you look for the Lavender scented starch? In the fabric area or the food area with the soaps etc.?

Mary Ellen's gets my vote.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    Are any of these liquid starches available in Canada? In the last couple of months, I bet I've checked at least 10 grocery stores including Walmart and the only starch that I've found is Easy On Spray starch in a blue can at $2.49 in a grocery store right near the army base. I guess they have to starch and press their dress uniforms. I can buy Best Press at $9.99 for a small bottle. We have a Mennonite grocery store about 30 miles away and when I asked there she asked me if I wanted to iron my husband's go to the meeting shirt or bake cookies? They usually have starch but were out. I guess I'll keep trying.
    Actually, I think most of the powdered laundry starches are just cornstarch -- the same stuff you use for cooking. I just Googled because I have always wondered if there was a different old-fashioned powdered starch than the cornstarch recipes that people have posted. Found Argo and Peal powdered laundry starches, and it looks to me as if they are just powdered cornstarch in a larger box or bag.

As I mentioned before, I buy Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch in a blue quart jug. I just went upstairs and pulled my jug to look at the contents: water, corn starch, borax, processing aids, preservative, ironing aid, perfume. So, even the commercial liquid starch is primarily corn starch!

As others have mentioned, there are other forms of starch too. One website even gave directions on how to make potato starch. You start by peeling the potato!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast