Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kind of thread to use? >

What kind of thread to use?

What kind of thread to use?

Old 09-05-2011, 01:28 PM

I am wondering...what kind of thread you use for FMG, by hand or SITD - 100% cotton, cotton poly, quilting thread ( that feels more heavy duty to me), and why?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Hand quilting thread is used for hand quilting. It is glazed so it glides through the layers better. It cannot be used in a machine.

I don't machine quilt so can't help you there.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Quilt with whatever you want! But don't put glazed hand quilting thread in a machine, it'll damage the tension discs. Don't use fragile (old, cheap) thread on a quilt that will be used and washed. And consider colorfastness, melting temp, thickness, etc when determining which thread is suitable for your project.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 AM

There are many choices! The only wrong choice I can think of is Hand Quilting thread. Basically it comes down to what you like and what works well in your machine. I love Aurifil and Wonderfil threads. I also use Guttermann, Sulky Blendables, YLI. As for how to choose...first I go by color. I love variegated threads and shop by color first, then see what brand has a suitable color for my project. Most of the time, it's Aurifil and Wonderfil for me.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Superior - either Masterpiece or King Tut, occasionally Aurifil and YLI 60 wt. Why? Because it's quality thread and I and my machine work better with it than cheap threads. ;)
Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 AM

I use Aurfil and sometimes the Superior thread. Coat and clarks throws too much lint for my liking. Now that I have a variety of threads, I just go with what I like for the project.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:36 AM

I agree with everyone, hand quilting threads are glazed or coated and could gum up your machine. Use a good quality thread and you won't have any problems at all. If you don't want to see your SID quilting use a clear mono filament thread or a 60 wt polyester.
Ricci
Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 AM

So far on all three of my machines Ive had the best luck with good ol Coats and Clarks.
Just set up my strait stitch machine for long arm free motion. Tried several threads, Connecting Threads just kept breaking. Got Coats and Clarks machine quilting thread and it works perfect.
I also have a cheap Brother and a Viking Sapphire and they both like Coats and Clarks the best. Not the cheap kind that Walmart carries but the kind with the snap up top.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 AM

I love almost all threads for FMQ - from poly serger thread to 30wt cotton to 3-ply embroidery thread. Old Coats and Clark, ThreadArt, Superior Threads, Connecting Threads, Dual Duty, Star Cotton - love 'em all. :)

I just started learning to hand quilt using a Barnett lap hoop and the "Aunt Becky" method and I bought some Americana glazed hand quilting thread for that - I really like that stuff, but I don't have anything to compare it to other than the Dual Duty I used years ago and that was fine, too.

Try lots of stuff for FMQ and see what you like to work with. :)
Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 AM

oops.... double-post! :oops: