Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What pattern do I use???

What pattern do I use???

I am planning on making a quilt for my 10 year old grandson and his color selection was red and black. Any suggestions on patterns? I am kinda leaning toward "Yellow Brick Road" or "Bento Box". I have never made a YBR pattern but it really will let me use scraps of red and black (which I have already dug out of my stash). I am always trusting everyone on this QB-they always come thru for me on anything I ask.
    My 6 year old granddaughter (his sister) likes pink and purple so I am good with those colors and will make a "hugs and kisses" quilt for her. I think it is an Eleanor Burns pattern. I don't get to see these two grandchildren very often so want to make it special for them.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas. You all are great.
    Lorraine (Jordan)

You can't go wrong with Yellow Brick Road. I have made several, each with different colors and ALL turned out beautiful. It is a great "go to" pattern.

I like the idea of the Bento Box. Are you using patterns as well or just solid fabrics. When you look at images of black and red quilts most of them have lighter shades in them as well. But there are a couple quite striking ones in solid colours. https://www.google.ca/search?q=red+a...Q&ved=0CBwQsAQ

Blog Entries
    I like Bento Box but also take a peek at BQ from mapleislandquilts , they use 10 inch squares if you have good fabric prints you hate to cut up too small.

I made a black, gray, red and white quilt for my nephew I still need to bind it I am not in love with the quilting I chose but I really like everything else about it. Sorry not the best picture but most of the pattern is visible I still need to trim and bind it its on the list hahaha

The pattern is holiday cheer by cozy quilt shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billi; 12-30-2014 at 09:51 AM.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Thank you all for your tribute of ideas. My scraps are all patterned-no solids. I very rarely use solids. Thank you Billi for the picture of your beautiful quilt. This gives me more ideas and now I am overwhelmed. LOL

Love it! Great idea.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

There's a pattern for a quilt by Chloe Anderson in Quilt Almanic...2012...called a play mat It has a center motif of a truck and multiple strips surrounding it , useful for him to use as "roads" for his toy trucks, and borders of blocks that are simple truck designs. I think a one year old would love this.

I don't care for Yellow brick road but do like Bento box. You might also look at
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/strip-twist.html
    It calls for lights and darks but you can easily use a red group and a black group. It whips up super fast and has a nice secondary pattern going tying it all together. I miss that with Yellow Brick road.
    Have fun! I would love to see pictures when you are done.
    Anna Quilts

Scroll down this page. There is a red and black plaid quilt. Looks simple enough and quite striking. https://carterquilter.wordpress.com/...quilt-pattern/
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Quote Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
    Scroll down this page. There is a red and black plaid quilt. Looks simple enough and quite striking. https://carterquilter.wordpress.com/...quilt-pattern/
    I was taken with that one, too. It's the fabric selection that makes it special, I think, and looking like a warm, rich plaid. I think it would lose its appeal in scrappy. The one with the golf fabric, amazingly in the same pattern, looked awful, IMO.

hugs,
    Charlotte