Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilt block do you hate to make? >

What quilt block do you hate to make?

What quilt block do you hate to make?

Old 11-28-2020, 04:10 AM

I tried a simple thread spool block yesterday....can't get the points on the spool to match the thread portion of the blocks. Have 32 "threads" cut, just need to find a way to get the spool tops and bottoms to match up. Right now, this is the block I hate to make!
Old 11-28-2020, 04:45 AM

I am so surprised the no one has mentioned my most despised block, flying geese. Yup, tried all the different methods and none work for me. I made one quilt that was all FG only because it was a labor of love. I don't love many others enough to go that way again. I have quilting buddies that whip those little blocks out perfectly in no time flat, but mine are always crooked and seldom fly in good geese formation.

It is interesting what blocks cause us to stumble or at least pause. I love square in a square and bias binding is easy peasy and I can spin points in my sleep, I haven't tried curves because I am scared. That is silly, I know. I leaned to put in smooth fitted sleeves in a garment when I was a teenager, why not a curve in a quilt block?

This all is a quick indication that we are unique individuals.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 11-28-2020 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 05:39 AM

Anything I can piece, I will happily do - paper piecing and applique are not my thing.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Synnove View Post
Sunbonnet Sue. Ugh. Not sure if anyone even makes that one anymore. I love applique, but that one's too cutesy for me.
I have made a few Sunbonnet Sue quilts. I love the girlie-ness of her!
Old 11-28-2020, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

I love Sun Bonnet Sue. I made a baby quilt with her for my first Great Granddaughter 13 years ago.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:17 PM

For me. Double Wedding Ring -- Old style. Every piece had to be sewed before it was fitted to the center. Ugh!! Momma made about 15 in 3 months but she invented (I think) the assembly-line quilt. Did all the little pieces into the shape needed and then attached to the large piece Then sewed the pieces together Ugh!!
Sunbonnet Sue I can Handle on a sheet and pillow cases but don't like doing the block quilts. Also do the Dapper Dan on sheets and pillow cases.

I actually love to do mostly embroidery quilts on solid background. I have 2 cats that like to help me, I do do some piecing but with these cats.....
Old 11-30-2020, 05:52 PM

I haven't found a block I despise yet, but I am confident I would hate paper piecing!
Old 11-30-2020, 06:17 PM

I am not a fan of small pieces in a quilt, so I just don't choose patterns with them. Drunkard's Path - no problem - maybe because of my years of apparel sewing. Flying Geese - got boring doing enough for a quilt border, but it was the right one for a hunter's quilt. Double wedding ring - no, thank you.
Small HSTs scare me - I don't know why - maybe because I have trim my HSTs and that would be a lot of trimming. I looked the cutting directions for this year's Merry Mayhem and got stuck there.
Interesting question, Julie.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:12 AM

The circle kaleidoscope in a square background is the main block I used. (I didn't even know it was called a block until I found this board.) Haven't made a block I disliked, but I'm new to this.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:37 AM

For me, it's the big, modern blocks. I would like the graphic quality on a wall quilt, maybe, but for the throw size I usually make, it feels like shouting.

I am also part the group that finds the "square in a square" block to be fiddly and teeth-grinding.

hugs,
charlotte

Last edited by charlottequilts; 12-01-2020 at 11:42 AM.