Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting items do you buy when traveling? >

What quilting items do you buy when traveling?

What quilting items do you buy when traveling?

Old 06-23-2012, 09:29 AM

I buy local patterns, look at what's popular in the classes, and I buy a FQ at each shop while on vacation and then make a vacation quilt. Even of I can buy the fabric elsewhere I buy it so that I have momentos from my trip.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 AM

Well, since I live in Canada, I tend to buy things like batting when I'm in the States since it's so much cheaper there. I do try to support my LQS, but sometimes there are such good deals on fabric that I can't resist!
Old 06-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I buy a quilt kit that reminds me of the area. This way I remember the trip whenever I use the quilt. Before internet, the local shops had items that were new and different to visitors. No so now. Everything new and distinct is available to everyone. I always buy a notion or quilt item for my sew buddies too.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I've had great fun searching for new and unusual bug fabrics when I was getting ready for an Bug Jar quilt. My next search will be for a Candy Jar quilt. You might have fun searching for something similar.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 PM

We too plot out the local quilt shops when we are traveling somewhere. I usually only buy if it is a fabric that my favorite LQS doesn't have. When we were in Tennessee earlier this year, we found several LQS to go to. I always buy at least a FQ or 2 in each shop. There was one shop in particular that we spent an extended amount of time in. It was a very small shop but had a wonderful selection of fabrics. The owner and her husband (who was the fabric cutter by the way) were so pleasant that we felt like we had known them forever. I found several fabrics to purchase and she had a shop sample of a quilt she had made that I fell in love with. She let me take pictures of the quilt and helped me find all the fabrics, and even gave me a little discount. She even gave me the pattern for FREE!

The beginning of this month, we took a trip to Michigan to go camping and see family. We found a few LQS and checked them out. At one of the shops, again a small one, the owner was so friendly and talkative that I did purchase several fabrics from her and spent a couple hours browsing and chatting. The 2nd shop we went to, even smaller than the first, had 3 people standing at their counter and didn't even acknowledge us until I needed something cut. I bought a yard of fabric and 2 FQs there.

Sometimes, when I'm on vacation, I just don't feel like LQS shopping. It happens but rest assured the feeling always passes!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:00 PM

my dh does the same w me when we travel. sometimes i will ck out a lqs, but for the most part, their stock varies so little from home that i look for kits or tools. shopping to make my guy happy. akes me happy! lollol
Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 PM

My DH and I have visited Alaska several times. They have some lovely quilt shops along the cruise ship run. I always ask about quilt kits by local quilters or artists. I've purchased some really beautiful patterns with blocks of local Native American markings and totems. As for fabric, I've purchased fat quarters of local flowers. Bright purple and fuscia, but I can't remember their names.

We cruise a lot, and I soon got tired of touristy souvenirs, so sometimes I'll just buy an inexpensive t-shirt with a local theme in each city we visit and I make a t-shirt quilt to remind me of the trip when I get home. I bring along one of those vaccuum bags and once I push the air out I can pack a dozen t-shirts in a sliver of space in my suitcase.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:38 PM

I usually only buy patterns and fabric when I travel. I look for fabric that I haven't seen before or that will remind me of the area I'm in. Same with patterns. I bought a couple great ones in Sedona AZ by a local designer. Same in Cape Cod. I don't want to haul back stuff I could get at home but always find some things that are new to me.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
We too plot out the local quilt shops when we are traveling somewhere. I usually only buy if it is a fabric that my favorite LQS doesn't have. When we were in Tennessee earlier this year, we found several LQS to go to. I always buy at least a FQ or 2 in each shop. There was one shop in particular that we spent an extended amount of time in. It was a very small shop but had a wonderful selection of fabrics. The owner and her husband (who was the fabric cutter by the way) were so pleasant that we felt like we had known them forever. I found several fabrics to purchase and she had a shop sample of a quilt she had made that I fell in love with. She let me take pictures of the quilt and helped me find all the fabrics, and even gave me a little discount. She even gave me the pattern for FREE!

The beginning of this month, we took a trip to Michigan to go camping and see family. We found a few LQS and checked them out. At one of the shops, again a small one, the owner was so friendly and talkative that I did purchase several fabrics from her and spent a couple hours browsing and chatting. The 2nd shop we went to, even smaller than the first, had 3 people standing at their counter and didn't even acknowledge us until I needed something cut. I bought a yard of fabric and 2 FQs there.

Sometimes, when I'm on vacation, I just don't feel like LQS shopping. It happens but rest assured the feeling always passes!

Was the store in TN by chance "Mountain Stitches by Susan" in Gatlinburg? Love that place. My mom and I visit it every year on our annual pilgrimage to Mountain Quiltfest. I know her husband cuts and folds fat quarters for her. She has a beautiful selection.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Fabric is my souvenir of choice. My hubby and I went on a cruise to Southeastern Alaska, and I found great local fabric. There is a quilt store in Sitka called Abby's Reflections (She has a website) where I got a piece that was actually designed for Sitka. It has all local attractions on it. You can order from her website.