Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilting pattern do you all use for OBW quilts? >

What quilting pattern do you all use for OBW quilts?

What quilting pattern do you all use for OBW quilts?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:41 AM

Default What quilting pattern do you all use for OBW quilts?

Hi all. I'm working on a OBW and am getting closer to having the top done and ready for quilting. I like to think ahead so I don't get bogged down but I'm kind of clueless about a quilting pattern for it. With all the hexigons and triangles..... well, is stitch in the ditch the only thing to do? I'm not very excited about stitch in the ditch. I like to have my quilting showcase the blocks. But this quilt design seems to hinder that. I'm going to FMQ it with my machine. Does anyone have an idea or two for me? Thanks.

ps... I'm having to add a rather large border... 15 inches wide.... and will probably applique something there. This is my first OBW and it's been kinda frustrating.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

There is usually so much going on with these that your quilting isn't going to show up a whole lot. I usually just do a meander, and try to hit, or get really close to the center of the hexagons to keep them flat. I have also seen orange peel done in the triangles, but to me that's a whole lot of work that doesn't show much. Probably because need a template for this. If you can freehand it, might not be too bad. I would save my detailed quilting for your border.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-20-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:14 AM

I swing out from the corner and go back to the corner, ziq zagging up and back both sides of the seam. If you do them all it looks sort of like a daisy where all the points merge. I use fmq foot so a go back and forward for each seam. Does that make sense?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

BuzzinBumble posted a whole bunch of quilting ideas under the post title....Sharing Templates for Quilting One Block Wonder Quilts. Search there and see if any of them will work for you.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Here's the link to the post that Tartan mentioned - http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t130422.html

As others have said, you probably won't see the quilting much and don't want it to detract from the design of the OBW.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanks, everyone. I like the idea of orange peel from corner to corner.... I'm not sure I understand the zigzag suggestion. I did check out the link but it is difficult to see how the quilting looks on a finished OBW. The pattern in the fabric tends to hide it. So, you have given me some ideas..... so I can work on getting it to that stage now. I tend to design as I go.... sometimes that's a challenge.