Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What scissors do you keep at your machine to snip threads, etc? >

What scissors do you keep at your machine to snip threads, etc?

What scissors do you keep at your machine to snip threads, etc?

Old 09-07-2017, 03:22 AM

Please don't make me count how many scissors I have?? I use a small pair of Fiskars usually, but as time goes on, I wind up with several on my cutting mat and ironing board and none by my machine lol
Old 09-07-2017, 04:31 AM

I use whatever is handy. My husband recently put up a pegboard in my sewing room, so I am now painfully aware of my scissor obsession.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:07 AM

I purchased snips at JAs about 4 yrs.ago and I don't see them on their site now, however, the Exquisite Brand Snip-EZE Thread and Embroidery Snips and/or the Rainbow Easy Kut Spring Snips are what I have. I have one that has the flat blades and the other has the curved blades. I got the flat one first then I purchased the curved ones for another machine. I R E A L L Y like the curved the best!!!!!!!!! They are very light weight which is nice. I keep a medium size Command strip on the right side of each machine to put the snips on after each use. It is, however, a habit that needs to be perfected and practiced religously.....(I think I got it now!) Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:20 AM

I usually use a small pair of embroidery scissors - sharp to the tip.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:12 AM

I have a lanyard with a pair of embroidery scissors attached that I wear around my neck. However I just got a pair of tiny (but with big finger holes) scissors that has a cab on the end that I'm going to try on my lanyard. That way I or probably won't get stabbed anymore. However I undoubtedly will lose the cap within 5 minutes!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 AM

Hubby put one of those metal shelving units above my sewing machine and I bought a magnetic strip from Harbor Freight and put that one the edge of the lowest shelf. I keep my small scissors, Gingher snips, rotary cutter, etc on there but I use the Gingher snips the most, I love them. I found them on eBay a long time ago for 5 dollars a pair and bought 5 of them so I could keep them in different places where I use them.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:03 AM

I put my small sharp scissors on a lanyard and wear it about my neck. I also have scissors on my ironing board, cutting table, but they are always in the wrong place when I need them. I need to get my seam ripper on a lanyard, also. I have 3 of the darn things, but can never find one when I need it.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I have a pair of Gingher snips that are my favorites. I also have several pair of small scissors (embroidery, cuticle, etc) that i keep by my machines for a quick snip. I have a pair of Squeezers that I was given as a gift. I've never like them. Mine don't seem to cut that well.
I like my Gingher snips too. They sit on machine all the time. There when I need them.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:41 PM

I use a pair of the small pointy scissors with the swan handles that I was gifted by my sister-in-law when I first learned to quilt. To keep it from wandering and also to make for easy retrieval when I drop it (as I often do), I have attached it to the sewing machine with a long ribbon that I sewed a loop of elastic to the end. The elastic is attached to the scissors, and allows extra reach when the ribbon is just not long enough. All I did was loop it thru one handle before attaching it to the machine where the cord is at the right side.
When I drop it, I just pull up the ribbon and haul it up to me, rather than having to find it on the floor. LOL I have another one attached to my ironing board the same way. When I am not using the scissors by my machine, I have a pretty spool of thread that I use to hold them, by turning the point down in the hole of the spool.