Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is scrim binder?

I was shopping for some batting this morning and noticed they had some with "scrim binder". It was less expensive the the other comparable batting but I do not know what that is. Could someone please educate me on this :?:

Blog Entries
    I know that scrim is a process used to hold the batting together better. I haven't heard this term before though :D:D:D

Scrim binder is a thin polypropylene binder used in making quilt batting. The cotton fibers are punched with hundreds of needles through the strong, thin scrim to prevent tearing, shifting or migration. The scrim binder provides additional strength which enables the product to be quilted up to 8 to 10 inches apart, or used as the outer layer for crafts projects. This batting is primarily used for machine quilters and crafts, but can be hand-quilted.

Blog Entries
    batts that do not have scrim will pull apart easily and usually need to be quilted every 2-4"
    if the batt has scrim it holds up better to pulling (machine quilting) and can be quilted much further apart.

saf
    Thanks for asking this question. I was wondering the same thing. Now we know :lol:

Thanks for the info everyone, makes perfect sense.