Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What Thread To Use >

What Thread To Use

What Thread To Use

Old 11-05-2014, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

Connecting Threads Essential Pro on the cone is 70wt 2 ply. I use it for piecing and bobbins. Connecting Threads Essential spool and cone is 50 wt 3 ply. It's a little thick for me for piecing but good for machine quilting on many domestic machines. I use the 50wt on top and the 70wt on bottom.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:23 PM

I have talked to several LA quilters and they said they both piece and quilt with polyester thread so that is what I have been using for almost everything!!!!
Old 11-05-2014, 06:36 PM

I'll second Onebyone's recommendation for Connecting Thread's Essential Pro cones. They ship very efficiently to Canada, without surprise duty charges. Terrific prices. I also use Gutermann.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:10 PM

I like piecing with cotton thread because I like to use a very hot iron when ironing my seams. Too hot will melt polyester or rayon. I typically don't iron after I quilt, so I will use anything that I like the color for the quilting. When I do embroidery with polyester thread on quilt blocks, I make very sure to keep the hot iron off that thread.

The Coats & Clark cotton thread does have a lot of lint, but I still use it when I have to.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by SusanSusan33 View Post
I bookmarked a great thread company in Canada. They have Auriful which is a very fine 50/3 thread I like for piecing. http://www.tristan.bc.ca/specials.html

Also I imagine www.connectingthreads.com ships to Cananda. Their cotton threqad is very nice and the price is RIGHT!
I checked out Tristan.bc but the shipping costs from their to Ontario are way to high. For me their prices are out of my range. You are right about connectingthreads. Their prices are good.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Connecting Threads Essential Pro on the cone is 70wt 2 ply. I use it for piecing and bobbins. Connecting Threads Essential spool and cone is 50 wt 3 ply. It's a little thick for me for piecing but good for machine quilting on many domestic machines. I use the 50wt on top and the 70wt on bottom.
Can you really mix up the different threads? This would sure make matching threads easier. How do you match colour in a Bargello? Do you keep stopping and starting. Could you tell me the advantage of using differen threads.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
I'll second Onebyone's recommendation for Connecting Thread's Essential Pro cones. They ship very efficiently to Canada, without surprise duty charges. Terrific prices. I also use Gutermann.
I just received my first online purchase last month and it was from Connecting Treads. Even with exchange and shipping it is still better than Ontario. I didn't realize that using poly thread was ok.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:56 AM

I don't usually change threads through the piecing process unless I go from a dark area to a very light area, then maybe I should. An example would be a log cabin that has a very dark fabric on half, then a white on the other side. The colors white, natural and light gray seem to be good for most projects. I figured this out after I bought all sorts of colors. I think they are going to become quilting threads.

I have been working on a Bali Wedding Star, pattern by Judy Niemeyer, for several months. The background is a light beige fabric and the rings are all sorts of colors....purple to red, light orange to brown, light green to very dark green, and all of it has been pieced with a thread that matches the background color. A dark thread could have been very visible on the light, but the light beige just seems to work.

One of the things that I do so I don't have to change threads for my different colors is to set my stitch length smaller. I found out when I was paper piecing, that the recommended length is 1.8 or 1.6 rather than the 2 to 2.5 for regular piecing. This tighter stitch doesn't show nearly as much as the longer length. It is harder to rip out, so I do have to be more accurate with my seams, but that isn't a bad thing. haha.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I don't usually change threads through the piecing process unless I go from a dark area to a very light area, then maybe I should. An example would be a log cabin that has a very dark fabric on half, then a white on the other side. The colors white, natural and light gray seem to be good for most projects. I figured this out after I bought all sorts of colors. I think they are going to become quilting threads.

I have been working on a Bali Wedding Star, pattern by Judy Niemeyer, for several months. The background is a light beige fabric and the rings are all sorts of colors....purple to red, light orange to brown, light green to very dark green, and all of it has been pieced with a thread that matches the background color. A dark thread could have been very visible on the light, but the light beige just seems to work.

One of the things that I do so I don't have to change threads for my different colors is to set my stitch length smaller. I found out when I was paper piecing, that the recommended length is 1.8 or 1.6 rather than the 2 to 2.5 for regular piecing. This tighter stitch doesn't show nearly as much as the longer length. It is harder to rip out, so I do have to be more accurate with my seams, but that isn't a bad thing. haha.
I didn't think any thread showed when piecing. I thought you only had to watch when quilting so the thread colour looked good on the quilt top and looked good on the back. As a beginner I will match the back colour as well as I can knowing any method I use to quilt will be as invisible as possible
Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I usually use Mettler silk finished thread. I can buy it on Walmart or JAF (when it is on sale online only). It depends on what type of DSM you own. With my old Bernina, I choose Gutermann over DD any day of the week. Just my opinion.