Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What type of flooring for new studio >

What type of flooring for new studio

What type of flooring for new studio

Old 05-28-2013, 07:37 PM

I have a laminate floor in my quilt studio and absolutely love it.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM
cma

Thankyou everyone for your quick responses. I really appreciate the input. The foundation will be wood framing. Love the idea about radiant heat! Think laminate floor is the way to go. And I can always put a section of carpet down if necessary. The rubber mat by the yard at Lowe's is a great idea too for in front of long arm.
Getting sew excited!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:57 PM

We have a timber frame and the upstairs "floor" is the tongue and grove ceiling. I was using a bedroom as a sewing room and the pins, needles and everything else kept getting caught in the "groves". The new sewing room has a laminate over the tongue and grove. I LOVE IT!! I even have my longarm up there now!

Easy to clean, flat and smooth!! That left one small problem however - the foot pedal from the domestic sewing machine kept sliding - so what I did was purchase a cheap rubber backed carpet "kitchen mats" (one of those half circle ones that you would see in front of a sink) - no more slipping.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:21 PM

Ahh, what a wonderful "problem" to have! I use the kitchen table for my sewing/quilting so it's laminate flooring....
Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by cma View Post
Hi everyone!
I am so very fortunate to be planning a new home with a 12X29 sewing/longarm quilt room. My question is:
Should the flooring be wood or will I need carpeting to limit vibration? or is there no vibration?
HELP!!!
What are your thoughts? Need to know soon for cost break downs.
Appreciate anyone's input-Penny*
No way would I ever put carpet in a sewing room. Nope, nope, nope.

If you want softer and quieter, check out cork flooring. I don't know how it would hold up to wearing a path between stations, but I'd sure check in to it.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
I would do wood or vinyl, not carpet. It's much easier to clean, although it's also much easier to see that it's not clean. We did bamboo, and apparently got a softer bamboo - it dents easily. But bamboo is a good choice, too.

We put stranded bamboo in our living room earlier this year. I LOVE IT! If I understand correctly, the "stranded" is sort of fused together. From an end cut, you can see the pieces of bamboo stuck together.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I ripped out carpet for the hardwood floors underneath! So much nicer and easier to zip thru with the swiffer every couple days....would never have carpet again!

My fabric storage room/computer room used to be my DD's bedroom. It's got carpet. I wanted it out when I started moving shelves and bins in but hubby wouldn't go for it. If this place wasn't so jam packed, I'd rip the carpet out and put almost anything EXCEPT carpet in here
Old 05-29-2013, 03:37 AM

There are many new high quality vinyl floors that are "loose layed" just like the laminates. You might want to check those out. If you have a big budget, look at cork flooring. It is naturally insulated and has some give in it. When the day comes that I turn my family room into my sewing space, I'll be looking at these products.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:42 AM

I have hard wood in my sewing room with an area rug under the cutting table. Much prefer that set up. We recently installed a vinyl flooring in our dining room. I LOVE that flooring. It's comfortable to walk on, cleans up easily. Brand is Allure. I has somewhat of a 'distressed' appearance which I find appealing since the possible scratches from dogs/furniture won't be overly visible. Also lifetime warranty and waterproof. Very reasonably priced compared to wood or lots of laminates.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

I have two rooms, one for sewing and one for cutting and fabric. I have white ceramic tile in the sewing room and carpet in the cutting room. I really like the ceramic tile. I told DH I wouldn't mind the tile in the whole house. We have wide plank dark in the other rooms.