Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

Blog Entries
    What type of Hand Quilting Frames do you have?

Floor models what brands

Hoops what brands

I use a Jasmine (hoop on a stand), the Easy Spinner with a hoop of 18". Love it!

I have an Ulmer Quilt frame.
    I rarely hand quilt anymore but when I was using it I loved it.

Blog Entries
    haven't heard of that one, where can you buy them from?

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    I use a Jasmine (hoop on a stand), the Easy Spinner with a hoop of 18". Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear

Here's their website---be sure to click on the Demos.
    http://www.ulmerquilter.com/

But they're cheaper here:
    http://threadsintyme.tripod.com/ulmerquilterframe.htm

Edited---OOPS I thought you were asking about the Ulmer frame. Maybe I should go back to bed....

I use a "home made" floor frame. Saw horse brackets and 2x4's. Has worked great for about 30 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear

I bought it here in Germany in a quilt shop, but the company's website is here:

http://www.jasmineheirlooms.com/

Blog Entries
    I was gifted with this FAN DESIGN QUILTING FRAME HAND QUILT when I got into quilting a couple years ago. Here's the ebay item: http://cgi.ebay.com/FAN-DESIGN-QUILT...item20b13a7c55

Still have it and still have a quilt on it just waiting to be finished :)

I have a Hinterberg Design "Classic." It's very sturdy, has 3 poles so I don't have to baste. Sadly, they don't make them anymore.

I have a round Hintenburg floor frame and a square Grace frame. Both of them tilt and revolve. The Grace frame even has a light. I can use both of them while sitting in a wing chair.

14" quilting hoop that I bought at JoAnn's. I love it!! I set up a card table to put the needed supplies on and can use it to hold part of the weight of the quilt and prop the hoop between my lap and the edge of the table. This is so much easier on my hands and wrists as I can turn the hoop to best advantage. If I need to stop and have the space available for entertaining, I can simply fold everything up and put it somewhere else for the meantime. I had previously used a floor frame but much prefer my hoop. I pin the sandwich together. Start quilting in the middle and work out.

I have a Q-Snap floor frame.

My first handquilting frame was a cheap oval hoop purchased at Joann's for a couple bucks. Like this...
    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd34506

From there I moved onto the 14" Grace Floor Hoop and used that for a couple years. It is a great hoop for smaller quilts but was cumbersome to do a bed-size quilt on.

So from there I moved onto the Q-snap frame. Have used it for the last several years with great success. You don't have to move your quilt as often. However, you still have to baste your sandwich.

So in April my DH bought me a Hinterberg 3 roll frame for my birthday. With this frame, you don't have to pre-baste the quilt sandwich, you just adjust the tension using the sprocket wheels on the end. We have yet to put this frame together or put a quilt on it because first the room was being used for guests, then we took a vacation, and now I'm waiting till I can get the room painted next weekend! Plus, the first quilt I want to do on it is still being pieced! LOL

I've never use a large frame like the Hinterberg, so will have to let you know on that one. I'm not getting rid of my Q-snap until I find out whether or not I can successfully quilt on the Hinterberg. And I will keep my Grace Hoop for now to do baby/lap quilts on.

Here is a QS quilt in the Grace hoop
    Name:  Attachment-87619.jpe
Views: 616
Size:  77.3 KB

QS quilt in the Q-snap frame
    Name:  Attachment-87620.jpe
Views: 1877
Size:  30.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Here's a link to the one I really like. The swivel ball allows me to easily adjust the tilt and angle (or turn the quilt) easily, and there is virtually nothing underneath to get in the way of my underneath hand.

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/prod...APTOP-HOOP.htm

I started out with the Q-snap frame and have since bought the Ez44. I love it. I found with the q-snap frame that you have to move your quilt so often, and that got annoying. That is just my opinion.

My husband made me a Q-Snap floor frame that I really like. However, I have gone to a lap hoop that I bought at Joann's that I like. It is more comfortable to use. Bending over the floor frame is hard on my back. Getting older is hard on a person.

I have a Hinterberg floor hoop, it's 22 inches and pivots any which way. I bought it used and am happy with it.

I have a Hinterberg Easy Build Plus floor frame ( http://www.hinterberg.com/prod-Easy_...ame_Kit-8.aspx ) that I made adjustable. I have 4', 6' and 10' poles for it and the trestle has extensions so I can adjust it to the quilt size. Works great and I love it. I just have to remember to tilt it up when not quilting so the cats don't use it as a hammock!! :roll:

Blog Entries
    I have the floor Q snap, and a Grace EZ no basting floor frame with the kings size rails. The first frame I bought was from Hobby Lobby, the oval standing one, it was too flimsy for me. I bought the big floor frame from Hobby Lobby and it was like screwed together toothpicks. I have several smaller frames I like. The Buhoogee hand held frames are the best ever made and for some reason I can't find for sale anymore! I found one on Ebay last year. I have a round lap frame that swivels and tilts. It was hand made by a local woodworker and sold in a few quilt shops. I have several big square frames that are adjustable, sold as QAYG frames. And I have one very large hand hoop frame I found at a thrift store that the hoops are much wider than any I have seen. It holds a bulky quilt top perfectly.

I use the Hinterberg floor hoop. I absolutely love it. It angles and turns a full 360 degrees.

I have one of the Grace frames. I was lucky to come by it, as a friend was moving, didn't want to take it with her, and asked if I knew someone who could use them. I told her I could, then I wouldn't have to borrow from others.

The only thing is, my girls and I can't do a quilting bee with these frames. When we want to do that, then I borrow frames that have a stand, 4 1X2's and clamps and use those.

I have the Q-Snap frame. It is easy to store and use.

I have two pvc lap frames-an ll" and the other 16", a half round wooden one for borders, and the floor model Q snap frame.

I have an HInterburg "Cadillac" Frame, and it goes up to a king size. I have had it 12 years now. and I love sitting at it and quilting. 3 can sit and quilt together.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    I have an HInterburg "Cadillac" Frame, and it goes up to a king size. I have had it 12 years now. and I love sitting at it and quilting. 3 can sit and quilt together.
    This looks exactly like the Hinterberg frame that my husband got me for my birthday!! It is still down stairs in the basement in pieces waiting for me to paint it's new room for it so we can put it together and put it to good use!

:D Can't wait!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast