Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what is wrong with me?

what is wrong with me?

ok so to fu yesterday's post; the ruffles for the quilt bag; I thank you all for the techniques you suggested; so I sewed the longest stitch and increased my tension, well I started to pull the bobbin stitch and at first the ruffles started to look great, then as a con't to pull the string it popped! whhhhyyyyyyyy? is the tension too tight? do I have strong Shrek hands? I was trying to be as gentle as I could; it can't be this difficult, this kept happening so i said I said I was goin to forget the ruffles but without them the quilt bag does not look as nice, so has anyone ever tried elastic thread? and do you have to hand wind it on your bobbin?

Blog Entries
    I have a ruffled foot for my sewing machine but it has yet to see the light of day!!! I would do like someone recommended on you other post: do a zig zag stitch over dental floss. Seems like this would be a simple remedy to you issue. I've never used the elastic thread so I don't have any insight on it.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Elastic thread won't give the full gathers you want. Did you use three rows of big stitches, secure one end by winding all three threads around a pin then pull gently from the other end - all three threads together. You pull the bobbin thread, not the top. As your gathers bunch up, hold the threads and slide the bunched gathers further toward the pinned end. When it's the length you want, wrap the threads around a pin and distribute the gathers evenly.

My friend just made ruffled skirts for her GD's and she used the clear elastic that is about 1/4" wide. You just stretch it as you sew and it gathers the fabric.

I usually attach a long piece of yarn to the end of the fabric for the ruffle, and do a wide zigzag over the yarn, making sure not to catch the yarn in the stitch. Then when I pull the yarn and it ruffles.

When I made doll clothes I would use a long stitch and zigzag over crochet thread. It doesn't break. When sewing clothes I always used a long straight stitch and secured by wrapping the threads at one end and pulled with the two threads. Something like irishrose said.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Elastic thread won't give the full gathers you want. Did you use three rows of big stitches, secure one end by winding all three threads around a pin then pull gently from the other end - all three threads together. You pull the bobbin thread, not the top. As your gathers bunch up, hold the threads and slide the bunched gathers further toward the pinned end. When it's the length you want, wrap the threads around a pin and distribute the gathers evenly.
    Here is a video showing you how to do it this way. http://m.videojug.com/film/how-to-sew-ruffles-2
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

I have done many gathers for various costumes and I usually hang onto the thread with my left hand and move the fabric across it with my right, as opposed to pulling on the thread, which can break easily. Don't know if this will work for you, but good luck!

In garment sewing, I don't change the tension at all -- just use a big stitch, anchor the top thread, and use the bobbin thread to gather. If you're gathering very tightly and/or over a long distance, you do want a strong bobbin thread -- dual duty plus or good quilting cotton should work fine. Usually if I'm going over a long distance with tight gathers, I'll break the line of stitches into 2 or 3 sets so I don't have to haul on the same thread for so long.

I also gather by zigzagging over a thicker thread and pulling it to mke gathers.

I just did the zigzag over buttonhole thread that I had around the sewing room. Color doesn't matter as no one will see it anyway.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I have made several dust ruffles for beds this past year and I always zigzag over crochet cotton thread, two rows. I use a fairly short zigzag and it pulls up easily. I like them ruffled pretty full (3:1) and this works fine.

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    You could also divided your ruffle in half or thirds. Sew 2 lines of long stitches on each half or third. This method worked great on a tree skirt ruffle. I had to divide the ruffle into eights it was so long.

Were you using a lightweight thread? When I started quilting, I began using 50 wt Aurifil and it would break when I tried pulling it out. I used to use polyester thread in my garment sewing, it would be stronger when gathering.
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Try this technique....so simple and yet you do not have to pull any threads...and even though it is "pre gathered" it is totally adjustable....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx-5T6VLilg
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Make your stitches as long as you can (I use a basting stitch), then sew your first row of stitches along the edge of your fabric,
    sew another line of stitches again as long as you can (basting stitch), about a half inch away from the
    first row of stitching. Now pull gently on both of the bobbin threads, at the same time, once you have
    your gathered fabric the way you would like it, then do another row of stitches between the first two
    rows at your normal stitch length, then remove your gathering rows.

I don't have issues with thread breakage, if I do the two lines of basting stitches.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I have used the clear elastic and liked it.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

I also just lengthen the stitch length. Also you have to pull the thread GENTLY and move the gathers along as ytou pull. Also I have found that poly thread seemd to be better than cotton thread. Cotton thread tends to break easier than polly thread. Just be GENTLE!!!!!!
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

When I used to make pillow shams years ago for order, I used dental floss and zigzag stitched over that and then pulled the floss to gather. Worked great!

Blog Entries
    Have you tried sewing a tiny zigzag stitch over a thin chord? You can easily make a ruffle that way?

I love Sewing with Nancy, and she was just doing ruffles. She suggested gathering tape ( that's what I'll call it). It is fusible, and you just fuse it down to the piece you are wanting ruffles in, and then tie off one end and gather the other. Really easy. I 'll bet she has it on her website.

When I did a lot of garment sewing I used to make 2 or 3 rows of gathers. Lately I sew a zig zag over dental floss then gather. That stuff is strong!

I teach sewing basics, and this is one of the things I always show my students, 3 rows of stitches 1/8 inch apart, on the basting stitch setting, leave long tails on each end, and wrap the ends around a pin at the end when done pulling up to make a figure 8, like a cleat. Now for the pulling part, do the seam line first (usually 1/2 to 5/8 inch), then do the one closest to the cut edge of the fabric, last do the center one, The trick is to support the fabric at the point you are gathering it on the thread, which means you are constantly moving your fingers down the row of stitches, DO NOT go past the center, instead go to the other unsecured end and pull back to the center, if you feel the fabric pulling hard, STOP and ease the jammed fabric open a bit, then continue pulling. You can make very long ruffles this way.
    pat design

I have found over years of clothes sewing for little girls, the best gathering is done by running two or three rows of stitches. If the area is very long, break it up at a seamline otherwise run one line at 6/8, another 1/4 " in and then another 1/4" in. Pull on bobbin thread, not top line. You can also sew over crochet thread or dental floss with a zigzag stitch. you do have to go back and take out the gathering lines outside your seam line but it is worth it for how nice it looks.

Power Poster
    I learned that the best way to get ruffles is to sew a large zig-zag stitch over a piece of quilting thread or other sturdy thread, dental floss, etc. I do have a ruffling attachment, but it's for a Singer, which I never used and I don't have that machine any more. Hope this helps.

I used to do 2 rows of zig zag stitching over a heavier thread. When you're done sewing - on one end wind the threads back and forth across/around a pin so you don't pull the threads out. Pull the zig zags at the other end and try to even out the gathers as you pull the threads. You could divide the ruffle into 4's and mark with pins. Do the same for whatever you're sewing the ruffle to and mark the pins. When you pull the threads to gather, match the pins on the ruffle and the pins on whatever you're sewing the ruffle to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast