Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your biggest waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I bought a Clover desktop needle threader - I can't get it to work - finally read the tiniest print ever and it only works with specific needles that are made by clover. So it really was a waste of $ 15.
    Ah hah!! I bought the Clover desktop needle threader, thinking what a help it would be since my *eyes* are older. Have only ever gotten a needle threaded once or twice. It sits in my sewing drawer. Did not know it had to be used with Clover needles. That would explain it!!!! I bought it 50% off I think - so I am glad it wasn't more since I likely won't be buying Clover needles.
    Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    I have three of these (one in each handwork spot) and use them all the time and I don't have any Clover needles. I love them!
    Hmmm...so back to wondering...why can't I get the darned thing to work! Had my daughter in there with me, both of us trying to get a needle threaded, gave up after about 20 minutes. Would love to be able to get it to work!
    Dawn

My friend and I spent $110.00 EACH (at our big quilt show this past Feb) on these fancy feet (for DSM's) for special applications. We sat thru her entire demonstration, we were both so excited, looked so simple. The feet came with a binder full of instructions....THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN OUR 1ST CLUE. Neither one of us have touched it since. Someone else may really like it. I would sell it in a heart beat if someone was interested...1/2 price. PM me
    SUEB

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    Ah hah!! I bought the Clover desktop needle threader, thinking what a help it would be since my *eyes* are older. Have only ever gotten a needle threaded once or twice. It sits in my sewing drawer. Did not know it had to be used with Clover needles. That would explain it!!!! I bought it 50% off I think - so I am glad it wasn't more since I likely won't be buying Clover needles.
    I have one too, and it works on my roxanne needles, don't have clover needles, I think the eye of the needle just has to be round, not oval. it works very well for me

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    The tool to put binding on, by martelli, I think. Can't figure out how they did it do easy!
    I got this and absolutely hate it. Worst product I have ever bought. I even complained to the company, I wanted my money back. Got nowhere with them. Sits on the shelf as a constant reminder to think about my purchases.

Blog Entries
    I have the same threader and have not had a bit of trouble. I use it a lot when Im sewing binding by hand. I normally use Foxglove Straw needles that have very small eyes. It has also worked with any thread (that is a little on the thinner side) and any needles.

Olfa circle cutter -- still in the package. Also some half circle templates (still in the package).
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    I have one too, and it works on my roxanne needles, don't have clover needles, I think the eye of the needle just has to be round, not oval. it works very well for me
    I love mine and my friend got one also because mine worked so well, but I believe not only the eye of the needle matters, so does your thread. If you use thicker hand quilting thread - think it is 30 weight - the 50 weight works good on mine. Also, you need to hold the thread back and to the right - I think. When i bought mine, there was a sign saying ask for a demonstration and that made a work of difference. Of course I had to buy the Clover threader and the hand-made base which had a spindle for the thread and an small pin cushion on it, so you cold thread several needles at a time.

I actually didn't buy the martelli binding tools since I was on a very strict budget and two of my friends bought it. I tried to use it once, but since I was in a hurry, I didn't practice, so didn't get good results. I did buy the curve master feet and had decent success with them -- but I'm not in love with the templates I bought. I think that's my biggest "mistake".

Hate pounce. Love clover wonder clips and extra fine patchwork pins.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

You might find the instructions on-line.......just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    I once bought a really nice serger at a 50% discount on the last day of the International Quilt Festival in Houston.
    Never could really figure out how to thread it unless I was following the video, though I did use it one time to make a jacket of vintage barkcloth with antique buttons. But eventually, through divorce, moves, updating equipment, I lost the ability to watch video cassettes. It has became the most expensive paper weight I've ever owned.

Jan in VA
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I bought a Clover desktop needle threader - I can't get it to work - finally read the tiniest print ever and it only works with specific needles that are made by clover. So it really was a waste of $ 15.
    I have this, too, and it works fine for me, and I'm not careful what needles I use with it. You do have to be able to see well enough that you are facing the needle hole in the right direction. You can't just stick the needle in the holder any which way--the hole has to be facing the right way. (A mistake I made initially...)

One thing I bought and never use is the Angler 2. I can't sew a correct diagonal seam with it to save my soul. Back to drawing lines for me.

Jim
    templates and a ton of books I look at once and never use but cant resist. I bought the binding tool and like doing it my way better...live and learn and always use coupons...lol
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

working on a scrappy UFO behind my Viking
    Blog Entries
    I like the Clover clips for binding, my Ott light, and a smaller (28mm) size rotary cutter. I too have multiple rulers that R in my closet. I tend to use the 6" and 12 1/2 " squared ones. I also like the quality bobbin only thread.
    Seattle Awaits
    If a quilter lives in your house you should never be cold.

Blog Entries
    People who buy circular foot, quick tip try a drawing pin it works just as well.
    My worst purchase is joining a queue and buying what a group of others are also buying,if all these think it is good it must be. Get home and usuall give it away to my quilting friends. Hehe. Packs of fabric and not read what is inside for sizes or pack of wadding again don't look at size.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar
    Flynn Quilting Frame. What a waste of money. I can't even give it away!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

My biggest waste of money is was for my Husqvarna Viking Fabric Mover for my SE. I bought it new for $1,000 and used it for about 2 hours. They made it look so easy, but it's not and I would love to get rid of it. It's just collecting dust.
    Happy Quilting, Diana

Quote Originally Posted by deedum View Post
    I bought the super slider FM thing, it just didn't work for me. I wasted my money there.
    Me too......doesn't work very well if you don't have a built in machine with a flat surface. Fabric gets caought up under the darn thing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra-P View Post
    Various thimbles, and rulers that are for one purpose. I have one that is supposed to be for binding and I still cant figure out how to use it.
    I got a leather thimble, soft and the back part is elasticized and I love it for binding! I think I paid $5.00 for it. One of my better investments. Until I found that I used three bandaids!!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Quote Originally Posted by GailG View Post
    I echo some of the above: specialized rulers, marking pens, etc. But I think I've wasted a lot of money on books -- and some of them were a pretty price. I love to look at them and read some of the basic information, but I've hardly ever used an actual pattern in any one of them.
    I agree. Mine is books. We are having a yardsale this weekend and most of them will be for sale then.

Blog Entries
    I bought a long arm that never worked right. That was a big-g-g-g-g-g mistake.

I guess my worst purchase was the accuquilt go baby. I just could not afford to buy the dies for it. So I sold it on Cragslist. I sold my serger there too. I never used either one of these things. My biggest downfall is books, but I usually purchase them here.
    Amythyst

I do like the clover thimble, Fons n Porter had the best one I found but of course we can't get those anymore.
    Also, comments on the sergers, I have 2 and use them all the time. Wouldn't be without one.

I bought those bicycle clips to hold your quilt roll, that was a waste of money! Better off to puddle the quilt when FM.

Wonderful list of 'reminders' before heading to a show! I don't have anything on my must buy list for Houston, and I know that is dangerous, because then I get excited by everything!!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast