Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What is your fav two color quilt pattern?

I like monochromatic combos like maroon/pink, navy/lt. blue, black/gray, etc. Unfortunately they are still on my bucket list. Other things come up and push them to the back burner.
    One step at a time, always forward.

I've done several snail trail quilts in two colors (sorry, no pics). One was my DD's school color--purple. I used lights, mediums and darks. It is interesting how in some squares the medium is dark and in others, it is light. The other quilt was for my then-boyfriend (now DH) and done in blues. I paper-pieced each block and used a 6" block.
    Laurie in NYC

Quote Originally Posted by woody View Post
    I googled red and tan quilt patterns and I thought this one was really nice, and it is just a string quilt done with the 2 colours
    http://stringthingchallenge.blogspot.com.au/

Bother, that link doesn't take you directly to the picture, you will need to scroll down to almost the bottom of the page and the quilt I am taking about is call red, black and tan
    There are a lot of great looking quilts on that site. I really like the red and white heart quilt.
    Pat

I have probably made 8 or ten Winner's circles with just two colors. Sometimes I have added the third color in border but still made the blocks just two colors. goes fast. Just 20 blocks and than your borders I extended the borders to finish either queen or even king size.

Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    I can't help you but I'm following closely as I've never made a 2 color quilt!
    I have a whole book on two-color quilts. It shows blue and white on the cover, but of course you are not limited to that. I got it years ago; it's a 9x12 paperback. It's Quick Method Classic Blue Quilts by Leisure Arts Inc., date 1997.

Blog Entries
    Drunkard path is a good two color pattern. there are so many variations.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Smile

I just love Ohio Star. It looks great in any two colors. I used scrappy red and plain white muslin. Would look great in red and tan also.

A Kaleidoscope looks good in two colors. Wish I could put my picture here (dial up). But, I asked for quilting help under "kaleidoscope Stuck". I am *almost* thru hand binding it, and will post a final picture then. I was pleasantly surprised at how much it was liked. I had felt like it was 'blah'. Thanks again for that, ladies!! =))

A combo of 9 square and snowball! Super easy!
    Name:  Boots and Polly Quilt.jpg
Views: 2688
Size:  379.2 KB
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

9 patch (D9P) and drunkards path immediately come to mind. Snowball, maple leaf, storm at sea.

Around the world could be done in different shades of 2 colors, or a bargello. Lots of blocks on quilters cache are shown in 2 colors incl. bear paw.

There's Bonnie Hunter's boxy stars.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Just press "Reply with Quote" at the bottom of the post that you want to quote. Type your post outside the square brackets.
    Thanks dunster for explaining this. I tried it before but couldn't figure it out. I've got it now.

QM
    I would ask more closely what he wants. When my son asked for a black and white quilt. he really meant B&W with touches of red. These are 2 versions of a simple ALMOST 2 color pattern I made for someone else. It is really easy, being made with one partial seam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I recently finished "Ohio Star" in red and white...I love it...it is at the LAQ now and I can't wait to get it home!!!!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Made a reds and tans/off whites
    scrappy paper pieced "Pineapple" that is stunning. All fabric was from my scrap stash.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    I have a pattern called "Irish Lace" it is perfect for two color quilts. Its similar to Irish chain. Lots of block arraingement choices.
    Lori - could you share a pic or link? I'm familiar with Irish Chain, but didn't find Irish Lace.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina View Post
    I have one that alternates between rail fence blocks and 9 patch, all set on point. You wouldn't need a pattern at all. Let me see if I can find a picture of it.

Dina
    Dina--I saved a picture of your quilt when you first posted it because I loved it so much and hoped to make it one day! It's a wonderful example of a two color quilt that is anything but plain.

To Quiltin-nannie--You can click the "Reply with Quote" area under the post you want to quote in your reply and it will show in your post. You can even delete parts of the quote that aren't pertinent!
    Last edited by Pinkiris; 02-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Sue

Log cabin works great and is simple!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

blue & white is my fave combo with red & white a close second in any pattern
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

English Wedding Ring looks nice in two colors. Especially set on point.

​I really love yellow and blue, with a small amount of white

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Have you tried the 10 minute block yet ? I am so stuck on that one .. Cut out the blocks for another one today ..
    Once you get the hang of it; it truly is a 10 minute block ...
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

[QUOTE=Pinkiris;5863954]Dina--I saved a picture of your quilt when you first posted it because I loved it so much and hoped to make it one day! It's a wonderful example of a two color quilt that is anything but plain.

Wow, thanks! You made my day!!

Dina

Blog Entries
    Name:  Broken Dishes.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  283.0 KB
    Here is one I did for my granddaughter. It's called Broken Dishes from a Fons and Porter Magazine and is just HSTs! There are 4 HSTs in each block, so if you look at the lower left corner you can see how the block is constructed. Very quick and easy!

Quote Originally Posted by calmarek View Post
    Name:  Broken Dishes.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  283.0 KB
    Here is one I did for my granddaughter. It's called Broken Dishes from a Fons and Porter Magazine and is just HSTs! There are 4 HSTs in each block, so if you look at the lower left corner you can see how the block is constructed. Very quick and easy!
    I love your quilt -- it inspires me to try one like it.

It's not scappy, but Hunter's Star makes up beautifullly in two colors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast