Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your Favorite Applique Method? >

What is your Favorite Applique Method?

What is your Favorite Applique Method?

Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 AM
RST

Needleturn, except sometimes for a quilt that I anticipate will get a lot of heavy wear, I will do the old washaway interfacing trick and then machine stitch.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:34 AM

I've done needle turn, fusible, freezer paper, and the one where you use one sided fusible, sew it to the applique fusible side to the right side of the fabric, then turn, and you can cut out a large portion of the side that will be fused to the fabric to minimize the hardness of the fusible. I like the last method best.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:42 PM

I have done needle turn, freezer paper and fusible, that I stitch with a buttonhole st. by hand using floss. I love them all!!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:26 PM

I haven't tried it yet but intend to. Knowing the quality of my hand stitching, whatever I do it will be with a machine.
Rodney
Old 12-19-2013, 06:43 PM

My favorite is let someone else do it. Lol!

I've done fusible with paint pen edging - which ends up cracking after a few washings (on sweatshirts).

I've done it also on baby bibs with satin stitch edging which I liked better, but no longer have the zigzag machine (passed on to someone who didn't have a machine).

Tried needle turn for the hot air balloon block swap and felt like mine was close to a disaster - apologies to those of you who got one of my blocks!

So for now anyway, I'm leaving it to the rest of you.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:22 AM

It's so funny but I actually find hand applique to be very relaxing. I usually trace the pattern onto the piece being appliqued and baste to background fabric. I find it much easier than dealing with the freezer paper rolling up or pins. I will trim seams (~1/8") and clip curves a little at a time as I am working on it (maybe a few inches). Instead of needle turn, I use a flat wet toothpick (which I keep in my mouth) to turn down the edges of the applique. The toothpick grabs the fabric nicely and helps to turn under smoothly. I just love it! I have never been happy with machine applique and the iron on stuff on the fabric. It gives it such a flat look which I'm not happy with. But, try all methods and see which one works best for you. Good luck!