Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6
Results 126 to 146 of 146

Thread: What is your favorite binding tool?

  1. #126

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hurst, TX
    Posts
    137
    What section at Walmart did you buy these clips? Since our Walmart remodeled and took out the fabric, I can't find anything! Would the clips be in that section? Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfrog
    Tools? I guess you could call the bendable "hair clips" tools. I use these to hold the binding instead of pins (OUCH!) while I'm hand sewing the folded edge to the back of the quilt.
    Hope that makes sense. If not, let me know...I'll try to get more detailed. Also, I buy a large package of these clips at a discount store (K-Mart, Walmart, etc.); NOT the quilt store where they are a fortune!
    I love using these clips. I bought mine in Walmart for about $3.00 for 30 of them. My DD saw me using them the other day and reminded me of when I used to use them to make fancy barrettes for her when she was a little girl to match every outfit she had.

  2. #127
    Senior Member fishnlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    416
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BizyStitches
    I've seen mentioned the youtube video about the tool from Missouri Star but not yet has anyone posted the web address. Granted I have not read all 9 pages but I've read most of the messages. Does anyone know how to find this video people are talking about? Thanks in advance!
    Here is the first one.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ding+tool&aq=f

    There there is an updated one here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex2Pa...4850&feature=i

  3. #128

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hurst, TX
    Posts
    137
    I love your quote!!! When the 4 of us sisters are together, my older sister and I have that problem too!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Chrickett
    I cut my binding about 21/2 or 2 1/4 depending on the batting, and then I just sew it on with my machine and hand sew the reat on. and I alsouse binding cips and I love them, they are worth the money and you do not stick your fingers. Have a wonderfull day.

  4. #129
    Super Member GailG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

    ann
    Oooh, I'LL have my head up for that one.

  5. #130
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,629
    I have started work on the tut, but was getting alot of white out on the photos. I finially discovered that if I cover the flash, much brighter pictures. Now to back and redo the photo's :(

  6. #131
    Junior Member nuttyhurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Winchester, VA
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnlady
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfrog
    Tools? I guess you could call the bendable "hair clips" tools. I use these to hold the binding instead of pins (OUCH!) while I'm hand sewing the folded edge to the back of the quilt.
    Hope that makes sense. If not, let me know...I'll try to get more detailed. Also, I buy a large package of these clips at a discount store (K-Mart, Walmart, etc.); NOT the quilt store where they are a fortune!
    I did a search for these but could not find them. Could you explain what these are like? I will try to find some.
    Try in the hair care stuff. Where they sell the bobby pins and barretts. They are called hair clips. They work amazingly. K

  7. #132

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    32
    Ann,
    I, too, am interested.

  8. #133
    Senior Member bobbie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    861
    Blog Entries
    65
    I would be interested in tutorial. Need all the help I can get!!! LOL! Thanks!

  9. #134
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pratt, KS
    Posts
    315
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe search for my show on bindings. This is done without any tools.
    I probably have all the "special binding" tools made and found very little use for them. I do know that others have found these gadgets helpful.
    I used to hate, hate, hate the final joining on the binding...then I watched this video and I can do it!!!! A beautiful joining every time and so easy...do yourself a big favor (and save some money too) by watching this wonderful technique......

  10. #135
    Super Member AnnaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Francisco Bay area
    Posts
    1,446
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbZ
    I just got the binding tool from MissouriQuilt Co. and I LOVE it for the beginning and ending. But I will be interested in seeing the tuturial on it. When will it be?
    There is a tutorial on using this tool on their website. Jenny demos it very thoroughly and makes it look easy as pie.

  11. #136
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,838
    Blog Entries
    11
    Am I the only one who doesn't have problems with the joining,but my corners never look just right? Now if there's a tool to help with corners, I'll be 1st in line.:-)

  12. #137
    Senior Member Sewze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    667
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by justme2
    Am I the only one who doesn't have problems with the joining,but my corners never look just right? Now if there's a tool to help with corners, I'll be 1st in line.:-)
    There is a special tool for Mitred-Bindings. It is the only sure fire way that I have found for perfect mitered corners. It is called "Quick Easy Mitered~Binding Tool" by SEW BIZ: [email protected] ...765-674-6001..Good luck, Jinnie

  13. #138
    Junior Member ceegee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    charleston,s.c.
    Posts
    145
    Blog Entries
    1
    waiting anxiously for your tut. :-P
    ceegee

  14. #139
    Super Member brenda21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,069
    favorite binding tool woould be another person...to do it for me...can't stand doing binding lol

  15. #140
    Super Member greaterexp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    3,051
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

    ann
    I did find a tutorial on You Tube for joining the ends of the binding, which worked for me, but the pictures weren't terribly clear. I'd be very interested in seeing your tutorial! I hate to buy one of those ruler-type things, though it would take some of the work out of it, I guess.

  16. #141
    Senior Member ncsewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    754
    I just watched one of the videos on here and there was a lot of good info. I'm going to try his method of joining the binding. It sure was slick when he did it. There were also good tips on getting the corner to turn square and lay flat. There was more than one session on binding, I'm going back and look at the others too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcene
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe search for my show on bindings. This is done without any tools.
    I probably have all the "special binding" tools made and found very little use for them. I do know that others have found these gadgets helpful.
    I used to hate, hate, hate the final joining on the binding...then I watched this video and I can do it!!!! A beautiful joining every time and so easy...do yourself a big favor (and save some money too) by watching this wonderful technique......

  17. #142
    Senior Member flikkem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    561
    Thanks - good video. I needed to improve my binding. This may do the trick.

  18. #143
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    796
    My very dear brushand thimble!!! Thank you in advance for doing a binding tutorial!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  19. #144
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,629
    I just posted a tutorial on my my way of binding. Search for Better Binding Basics.

    Ann

  20. #145

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10
    I count my walking foot or even feed foot absolutely essential in putting on a binding whether a straight oc grain or a bias cut binding. Esther

  21. #146
    Senior Member mawmawbeve_60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    690
    that would be really nice Ann....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.