Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite binding tool? >

What is your favorite binding tool?

What is your favorite binding tool?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by ohstr
I purchased the binding tool from Missouri Star Quilt Company and it is a dream to use. It can also be used to make French Braid Quilts. It works really well, and was worth the cost. So many times the wonder tools are purchased andnever find their way out of a drawer or box - this in one handy little tool.
Sue
I bought this tool from Missouri Start Quilt Company too. It's a lifesaver when joining the two tails together. Haven't had a problem since!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Banned

Mitred Corners on Binding
After many dozens of bindings I have discovered the major problem with the corner is not being consistent in the seam allowance as you approach the corner. I also stop a couple stitches before i get to the 1/3" or 3/8" point and back stitch. This gives just a bit of space for the fold. The same principle as scant quarter inch in piecing. If you sew the binding on and when ready to do the final stitching and you fold the edge (corner) for the first fold of the mitre - if this section of binding that extends beyond the quilt is not parallel to the edge of the quilt, then there will be a problem and not give a good square mitre. That a lot of words to describe it but hopefully you will understand what I'm saying. Sometimes if the folded tip is far off being parallel, I will rip out the corner and restitch.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 AM

I use the perfect binding miter by Glenna - it is
www.quiltsnstuff.net - it really helps with mitering a corner.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 AM

Yes. I would love to see your tute and pictures would be great for some of us who are new to this.
Thank you
Old 08-25-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I don't use any special tool, just a couple of pins, small ruler and marking pencil. I get perfect corners every time and you can not tell where I started and ended, it looks just like any joining of strips. I will be giving a class in a few week, I will make a tutorial while preparing my samples for the class if anyone is interested.

ann
I would love to see a tutorial on this. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Banned

The 1/4" foot on my sewing machine always helps me get the best binding, using 2" cross-grain double-fold strips. And I stop just one stitch shy of 1/4" from the end and backstitch. Then I pull out the quilt from the machine, clip threads, fold my mitered corner, and begin stitching again. For the final joined seam, I have a tutorial on my blog here: http://quiltscapesquilting.blogspot....ng-lesson.html
Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe search for my show on bindings. This is done without any tools.
I probably have all the "special binding" tools made and found very little use for them. I do know that others have found these gadgets helpful.
I watched Holice's video and it is very helpful! I do have a question: when you refer to the cut size of the binding strip being 6 times the width of your seam, that would be 1-1/2 inches if you had 1/4" seam, right? I know that can't be right. And if you do 3/8" seam, I think it would be 2-1/4", but I thought I heard you say 2-1/2" (although the sound quality isn't the best on my computer).
Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 AM

I cut binding 2.5inches if I am doubling it over and sewing one side by machine and the other by hand. If I am machine sewing it on both sides, I cut it 2 inches. Hope that helps..
Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by flikkem
I don't know if you consider it a tool but it's my book on bindings entitled Happy Endings.
This sounds like a good book. I'll see if I can find it. Are you going to autograph it for me? I'll check Ebay. :thumbup:
Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 AM

I've been using the Fons and Porter binding tool. I don't know how to do it any other way. Can't wait to see the tutorials.
I'm very interested in all of them. :thumbup: