Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite portable project?

What is your favorite portable project?

Later this week, I will begin attending a weekly "sit-n-sew" at a wonderful quilt shop (I will only go once a month as I live 60 miles away). Each person works on whatever they like to bring. I tend to not lug my machine to classes, but just go take notes and enjoy the fellowship of other quilters - then actually sew at home. At first, I was trying to think of a new project to work on, but I'm also considering working on hexies or something similar that is small and easy to carry. What are your favorites? THX!

Hexies/GFG are my latest favourite on-the-go project.
    I have everything kitted in a zippered CD case.
    So it's nice and small and tucks nicely in a purse or tote.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    hex's right now are my (travel) sit around and stitch project---I also like working on cathedral windows...I haven't worked on my Cathedral window project in a while- it is white on white backgrounds & batiks in the windows...someday it will be a shade in my sewing room- I love the way the sun shines through the batiks. anyhow---those are my favorite carry around projects right now- changes all the time- tumbling blocks were last years main sit around project. had lots of fun with those.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I try to have hand work to do. Bindings and the like. The machinens are too heavy to lug back and forth, and I only live a few blocks from where we quilt!

Yo yo's are really easy to do ... and do by hand while having fun sharing with others.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
    Yo yo's are really easy to do ... and do by hand while having fun sharing with others.
    I was going to say yo yos also! I have a lidded basket with fabric squares, Clover yo yo makers, needles, thread and scissors. It sits by my side of the couch and goes in the car when we are traveling. I don't have a project in mind for them yet but I do have a bunch of them made and I will be ready when inspiration hits!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

OK, AliKat and auntpiggylpn, I am intrigued with the Clover yoyo makers, but what does a person do with a bunch of yoyos? A quilt or coverlet made of them doesn't get backed, right? This probably sounds stupid, but I see myself getting tangled up or toes stuck through the open spaces where they are joined together. Please help, I'm yoyo challenged, lol. :-)
    Laura

Blog Entries
    Here is one where the yo yos are sewn to a quilt top http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/pdfs/Bloom_Quilt.pdf

here is one where they actually put fiberfill inside the yo yos. http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple...-yo-quilt.html

And here are some projects using yo yos. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...jects_ss2.html

I believe that if you make a yo yo coverlet without backing, you lay it across another blanket; but if you attach your yo yos securely on all four sides, I don't know why you couldn't use it like any other blanket or quilt. I'm really liking the idea of putting the fiberfill in them!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Recently bought a light weight Brother machine that is easy to take. So any small piecing project. Avoid cutting, it needs close attention. I've also started inking with Inktense which is pretty easy to take. Also hand applique, binding, pockets.

Blog Entries
    I have nearly finished a reverse applique quilt. I did each block by hand. You could take top fabric and underneath piece and pattern. If they have a light box mark there cut and hand sew. Once start machining leave at home
    Finished is better than a UFO

Cathedral window... started it 6 yrs ago after I won a trip to the Daytona 500 and wanted something to keep me busy on the plane and in the airport.

I sew strips 3-4 inches long to make sashings for later. Also bring a piece or 2 to mend. That way is is fun not work. Hugs

WoW... There are so many options. I usually take something with me when I go to the doctor's office or have to wait somewhere..... I can't stand to just sit anywhere. I often take an applique block that I'm working on or a red work block that needs to be embroidered. My cathedral window quilt is too big at this point to take with me anywhere but the individual blocks to hand stitch closed or turn inside out works. Let us know what you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    Here is one where the yo yos are sewn to a quilt top http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/pdfs/Bloom_Quilt.pdf
    here is one where they actually put fiberfill inside the yo yos. http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple...-yo-quilt.html
    And here are some projects using yo yos. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...jects_ss2.html

I believe that if you make a yo yo coverlet without backing, you lay it across another blanket; but if you attach your yo yos securely on all four sides, I don't know why you couldn't use it like any other blanket or quilt. I'm really liking the idea of putting the fiberfill in them!
    Thank you so much for these links! Great inspiration! :-)
    Laura

I like to take redwork along with me, whenever I have too much time to sit, I find time goes by better if I am busy working on something, not a lot of thinking involved, I can carry on a conversation. lol (And I call that mulit tasking.)

My portable project is a panel that I'm embellishing with all kinds of embroidery stitches. I take it with me to the quilt group but am usually too busy visiting to get anything done!

My favorite is Grandmothers Flower garden. I've been making a huge one for 10 years. I usually only work on it while traveling or at a group meeting. Easy to take with you.

Just don't do what I did one year and left a baggie of completed ones in the back of the airline seat.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

I've been intrigued by Bonnie Hunters hexies in progress while sitting in airports and down time travel. Maybe that would be a good one for me. Those of you who do this do you like it?
    SEW MUCH FUN!

I have a quilt as you go Grandma's Flower Garden. I make each hexagon into a mini sandwich and then stitch them all together.

I like to do my cutting when I go someplace. I try to prepare the night before by getting the pieces into manageable sizes and finish the squares or triangles on the go. I have a cutting mat that is about the size of typing paper. I can get a lot done. It feels good not to waste time.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Right now I am hand quilting and hand sewing a grandmother's flower garden which when finished will be finished. The hexagons are done by hand and hand quilted then sewn together by hand. I will post a pic whenever I finish. It may be months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by granny64 View Post
    Right now I am hand quilting and hand sewing a grandmother's flower garden which when finished will be finished. The hexagons are done by hand and hand quilted then sewn together by hand. I will post a pic whenever I finish. It may be months from now.
    Please tell me more about how you do hexies/GFG as a QAYG?

I've just finished a tabletopper and am almost dreading continuing on to the handquilting ... so would have liked to have had it done, when I was done. Your technique has me intrigued for future GFG projects. Thanks!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thanks for the link to the all people quilt site which had a yo-yo wreath idea. I think displaying this on a front door would surely say a quilter lived here.

Our group meets once a week. A lot of handquilting going on. Plus embroidery or crochet/knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by sewplease View Post
    OK, AliKat and auntpiggylpn, I am intrigued with the Clover yoyo makers, but what does a person do with a bunch of yoyos? A quilt or coverlet made of them doesn't get backed, right? This probably sounds stupid, but I see myself getting tangled up or toes stuck through the open spaces where they are joined together. Please help, I'm yoyo challenged, lol. :-)
    When my son was an infant he had to have surgery to repair a cleft pallet. The volunteer ladies gave him a doll made of yoyo's. He treasures it to this day and now he is in his 40's.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast