Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite portable project? >

What is your favorite portable project?

What is your favorite portable project?

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM

Default What is your favorite portable project?

Later this week, I will begin attending a weekly "sit-n-sew" at a wonderful quilt shop (I will only go once a month as I live 60 miles away). Each person works on whatever they like to bring. I tend to not lug my machine to classes, but just go take notes and enjoy the fellowship of other quilters - then actually sew at home. At first, I was trying to think of a new project to work on, but I'm also considering working on hexies or something similar that is small and easy to carry. What are your favorites? THX!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Power Poster

Hexies/GFG are my latest favourite on-the-go project.
I have everything kitted in a zippered CD case.
So it's nice and small and tucks nicely in a purse or tote.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

hex's right now are my (travel) sit around and stitch project---I also like working on cathedral windows...I haven't worked on my Cathedral window project in a while- it is white on white backgrounds & batiks in the windows...someday it will be a shade in my sewing room- I love the way the sun shines through the batiks. anyhow---those are my favorite carry around projects right now- changes all the time- tumbling blocks were last years main sit around project. had lots of fun with those.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:03 PM

I try to have hand work to do. Bindings and the like. The machinens are too heavy to lug back and forth, and I only live a few blocks from where we quilt!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:18 PM

Yo yo's are really easy to do ... and do by hand while having fun sharing with others.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
Yo yo's are really easy to do ... and do by hand while having fun sharing with others.
I was going to say yo yos also! I have a lidded basket with fabric squares, Clover yo yo makers, needles, thread and scissors. It sits by my side of the couch and goes in the car when we are traveling. I don't have a project in mind for them yet but I do have a bunch of them made and I will be ready when inspiration hits!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 PM

OK, AliKat and auntpiggylpn, I am intrigued with the Clover yoyo makers, but what does a person do with a bunch of yoyos? A quilt or coverlet made of them doesn't get backed, right? This probably sounds stupid, but I see myself getting tangled up or toes stuck through the open spaces where they are joined together. Please help, I'm yoyo challenged, lol. :-)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Here is one where the yo yos are sewn to a quilt top http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/pdfs/Bloom_Quilt.pdf

here is one where they actually put fiberfill inside the yo yos. http://mousechirpy-polkadotpineapple...-yo-quilt.html

And here are some projects using yo yos. http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...jects_ss2.html

I believe that if you make a yo yo coverlet without backing, you lay it across another blanket; but if you attach your yo yos securely on all four sides, I don't know why you couldn't use it like any other blanket or quilt. I'm really liking the idea of putting the fiberfill in them!
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 AM

Recently bought a light weight Brother machine that is easy to take. So any small piecing project. Avoid cutting, it needs close attention. I've also started inking with Inktense which is pretty easy to take. Also hand applique, binding, pockets.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 AM

I have nearly finished a reverse applique quilt. I did each block by hand. You could take top fabric and underneath piece and pattern. If they have a light box mark there cut and hand sew. Once start machining leave at home