Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE QUILTING BOOK AND WHY?

Blog Entries
    I am just curious...plus, I find quilting books to be relaxing and at the same time they get the thought process going on a never ending road! LOL.

Right now, I have a book called BIG BOOK OF BEST-LOVED QUILT PATTERNS that I would have to say is my favorite. It contains 82 patterns ranging from strip piecing to special techniques.

My main reason for this being my favorite is because of the variety it offers. I can spend a few minutes browsing or sit with it for a couple hours and ponder over fabrics, layouts and if I could actually do that!!

So what is your favorite quilting book and why do you like it so well?

Quilts Through the Seasons by Eleanor Burns

This book is so helpful for new quilters like me. It has great patterns which are easy to follow - with pictures!

Also, it has directions for each pattern in a variety of sizes.

Great idea for a thread - I am anxious to hear other opinions.

Blog Entries
    i love egg money quilts by eleanor burns. i love her techniques.

Blog Entries
    My favorite changes all of the time LOL

I put so many on hold at my library, the list is forever ongoing... just when I think I find a favorite? another email, trip to the library and a "new" favorite is in my hands.

Do I really have to pick just one :lol: :lol: :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DebQuilter50
    Quilts Through the Seasons by Eleanor Burns

This book is so helpful for new quilters like me. It has great patterns which are easy to follow - with pictures!

Also, it has directions for each pattern in a variety of sizes.

Great idea for a thread - I am anxious to hear other opinions.

Although I do not have any of her books, I enjoy watching her videos and find them fun and interesting. Always something new to learn and intrigue interests. I am looking forward to the responses.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
    i love egg money quilts by eleanor burns. i love her techniques.

She is an instructor it would be amazing to meet and talk with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    My favorite changes all of the time LOL

I put so many on hold at my library, the list is forever ongoing... just when I think I find a favorite? another email, trip to the library and a "new" favorite is in my hands.

Do I really have to pick just one :lol: :lol: :D:D:D

I go to the library and check out books often. I had a hard time chosing the book I did. Plus, like you, at some point it will change...over and over. LOL

Blog Entries
    I just got the Seasons...book

Blog Entries
    I think it is Harriet Hargrave's book on machine applique. I learned *so* much from that book!

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicca
    I am just curious...plus, I find quilting books to be relaxing and at the same time they get the thought process going on a never ending road! LOL.

Right now, I have a book called BIG BOOK OF BEST-LOVED QUILT PATTERNS that I would have to say is my favorite. It contains 82 patterns ranging from strip piecing to special techniques.

My main reason for this being my favorite is because of the variety it offers. I can spend a few minutes browsing or sit with it for a couple hours and ponder over fabrics, layouts and if I could actually do that!!

So what is your favorite quilting book and why do you like it so well?
    Whichever one is in my hand at the time. I fall in love all over again every time I pick one up!

I love Eleanor Burns (and I have a bunch of her older books), but my go to books are "Quilting for People who don't Have Time to Quilt" by Marti Michell and Barbara Johannah's Crystal Piecing.

Harriet Hargrave - The Quilters Academy Freshman Year - very good for fine tuning techniques.

Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting - excellent reference that doesn't treat being left handed as a disease or afterthought!

ANY book by Eleanor Burns!

My favourite book is "The Essential Quilter" by Barbara Chainey. Through this book I fell in love with wholecloth quilts and the beautiful traditional British quilt patterns.

My second favourite is "Traditional Quilting" by Mavis Fitzrandolph - I am full of respect for hand quilters in former times and how they managed to do such wonderful and skilled work under hard circumstances and and with simple tools.

And I thought I was the only one with ever-changing taste LOL! With regard to technique only (not quilt patterns), my go-to book is always the good 'ol Fons & Porter Complete Guide to Quilting. I have an edition that's as old as the hills, but the general information is still great.

I'm a fan of Eleanor Burns also; for quilt patterns, her books can't be beat. I think Nancy Zieman has done some nice stuff lately as well. But really, there are too many designers that I love to count them all!

I love Bonnie Hunters "Adventures with Leaders and Enders" book. It has totally changed the way I organize and use my scraps. After using her book, I now know how to make two quilts at one time!

Blog Entries
    Big Book of Scrap Quilts. the quilts aren't really scrappy... there are about 10 quilts in this book I want to make.

Blog Entries
    All of Kaffe Fassetts and Edita Sytar's books as they get the creative juices flowing. For old ones, I love the series "The Quiltmaker's Gift", old standard quilt blocks done differently.

Blog Entries
    It is fun reading the posts. So many selections to check into and broaden my quilting horizons even more. Thank you to everyone for responding. Looking forward to reading more responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicca
    It is fun reading the posts. So many selections to check into and broaden my quilting horizons even more. Thank you to everyone for responding. Looking forward to reading more responses.
    I agree!

My basic is The Complete Guide to Quilting from BH&G. It explains all the different techniques and is a great reference for the color wheel, quilt sizes, and fabric requirements. It shows various ways of doing things and doesn't take the position that one way is better than another.

Also like Blended Quilts by Marsha McCloskey. Her quilts are gorgeous and very traditional.

Banned
    Anything by Eleanor Burns -- Still Stripping is an awesome book! (although, my husband giggles every time he sees the title)

The Border Book- by Janet Kime- amazing borders with directions telling you how to make them fit your quilt which I think is the most important part.

I just looked it up on Amazon and think this is the same book that has a tenth anniversary edition on sale right now for $16.47.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaC
    my go-to book is always the good 'ol Fons & Porter Complete Guide to Quilting. I have an edition that's as old as the hills, but the general information is still great.
    That is my go to book too for the charts...setting squares, triangles, etc. I have too many other books to really have a "favorite"...but I love sitting in the evening with a pile of books on my lap to browse through and get inspired by.

My favorite books is Quick Quilts from Your Scrap Bag, by Leisure Arts. I have made several quilts from it, and they have become dearly loved heirlooms. To me, nothing is more beautiful that a scrap quilt.

Blog Entries
    I haven't been quilting long enough to have a favorite book!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast