Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your Favorite Small notion Under $5.00

Blog Entries

What is your Favorite Small notion Under $5.00

I am in a Christmas Exchange and we are suppose to buy "our" favorite small notion- under $5.00 I have no clue who will get the package/gift and don't know these ladies very well- any suggestions ?
    Thanks
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Several years ago I bought a set of nesting pop-top tins from Keepsake Quilting (I think) - what I liked is that anyone with arthritis could easily pop the thing open and close it without having to grip it in any way. I cannot find it in any of the catalogues, but this is what it looks like: http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/t...op-minttin.htm. If you can find this, terrific - if not ...

Our local JoAnns sells Design Trends brand LOCK-UPS, which are storage cups that seal tightly and stack; they come in various sizes. For my guild gift exchange, I got the one that's 1 1/2" deep and then topped it with a home-made pin cushion. The pins can travel neatly inside the container to class, and the twist closure ensures no spillage.

I couldn't get by without my seam ripper, so that must be my favorite.

It's hard to find something under $5 anymore but a few ideas are a new seam ripper, a rotary cutter blade, pretty spool of thread, package of sewing machine needles, CHOCOLATE ;-), Sewing Edge, 120" tape measure, small bottle of Retayne or Synthrapol or Best Press, those cute little embroidery scissors.......hope that gives you some ideas.

I really like my "Purple Thang" which is great for poking out corners or threading elastic or ribbon.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

A magnetic bowl for pins from an auto parts store is handy!

I also love my purple thang, and also a curve turner I got at JoAnns. It is a white plastic tool about 5 inches long that is pointed on one end and curved on the other. I use it all the time for "finger pressing" seams. and pushing seams into submission. I also use disposable scalpels that I got at a surgical supply store for seam rippers. They are super sharp and super pointed. When they get dull, just toss them as they are only about $1.50 each. Another repurposed tool I use is bamboo skewers to hold seams together in close to the presser foot. If you accidently hit it with the needle, the skewer breaks and you toss it rather than the needle. Sometimes you can find cool stuff for under $5. Good luck.

seam ripper, I too just got a magnetic parts holder (love it!), something else I just bought was a hobby tool set (under $5 at the Harbor Freight) 3 Small screwdrivers, magnifying glass and small pliers...This stays in the sewing

Power Poster
    Under $5 is a little tough but mine would be seam ripper, flower head pins or Purple Thang. Who couldn't use a new ripper, they do get dull fast for some of us that use them a lot. The pin cushion on a jelly jar with the flower head pins inside would be cute. Maybe a package of the easy thread needles?

Pin magnets! I have my pins seperated by type , so each gets its own magnet. Dont forget pins, I like a very fine pin especially for batiks or any tight weave fabric ( no hole) . Varigated thread is always fun to play with.
    I am a starch addict , and they have some really nicely scented starches . The linen , or lavender scent are my favorites.

How about one of those telescoping wands with a magnetic tip to pick up pins and seam rippers off the floor without bending? JoAnn's has them and you could probably find them at a hardware store too.

Blog Entries
    A package of heat resistant template plastic. Under $5 with a 50% off coupon
    “The simplest toy, one which even the youngest child can operate, is called a grandparent.” Sam Levenson

Pin cushion, thimble, spare bobbins, threader, measuring tape.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by myreda View Post
    How about one of those telescoping wands with a magnetic tip to pick up pins and seam rippers off the floor without bending? JoAnn's has them and you could probably find them at a hardware store too.
    This is one of my favorites...but I also have one that has a twist on light on the end of the wand. It's even better...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Clover THIN tipped seam ripper..
    Magnetic wand
    magnifying tweezers
    small scissors or thread nippers- I'm always misplacing mine so I keep plenty of them handy..
    1x6 ruler for small trimings
    Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 12-05-2011 at 11:44 AM.

A needle threader, one that has a different size wire on each end.

mltquilt

Quilting pins or a seam gauge
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Saturday I picked up something to help me make perfect triangles its a Fons and Porter item that I saw on one of the tutorials on here. It's called the Quick Quarter you mark your fabric on each side of the guide, sew on the line and cut it in half. It cost me $3.30

We certainly can't buy much for $5 any longer. The only thing I can think of would be a seam ripper.
    Lynn

Blog Entries
    Seam ripper, quilting needles, and the little scissors.
    "Sometimes it's OK if the only thing you did today was breathe."
    Good friends are right there with you.

Susan

The other day I found a mirror at Harbor Frieght that's about 1 1/4"x 2 1/2" (or somewhere around that). It's actually a magnet on an elastic band that fastens with velcro. It's a magnetic pin holder to wear on the wrist. Silver pen looking extension magnets are great for picking up pins, they also have magnetic bowls and rotary blades. Tuesday Morning usually has some sewing items at a greatly reduced price.
    If no one ever experimented we'd all still be making 4 patches.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    I really like my "Purple Thang" which is great for poking out corners or threading elastic or ribbon.
    That is what I was going to say. I also love my flat head pins.
    Happy Quilting.

Blog Entries
    Seam ripper.

I just typed a reply which disappeared from my screen when I clicked, so hope this doesn't show up twice. My new favorite thing is a Frixion marking pen. You really can write all over your fabric, then touch it with an iron and the marks disappear. The cost around $3. Second favorite, which someone else has already mentioned, small magnetic bowl from Harbor Freight, $2.98, for holding pins, needles, small scissors etc. while working on a project.

Blog Entries
    The little "PURPLE THANG"...love it!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast