Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: What is your Favorite Small notion Under $5.00

Blog Entries
    You could even make her (if it's allowed) one of the pin cushions with the thread catchers attached. The tutorial was given on her several months back I believe. I have made several of them, and I use mine ALL the time and love it. When I make mine I use a different lining to coordinate with the outside fabric and they look so cute. It doesn't take much fabric or time.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

I'm crazy about my square straight pin holder that has a magnetized bottom. It helps me keep up with my straight pins and needles. Now I don't sweep them off my sewing table onto the floor when I move fabric around when I'm sewing.

I bought a stiletto that cost $3.00. It is a nice looking tool and is very handy. There is also a button hole cutter in the same range.

Blog Entries
    Glass head fine silk pins, the longer the better. A gift certificate, a seam ripper (never can find one when I need one!!) is a great idea, a timer (I set it when I have something in the oven, or have to get to an appointment, saved a many cake when I am lost in sewing heaven).
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

seam ripper, magnetic pin holder

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
    I really like my "Purple Thang" which is great for poking out corners or threading elastic or ribbon.
    I second this! I have had to buy multiples of the "Thang" as I seem to use it multiple places! I find it friendlier than an awl or sharp stylus.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiR View Post
    It's hard to find something under $5 anymore but a few ideas are a new seam ripper, a rotary cutter blade, pretty spool of thread, package of sewing machine needles, CHOCOLATE ;-), Sewing Edge, 120" tape measure, small bottle of Retayne or Synthrapol or Best Press, those cute little embroidery scissors.......hope that gives you some ideas.
    Where do you find rotary cutter blades for less than $5.00? The last time I bought a single blade, it was over $6.00.
    My favorite cheap sewing aid is a ruler from Office Max. It cost me less than $2.00 and is exactly 1 1/2 inches wide,
    which is perfect for cutting strips for string quilts. Thread, sewing machine needles and measuring tape as already
    suggested are good ideas. May I suggest two identical tapes so that they can be connected to make that center point
    measure. I've been unable to find a ruller with -0- in the middle. Hobby Lobby didn't know what I was talking about.
    Happy quilting Grandma

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    I am in a Christmas Exchange and we are suppose to buy "our" favorite small notion- under $5.00 I have no clue who will get the package/gift and don't know these ladies very well- any suggestions ?
    Thanks
    Maybe you cow ld make one of those caddies to hold a hot iron. Surely the materials would not cost more than $5.00.
    How about a pin cushion? Easy to make and cost almost nothing.
    Happy quilting Grandma

Blog Entries
    Great question and even greater answers for us all. I like a leather thimble but not sure how much they now cost. Metal ruler at WalMart's in the office supply section, as I cut up wooden ones and even try to kill off the plastic ones ouch!!

Blog Entries
    I collect all types of pin cushions. There are so many designs on the market or even better sew on of your own.
    Sharon (The "Babyquiltlady")
    http://www.uniquebabyquiltboutique.com
    http://learnhowtomakequiltbinding.com

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Pins. I like the very long corsage pins. I can get only a few for less than $5 but they are worth it.
    Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes.

Believe it or not but a package of paper re-enforcements. I have discovered they are wonderful for holding the bobbin thread tail on top of my bobbin. I hate having all those little threads hanging out of my bobbin holder. So I put the loose end of the thread on top of the bobbin and then add the re-enforcement to hold it.

I've also started writing (very small 100% if it's 100% cotton) on the bobbin so I can tell if it's cotton or polyster.

Good luck and have fun !!!
    Gold and Silver are made purer and stronger by Fire.

Blog Entries
    Needle threader, marking pencil or chalk, seam ripper, thread snips or scissors, tweezers.

I have an odd item that has become one of my favorites. I got it at a model train show, of all places. I think it was intended to be a paint mixing tool; it is stainless steel, has a tiny spoon-like shape on one end and a rounded spatula shape on the other end. The spoon comes in handy for finger pressing, and both ends are helpful when turning sewn items right-side out, helping get the corners sharp. I think I paid 3.99 for it. I liked it so much I had to find one for my sister, so I found a set of clay carving tools that contained a similar tool at Harbor Freight.

Oh! Just had another thought. I have some plastic airline tubing, maybe 5/8" diameter, and cut slices maybe 3/8", then cut the slice open. This makes a handy wrap for bobbins to keep them neat. You can get the tubing at Home Depot or similar stores, sold by the foot. One foot will make a lot of bobbin wraps.
    Last edited by jlm5419; 06-18-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Me too! It is the best notion of all and good for many purposes.
    Karen from Appleton, Wisconsin

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    What about one of those little things you look through and it's the opposite of binoculours (sp?)? It shows you if your color choices are distributed evenly. I THINK I paid $5 for it. I love it and can't get by without it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I would think most all would buy the seam ripper or measuring tape. I would look for something different and not as likely to be thought of to swap. Here are a few things that I have given for $5 max exchanges.

http://www.sewunique.com/cf.htm
    http://sewtrue.com/Store/Magnetic-Seam-Guide-P442.html
    http://clover-usa.com/product/75916/...im_Chaco_Liner
    Got fabric?

My first thought was the seam ripper, too. BUT I really like the kind that are flat and fold into the handle. They don't roll off the table and there is no cap to lose.

I would say a good seam ripper or a marker that washes out. Also you could make a darling pin cushion.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    I am in a Christmas Exchange and we are suppose to buy "our" favorite small notion- under $5.00 I have no clue who will get the package/gift and don't know these ladies very well- any suggestions ?
    Thanks
    I'm old and stiff and one of my new favorites is an extending magnetic stick that I can pick up pins, scissors, seam rippers, whatever with------also works great for the piece of stainless steel that I drop with every meal.

And the magnetic tool bowls instead of pin cushions.

ALL AT HARBOR FREIGHT!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by myreda View Post
    How about one of those telescoping wands with a magnetic tip to pick up pins and seam rippers off the floor without bending? JoAnn's has them and you could probably find them at a hardware store too.
    Oh I love my telescoping magnet...got it at Harbor Freight...it was cheap...but works great....

clover seam ripper,magnetic wand, bamboo skewers is awesome to name a few.

I like the pins flat headed button pins from Dritz - you can iron over them.

Blog Entries
    Telescoping magnet from auto parts store or dept (about three foot long is the one I have); seam ripper; stilletto; bamboo skewers; chop sticks (believe me they comes in handy for a variety of things); small spray bottle for misting; pkg. of sharps or betweens; fiberglass tape measure (at least 120"); metal ruler from office supply place; metal tape measure from the hardware store or dept.; pkg. of real cork corks; fabric erasers; roll of Press 'n Seal Wrap and a Sharpie fine point marker; Flat flower head pins --the longer and finer the better; roll mat for camping or kindergarten --the compressed cell foam ones --great to help eliminate machine walking if you're using a portable machine. And that is the tip of the iceberg.

A piece of 8 X 10 acrylic from Lowe's.........I made my own twister template for use with 5" charm squares.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5