Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:24 AM

Default I made a puzzle piece

I make a 18" square-ish puzzle piece. It was for a charity event, where everyone bought and decorated a foam core puzzle piece as they saw fit. I made a crazy quilt, glued it to the puzzle piece and cut around the curves. I went to the gala and the three walls were covered with color and creativity. It was awesome!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:45 AM

When my friend lost her husband, she asked me to make a red velvet cozy for the urn of his ashes that was to be buried in the family plot. It was sort of like a padded circular scarf. Quite plush. Quite unusual, but it made her feel better.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 AM

I fabricated an extendor for my husbands jeans after he had an appendectomy and the jeans rubbing at his waist caused discomfort for him. I also have made many dickies that cinch up in the back made out of polar fleece to be worn under your jacket when riding a motorcycle...keeps the chest nice and warm.
Michelle
Old 11-09-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by lizzyq View Post
When my friend lost her husband, she asked me to make a red velvet cozy for the urn of his ashes that was to be buried in the family plot. It was sort of like a padded circular scarf. Quite plush. Quite unusual, but it made her feel better.
That was so dear of you!
Michelle
Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mombeth07 View Post
My daughter works in hospital also. Some of the scrubs tech were wearing some and because they not sterile they told the workers not to wear them anymore.
When I worked L&D, we had the option of wearing hospital scrubs, or our own, If we wore our own, we had to wrap them in a sterilizer wrapper and send them to be autoclaved. We each selected different days to keep from overwhelming sterile supply. They really didn't need to be sterile, but sanitized. We couldn't wear them to and from work. In delivery, we placed a sterile gown over the scrubs. The hats and shoe covers had to be changed for each case, so having custom hats was a pain. We saved those for when we worked in newborn.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:23 AM

Default Unusual....

So far... nothing _I_ consider particularly unusual. However, I do renaissance festivals, so... *shrug* But one of my favorites is a doll for a friend out at faire. He plays a Transylvanian lord in 1533 (No, not Vlad Dracul). The character is Baron Timish. He also loves moose. So... Baron Timoose. He loved it, and his wife told me he sat at home on the couch and chatted with Timoose. (My friend is not a small man... and so it's kind of silly to think of him chatting like a small child with the stuffie!)
Attached Thumbnails timoose.jpg  
Old 11-09-2011, 05:26 AM

A friend of my husbands, likes to go on reinactments of a time of a period of time. He is an electricion and asked if I would barder putting an exention on what her referred to as a Officers tent. It was made of canvas, round kind of like a tpee looking thing. He has a handicapped son that uses a wheelchair and he wanted it to be taller so his son was able to move around in his wheel chair. I did the tent for him and he has done many electrical jobs for me and I have also done more sewing for him. It is an excellent trade off, he thinks he gets the best deal and I know I do.
Michelle in Omaha
Old 11-09-2011, 05:35 AM

I fixed pizza bags for a local business.
I made pouches with a shoulder strap to hold the drain bottles for breast cancer patients.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 AM

A "chore chart" that my daughter requested to use with her children. It hangs on the wall and they put little gold wooden stars in the pockets for each chore for each day.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 AM

When my son was growing up his hobby were exotic pets (snakes, lizards, etc.) He asked me to make a snake bag for him - a breathable bag with a tight drawstring closure so he could carry his snake in his inside jacket pocket.