Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what's the most you would pay for a yard of fabric?

Is it made out of gold? LOL!
    will quilt 4EVER

Actually I don't think I would want that fabric at any price--not even a couple dollars a yard...only to be used, maybe as backing for charity quilts (I thought it quite "not attractive).

But your question was "what's the most you'd pay". I have paid almost $10 for one fat quarter from ebay of a special Israeli fabric that I wanted to put into my daughter's memory quilt (I make each child a memory quilt to take to college and she had a been on a dig in Israel so I wanted some fabric with Hebrew writing on it.)

Blush blush.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    For crying out loud...you're comparing a Hyundai to a Ferrari and asking how much would you pay for a car.
    Yeah but i would like to know what extra amenities a yard of fabric could possible have to jack the price up to over $200.... Does it come with built in GPS?
    Just Mel

Quote Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
    Suddenly I can tell my husband I just saved over $200!!!!
    Made me smile.
    Annie

Mon Dieu!!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

If you are still looking for romantic/French inscription fabric try Michael Miller French Journal Collection available for about $9 / yard on Amazon.com . Amazon also carries ooh la la by Moda for about the same price. Good luck!

Here is the sample of the Michael Miller fabrics from Amazon.com

IF I were rich, and loved the fabric I would probably pay that. But since I am neither rich or do I like the fabric I am pretty safe. The most expensive was probably some corduroy I bought years ago that was 19.00 per yard, but I fell in love with it. I could not get it out of my mind, so I finally went back and bought enough to make a jacket. Still have it too.
    Amythyst

It really depends on how much I like it, how bad I need it.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

was it made in China, like the Olympics clothing?

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    all I can say is wow ! not me, I would get a marker out and do something with the embroidery machine before I did that ..wow.. LOL too rich for me ..
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
    http://www.interiormall.com/cat/nsam...=196343&t=4394

oh my! I was looking for "romantic or French words" fabric and this is what I found. If you don't want to go to the link, it's $204.00 a yard. You read that right.
    For his wedding my son and his attendants wore kilts, and I bought two yards (60" wide) of the matching tartan (our family's plaid) to make vests for the young ushers and ring bearers. I paid $84 a yard and believe me, I had to screw my courage to the sticking point to cut into it. Not only the price made me quake, but there was no getting more of it if I messed up; tartan is woven by order. So, no. I cannot imagine paying $204 a yard for fabric! Or cutting into it!

To the question of how much would I pay - I really don't like to pay full price anymore. But it depends. As so many of us, I love to buy fabric but already have so much. And it never fails that I either don't have enough of what I need - or need to find just that something that I don't have. So I bought an Accuquilt GO which I never thought I would buy, and I am diving into the world of scrap quilting. So far I have used my 2 1/2 inch strip cutter a TON.
    Bernina 440QE
    Bernina 1150 serger
    Janome 1000CPX coverstitch

I actually really love the fabric. I could see it on a large sofa as a gorgeous piece. I wish we could see a larger piece of it.
    Bernina 440QE
    Bernina 1150 serger
    Janome 1000CPX coverstitch

To answer the question, I just paid $11.50 for a FQ for DH's retirement quilt. The first and probably only time I'll pay that much, but the fabric was perfect and he's worth it.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

You can price something any price you'd like, but that doesn't always mean someone will pay it. For quilting fabric, I try not to go over $7.00 a yard and that's just for focus fabric. I almost ALWAYS wait for sales and clearance unless it's something I have just fallen in love with.
    Karen in Kentucky

I once had a bridal client that had commissioned me to make a rehearsal dress out of $78 a yard beaded fabric. I looked at the layout for a week before cutting it.

A fat quarter would have to be a 1/4" for me to buy it. lol

OUCH! I already have a problem spending $12.99 on a yard of LAQ fabric, but HAVE done it when it's something I really, really want. Once. lol I think I prefer garage sale bargains when I can get them.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Ralph Lauren. Not surprised. This is the unprincipled designer who designed uniforms for US Olympic team and had them made in CHINA. (Guess he couldn't find a US manufacturer.) He then put the blazers up for sale to the public at $600 for women and $800 for men. I wouldn't give you 2 cents for anything he has for sale.
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Dee
    I would hang it on my wall and just admire it. I would never cut it.

I think I'd get myself a Sharpie and start writing. I'm sure I could come up with an acceptable alternative--especially for that price. Heavens!

oh my! I was looking for "romantic or French words" fabric and this is what I found. If you don't want to go to the link, it's $204.00 a yard. You read that right.
    OMG! It isn't even that gorgeous. I've seen prettier at WalMart--thank you very much!

all the words are embroidered, not printed....and it's Ralph Lauren fabric. Still a bit out of my price limit.

Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Hancocks of Paducah has home dec fabric as well as a huge collection of quilting cottons. The first home dec roll I fondled was $80 per yard. I dont go to "that side" any longer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast