Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What's sad about being a quilter...

When I moved from Ottawa, my quilting soul mate made me a gorgeous lone star quilt :)

Blog Entries
    I have three special quilts, one was made by my grandmother, one was made by my mother and one was made by me. I would like one from each of my two sisters and one from my very special friend, but they are busy and just knowing that they are enjoying themselves making quilts for others is good enough for me. We all live through each other's quilts anyhow. Edie

I never have time to make myself a quilt. I have the fabric for a very nice quilt for myself but not the time.

Blog Entries
    I have been blessed with several quilts from my mom. We usually get a quilt for Christma and there is 7 of us kids. You cant tell a difference in her stack of quilts though. She has a whole room that is piled high with quilts. Wish you all lived closer so I could take you to mom's and show you.

My good friend, Maureen, made me a lovely throw. I cherish it.

I taught my middle daughter to quilt, last Christmas she made quilts for her MIL and step mother. My feelings were so hurt but I bit my tongue. In January I was diagnosed with breast cancer, she showed up the next day with my quilt, she had just run out of time and knew tha as a quilter I would understand that issue. I take it with me to all my treatments, it is super special.

I received my very first "for me only" quilt from Magnolia last Christmas as she was my Secret Santa. It is so wonderfully warm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor
    That is soo true!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    Gee, I hadn't thought about that... thanks. Now I can be sad, too. ;)

It is sad that I have a quilt on my LA frame and I have to go to work instead of working on it.

Sooooo true. My rehab is the making of the quilt, and if I am the only one liking them so what! They are mine and the pleasure (rehab) for me is the process. :-D

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    This is why I spend gobs of $$$ on fabrics! I make myself quilts. The best part about making your own quilt is that you get exactly what you want.

I beleve in prayer...I know God works I am 11 years free...

Blog Entries
    Amen-but it is nice when they support your habit with gift cards and such!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    So many fabrics .... so little time.
    Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?
    Are you kidding? This is my rehab!

True! My own mother made quilts for my brothers and their wives, most of their kids. I finally asked her if she was ever going to make one for me. She asked,"Why? you can make one for yourself." She finally did make one for me & I treasure it... and yes, I had made a quilt for her.

Quote Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
    You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
    Sometimes I think people think making a quilt for a quilter would be like making dinner for Martha Stewart!

NOTHING...Actually I have made a few quilts for my home--my mom was a crocheter and made many blankets for me and my children--I still use the ones she made for me. I also have a lap blanket my sister made me many, many years ago--my favorite colors (fall colors), so I still use it.
    NOW THE GOOD PART: My daughter is making a scrapbook for me including most of the quilts I have made so far with a story about each--They have all been for family--We have 21 grands and 5 great granddaughters so a lot of work. BTW, I have been quilting since Oct. 1998.
    Another good part of quilting is the friends one makes!!!

Blog Entries
    I've made lots for others, some are on their second quilt now. The requests keep coming in and I still don't have one.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
    So many fabrics .... so little time.
    Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?
    Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters!
    HAHA!! Thank you for my first laugh of the morning!!!

Blog Entries
    People in my family give me their cast off machines. No one sews unless it is a button on a shirt. Make me a quilt, I will never see the day but making quilts for other people gives me a great deal of satisfaction. I love it. And I rescued a home made quilt at Goodwill for $2.99 and it is exactly what I wanted. Hmmm, devine intervention?

I can make a quilt for myself...I appreciate getting something from someone that I myself cannot, would not, could not make or do......One year rec'd from my (now ex) son-in-law a coffe table that he made......I cried because I realized how much work went into it and he took the time out of his busy life to make it for me.....that was and still is a very special thing in my life......have afghans, hand embroidered tableclothes and crocheted doilies made my grandma, aunt, mom that are near and dear to me. My concern with all of these "treasures" is where will they end up when I am gone...probably the nearest Second Hand Store........not one of the younger generations in this family are interested in heirlooms of sorts........think it is all clutter........

The sad part is that I still have to work 40 hours / week and don't have enough time to quilt. No one has ever made a quilt for me, but when I visited Lancaster, PA many years ago, I purchased two lap sized Amish made quilts that I cherish and display in my house. It is inspiration for me since both were hand quilted beautifully.

At the end of the term for our guild president she is given a quilt top. The Secretary is in charge of getting a group together or hand out blocks for members to make, then she sets them. It is a nice thank you for the work she did for the guild that year.

I am a lucky one my mother made two for me, and love them , she is not able to do any sewing any more,

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast