Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's sad about being a quilter... >

What's sad about being a quilter...

What's sad about being a quilter...

Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by sguillot
Very true. I went to counseling after my husband died and I did talk about the fact that I started many but never finished them. After 3 long years of greeving, I am finally starting to quilt again and have actually finished a couple with many more to go but it's a start.
Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
So many fabrics .... so little time.
Am convinced this craft is totally addictive... has anyone gone into rehab?
Phe! Rehab is for quitters not quilters!
I went thru this with my Mom. I was her care giver & before she got ill, she couldn't brag enough on my quilts that I made. But the older she got she resented it because it took time away from her (this is the only reason I can think of why she would change so much) I then felt guilty for sewing for several years & just now getting where I'm wanting to sew somewhat. I (we) never know how much time we have here on earth so I plan on doing what I want when I want now with out trying to feel guilty. That house work is always there the next day! :D
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM

No one has ever given me one, but I have two that I have purchased. I love them both. I have a friend/coworker who made a quilt that I have told her I want and I will pay for it. For some reason, I don't think she wants me to have it and I suspect it's because she feels I could make one like it myself... which I suppose is true if I could find the fabric she used! lol. On the other hand, I would cherish one that she made because she is the person who finally convinced me that I could make a quilt myself.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

Sad but true
Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM

I've been blessed. I have a quilt my grandmother made me 29 years ago, one my great-aunt made me also 29 years ago, one my mother made me 4 years ago and also a quillow my aunt made me.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 PM

I have a baby quilt my grandmother made for me by re-working and even older worn out quilt. I can see the different layers in it now. I'm 53. I also have an appliqued flower quilt that she made in the 30's of solid colored fabrics and that vintage green for the sashings. It's folded over a ladder in my bedroom. I have never made a quilt for myself either but I plan to...someday.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Not enough time. I want to live forever, Just enough time to finish my UFOs :D
Old 10-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by HomespunHandmaiden
You know what's sad about being a quilter?...No one ever makes quilts for us. I make quilts for other people but no one has ever given me a handmade quilt :(
Nope...not necessarily true...I have a dear friend and fellow board member here(Riversong) that has gifted me 2 quilted wall hangings...so I feel especially blessed and lucky to have such a friend...she has also done special orders for me...don't know what I'd do without her...Naomi

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-05-2011, 02:22 PM

join in the doll swap and at least you'll get a small quilt made just for you by a quilter.

you could also join in a block swap and then you'll have enough blocks to make a top and all you have to do is quilt it.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM

I'm working on one now for my best quilting friend. She loves Asian prints, but refuses to cut any of hers ....... so I'm cutting mine and making her a quilt for no reason at all! She will be thrilled. :)
Old 10-05-2011, 02:35 PM

Well, it depends on if your friends/family are also quilters... I've got two bed quilts that have been given to me, one from my mom, and the other from DH's grandma. I've also got a really nice table topper that my MIL made me.

But yes, in general, that's true. My mom and my sister and I made a lap quilt for my grandma, and she was very touched. She said it was the only quilt anyone had ever made for her (and she made quilts for all the grandkids, and several other people over the years)