Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when an award winning quilt is sold, who gets the ribbons? >

when an award winning quilt is sold, who gets the ribbons?

when an award winning quilt is sold, who gets the ribbons?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:38 PM

I only have one ribbon to brag about but not giving it away! I too love Bj's idea. Congratulations Rob do what makes you happy!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:45 AM
Power Poster

I,too, feel you should keep them but provide proof of the awards if you sold it as an award-winning quilt.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by toogie View Post
IMHO I think you earned them you keep them. They are buying the quilt not the prestige.
I agree with toogie. Keep the ribbons.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
Interesting topic!

I say they are your ribbons. I like BJ's suggestion of a good quality photograph of the project with the actual ribbons for yourself, nice shallow box that can be displayed if wanted or simply stored easily and as a nice reminder if not. As a quilter and collector of objects, I would want the provenance/story of the awards for appraisal or just documentation purposes, and would be thrilled if someone had that ready for me with purchase and would probably forget about asking about it myself and kick myself later. If someone wanted to buy the ribbons I think that would have to be decided as a separate value/transaction and that you would have every right to refuse to sell.

this is my favorite comment so far.
i also agree with those who suggest providing photos of the ribbons and the quilt together, plus copies of any other documentation regarding the awards.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 AM

It would never occur to me to give the ribbons with a quilt that I sold. They'd have to pry my cold-dead fingers away from those ribbons before I'd give them up.

If the new owner was interested, I could provide proof of the awards, but not my ribbons!!! LOL!
Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 AM

If the new owner is impressed with the awards, how about taking a photo of the ribbons to put on fabric and attach it as you would a label on the back? The ribbons are part of the quilt's story. Personally, I would prefer that as the ribbons themselves can be lost.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Keep the ribbons. If you cited the awards it won as a selling feature to the quilt, I think I would include notorized copies of any paperwork with the quilt for provenance such as judging critiques or any paperwork that says this quilt earned xyz at show abc, but not the ribbons, they are yours, you earned them. Another way to look at it.... I have adopted/purchased retired show cats. Both cats achieved championship status in their show careers. One was a big regional winner in the CFA (takes many ribbons to get to that level) and the other earned triple grand champion status. Both of these cats earned the huge rosette style ribbons. The ribbons did not come with the cats and I wouldn't dream of asking for them. I didn't do any of the work to get them into the shows (transport, fees, grooming, benching, travel time, etc). Even though the cats earned the ribbons, they couldn't have done it without all the hard work of their breeders. I feel it is the same for the quilts. Keep the ribbons. If the new owner wants to try showing the quilt to try and earn a ribbon, that is now their prerogative as the new owner. Although I would certainly hope they give credit where credit is due and not attempt to show it as their own work. Toogie's post was spot on.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:38 AM

You made it and owned it at the time, so the ribbons should be yours.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by bj View Post
I’d make a nice shadow box with a picture of the quilt and the actual ribbons it won. Without your effort and creativity, it’s just fabric. If the new owner has an interest in documenting the quilt’s winnings (provenance?), give them a notarized photo of its ribbons. Just my opinion. (0:
I would keep them but be sure to take pictures of the quilt for yourself before you pass it on the the new owner. I like the shadowbox idea from bj so you will always have a nice record of your quilt & notarized photo of the ribbons for the buyer. Congratulations & could we see that quilt?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:19 AM

You did the work, the ribbons should be yours. It might be nice to include a picture of the quilt with the ribbons attached when you give it to the new owner, but I would save the actual ribbons.