Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When do you start thinking about Christmas and holiday projects?

Blog Entries
    I have already started planning what to make for Christmas gifts this year, although it won't be with the sewing machine. I'm going to put my crochet hook to use this year for my co-workers.

I just got around to ordering some Christmas fabric today. I started a BOM Snowman quilt in January and have made several quilts that I'll give as Christmas gifts. I so love to make Christmas quilts from Christmas fabrics!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    When someone posts a thread in June about the *$+$*&%% Holidays. lol
    I don't celebrate, so no need to think about it EVER!

I have begun already, but my downfall is that I end up giving them to the person now, because I can't wait until the actual occassion...So. I end up running at the last minute to buy a gift for the actual holiday or birthday....

Actually, I start thinking about Christmas in January.

I have already finished a few things for Christmas.
    Amythyst

I've been known to start in January..altho my planning can start whenever I get an "Aha!" moment.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

I never do them as the expense is not warranted for such a short use during the year.

I think about Christmas presents all year long. I make a list of items and ideas for gifts on excel. As ideas come to me, I add to the list. As far as making anything on that list, it is slow going. Very very very sloooow! Too busy making birthdays, weddings, and baby gifts in my spare time. I am in the middle of a Christmas lap quilt, I thought I would make it for me, but probably when it is done, it will be for a Christmas gift for someone else!

I'm working on a large appliqued wall hanging called "Dash Away". I have all the applique done and now adding embroidered antlers and sled runner scrolls using metallic threads. After it is quilted, I'll be embellishing it with beads and crystals. I had bought this pattern and the materials in 2010 and am now getting around to it. I usually run into this kind of project too late in the season to get it done. I have another project that I want to do and had bought the pattern and fabrics last year. It is called "Bringing Home the Tree". It is a pieced and appliqued project using fairy frost fabrics for the background. I can't wait to get to that project too.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

Blog Entries
    Since Christmas is my favorite time of year it is always in the back of my mind when checking fabric. It may be just right for a specific person to make into a gift.

My quilt guild use to have a Christmas project night in November.............we NOW do it in July so that people actually have a chance to finish it BEFORE Christmas!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I am working on clothing for the kids for Xmas right now, and have been for a month .. 18" Doll clothes to match her dresses for the 5 year old, the 13 & 15 year olds will be tops, skirts, tops !LOL OH yeah and all 3 will receive a new quilt, spoiled eh ? YES indeed!LOL
    Also jeans, undergarments & socks are bought for all 3. This way they go into the new year with a new clothing wardrobe and a new quilt from their obsessive Gma. But come Xmas time I will have it all done (hopefully!!) LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I start thinking about it by the first of the year. Usually work on major quilted gifts all year long. This year is an exception, as I don't plan to make many quilt gifts this year.

December 26

Always on my mind. Some for next Christmas are from past Christmases that never were completed.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
    I never do them as the expense is not warranted for such a short use during the year.
    I don't always use theme fabric-----------more year round useful gifts.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Because we are down to one income last year and this year we are making christmas presents for our family. Last year we made a quilt for my brother and his wife and she thought it was the most beautiful present she has ever got. She was so thankful. We made Holiday Table runners and sent them out just before thanksqiving. So we have already started on our Christmas projects. Bought most of our fabric at the end of 2011 and got some great deals 60 and 75 % discounts at Joanns and our LQS.
    Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    Is it when the fabrics start appearing in the stores?

Or when the kids go back to school in the fall?

When the weather turns colder?

Or do you procrastinate until December?
    Robert F Brazell
    For the Love of Quilting
    Arlington, WA

I keep birthday and Christmas projects in the back of my mind all year long. Some get held over from one year to another...
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I began in January, working on quilts for my DD's and look forward to making other items for family members. If I waited until the fall it would be too late. I'm not retired yet so have to use my non-working hours to quilt and sew.

We will be focusing on Christmas projects when we tape our Oregon Quilting program in September. Quilters who come to the taping get a packet of freee fabric to make anything they want to make (and they keep the project) and show it the next month. I'll be watching the QB for fast easy Christmas projects. You are all GREAT at creating.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

All year long. I belong to a group that does projects for "Christmas Every Month." The idea is you're not pressed at the last minute to finish projects. It's a good idea but I still get behind.

I start thinking about it during the summer but I don't really 'feel it' and generally start sewing Christmas things until the kids go back to school - my vacation after 'summer vacation'. Plus it just seems right to pull out those Christmas projects when the air starts to get that fall crispness to it here.
    Shannon

I was making a wallhanging for my SIL for her birthday which was in February. Unfortunately I didn't get it finidhed in time, so she's getting it for christmas. That started me thinking that perhaps I ought to make things throughout the year for christmas and I've since made a couple of more christmas presents.

I start even before christmas LOL!!!! I amke alot of my gifts so once I'm done with christmas for the year I start the next LOL!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast